• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression

Daisey

New Kit
I have acquired a jersey giant x continental lop female rabbit and am having a bit of trouble with her.
She has a large 2 story hutch and free run of my back garden.
She is fed Tesco rabbit nuggets ( tried other brands, she won’t eat them), and gets a mix of fruit and veg every evening.
She is approximately 4yrs old and rather large and intimidating.
When I go out to feed etc of an eve and she is out she will run up to me, jump up and try to bite (got me once, damned sore), when I try step out of her space she growls, hisses and keeps trying to jump at me.
Occasionally when I try to stroke her she hops and does happy skip, runs round me and plays. She’s quite happy for me to pet her when in her hutch.
It’s now got that I keep a wee broom handy and use it to push her away.
Am really not sure where to go from here as I’d love for her to come indoors but not if she going to keep attacking me.
I’d be grateful for any advice, Tia.
PS, she is not speyed either.

I would think she is hormonal, if you are able to have her spayed then I’m sure this will improve her behaviour, once the hormones have subsided a few weeks post spay.

She sounds like a very typical unspayed doe. She’s not being aggressive, just hormonal. Spaying would be an excellent place to start. Once spayed, bonding her to a neutered boy for company will very likely change her completely - she’ll be a very happy bunny indeed!

Great, thank you, I did wonder if speying her would help.
I’d love her to have a friend but was worried she would injure another rabbit due to her size.
At least now I can work on something to try get her happy. Thank you all.

I agree with the previous comments - I would strongly recommend getting her spayed ASAP (beside from the fact this is likely to reduce aggression and territorial behaviour, at the age of 5 years old unspayed female rabbits have around an 80% chance of getting uterine cancer which can be fatal). And I would also recommend moving her inside as she may feel isolated outside (possibly explaining why when you go out to see her she becomes defensive of her space). By making her a free roam house rabbit (alongside other massive benefits such as increasing life span) she will also get used to you more (your scent/the way you act) so she will become more comfortable with your presence and more accepting of attention. Almost guaranteed to improve your relationship. Hope it helps!

Back