• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

There's something wrong with Clementine :(

Graciee

Staff member
I got back and she's just like flopped out.. Which I know normally means relaxed but Idk she doesn't seem comfortable :'( won't eat either, but I saw her eating hay earlier on the camera :( her stomach might be a little bloated to..? Hard to say because she's fat :'(

Can flopping, stretched out on her side be a bad thing?

Called my vet, my vets there, but nurse said she can't see her. Not even as an emergency, so gunna have to take her to a normal non savvy vets in an hour :/ actually think she's going to die.. She needs a proper vet :( I kept asking but the nurse was just like no, no way we can see her today...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh no :cry: can you ask to speak to your rabbit savvy vet to see if they can see her? Maybe the nurse doesn’t realise how serious it might be? I really hope she will be ok, I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Oh no :cry: can you ask to speak to your rabbit savvy vet to see if they can see her? Maybe the nurse doesn’t realise how serious it might be? I really hope she will be ok, I’m sending lots of vibes and hugs xx
I told her everything, apparently my vets doing an operation atm, Idk what to do.. :(

:cry: Are there any other rabbit savvy vets near you?
No :'(

I just rang them back but I don't think it'll make any difference :'(

Something feels so wrong.. And off idek my boyfriend is on his way home, but Idk what to do :'(

:cry: very hard to say what to do. If your nearest other vet is anything like decent I don’t know if it would be best to get her there ASAP and see if they can liase with a rabbit savvy vet further afield if possible. I’m sorry :cry:

Big hugs Graciee :( Any vet will do if it's that bad: I had a massive moment where I was CERTAIN we were going to lose Aboleth overnight Friday, but she's still with us: giving you Aboleth-hope :) if you haven't got the medication you think she might need on hand, then less-good vet must be better than no vet, right? Super best wishes for you all xxx

I'm really sorry graciee, you really don't need this on top of everything else [emoji17]

I have seen my buns flop excessively with abdominal discomfort and it's usually turned out to be gas. I really hope that's the case with Clementine. In the meantime, I agree with K that taking her to the emergency vet might be the only option if your rabbit savvy vet can't see you. Given the symptoms you've described I'd want them to do a blood glucose test to check for blockages.

Good luck, I hope she'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Big hugs Graciee :( Any vet will do if it's that bad: I had a massive moment where I was CERTAIN we were going to lose Aboleth overnight Friday, but she's still with us: giving you Aboleth-hope :) if you haven't got the medication you think she might need on hand, then less-good vet must be better than no vet, right? Super best wishes for you all xxx
I'm really sorry graciee, you really don't need this on top of everything else [emoji17]

I have seen my buns flop excessively with abdominal discomfort and it's usually turned out to be gas. I really hope that's the case with Clementine. In the meantime, I agree with K that taking her to the emergency vet might be the only option if your rabbit savvy vet can't see you. Given the symptoms you've described I'd want them to do a blood glucose test to check for blockages.

Good luck, I hope she'll be ok.

Thanks both xx

Yea my boyfriend has just taken her to a normal vets, I gave him the loxicom box with her details and dose on it, I'm hoping they'll give us the dog one at the right strength and not the cat one at a tiny amount :(

I would also want her seen by any vet if I was that worried, although I really wouldn't be happy with your normal vets' attitude. An emergency is an emergency in my view whatever type of animal and should be treated as such.

I hope that your boyfriend gets on OK. It's the examination that is the most important. Once they've done that then you will be able to suggest what medication should be given.

Sending her lots of vibes. Hopefully it's just gas.

So 15.7 blood glucose.

Vet was happy with the doses of dog loxicom and emeprid we already had but has upped the cisapride.. Its more than double what my exotic vet prescribed before.. I've found strung together poop again in her litter tray so I'm guessing it's that..

I would also want her seen by any vet if I was that worried, although I really wouldn't be happy with your normal vets' attitude. An emergency is an emergency in my view whatever type of animal and should be treated as such.

I hope that your boyfriend gets on OK. It's the examination that is the most important. Once they've done that then you will be able to suggest what medication should be given.

Sending her lots of vibes. Hopefully it's just gas.
Completely agree tbh. I'm really not happy, I called back and the receptionist said she'd call me back, 35 mins passed, I rang back, she said oh vets in surgery again I haven't asked.. Then said she would and apparently my vet said to take Clementine somewhere else and they'd sent her notes.. :/ I really need another exotics vet close by, but it just doesn't seem like there is any decent ones :/

Problem is my vet is the only exotic vet there now, and she only works 4 days a week and is always booked up... It just doesn't work tbh :/

Poor Clemmy :( sounds like gas to me too as Toby would often do that during an episode. Lots of vibes being sent for Clementine xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Poor Clemmy :( sounds like gas to me too as Toby would often do that during an episode. Lots of vibes being sent for Clementine xxxx

Thanks Loobers, it was so scary she kept throwing herself down :'( I shut her in her cage which I never do because she kept doing it by the fridge and I thought she was gunna hurt herself :'( then she was doing this in her cage, then loafing but with her bum up in the air and her belly touching the hay..

It happened so quick, I have footage of her eating hay like a couple of hours before and doing some zoomies :( xxx
2bd8aa0eca67d6535fa4be4691762396.jpg

Oh and she did that sucking in thing again, boyfriend sent me this picture from the vets

afef701e556bd0f7c1171c01a51e7b81.jpg

Thanks Loobers, it was so scary she kept throwing herself down :'( I shut her in her cage which I never do because she kept doing it by the fridge and I thought she was gunna hurt herself :'( then she was doing this in her cage, then loafing but with her bum up in the air and her belly touching the hay..

It happened so quick, I have footage of her eating hay like a couple of hours before and doing some zoomies :( xxx
2bd8aa0eca67d6535fa4be4691762396.jpg

Awww yeah that looks very familiar to me. Also Toby would get gas very quickly and I never found any particular triggers. Clemmy is good hands In your care and will be ok xxx

Awww yeah that looks very familiar to me. Also Toby would get gas very quickly and I never found any particular triggers. Clemmy is good hands In your care and will be ok xxx

With treatment did he used to perk up quickly? She's on loxicom, emeprid and cisapride, I'm so worried she's in pain if there's no improvement by midnight I might either give her tramadol as well or take her back and ask for a vetergesic injection - I've never seen her look so uncomfortable before, I can't bare it :(

Thanks Loobers, means a lot xxx

I'm pleased that the consult went OK and that you've got some medication for her. I think you are probably right about the strung together poo as you can see she is moulting in the pic that your boyfriend took at the vets. I've had rabbits throw themselves over like that before, especially I remember after pigging themselves on cut grass. I hope she starts to improve now.

I'm pleased that the consult went OK and that you've got some medication for her. I think you are probably right about the strung together poo as you can see she is moulting in the pic that your boyfriend took at the vets. I've had rabbits throw themselves over like that before, especially I remember after pigging themselves on cut grass. I hope she starts to improve now.

Thanks Omi x

Yea she's still moulting! It's the moult that never seems to end tbh, been like it since August I think? So ready for it to be over.

I've never seen any bun flop like that before, only happy flops.. Maybe I've just been lucky before, it really scared me :(

I've had these with Fudgie and it is frightening because they throw themselves around so dramatically. Only thing I've noticed is that it seems more likely to happen during a moult. But there's no warning. She'll be eating hay quite happily and then about 15 mins later the tummy pressing and throwing herself about will start.

I hope Clementine is feeling better soon. From experience Fudgie has normally bounced back quite quickly after the metacam. Sometimes it's taken 2 hours, on a couple of occasions it's taken a few hours.

Back