• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your bunnies favourite treat noms

loobers25

Warren Veteran
I just wondering what treats you give your bunnies and how often is safe to give a treat? I have never fed anything sugary before. I bought a forage bag at the pet show (binky bunny shop) and I didn't realise it had dried apple pieces in it. The buns went absolutely bonkers for them so I bought some more dried apple bits. I thought as Dennis is approaching 10 next year I should let him let his hair down a little

Also Dennis says no jaffa cakes as he's watching his weight and needs to look good for Uncle John on Friday

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’m a mean bunny mummy :lol: they have treats daily but they are fibafirst sticks and apple twigs.

My wellies :censored: I presume Dilly just fancied a nibble!

Dillon has a small piece of wholemeal toast each morning, this started when I had to give medication and has never stopped. He is thin so I dont mind him having this and tiny pieces of fruit.

Susan has herbs and raspberry sticks etc - as she is rather rotund she has to reach up onto the furniture to find them.

Treacle has a tiny slice of nana every morning, she climbs my legs when I come in with my breakfast bowl ! also a Burgess blueberry bake at night, they actually taste quite nice :)

Hillian are extremely partial (and surprisingly well trained) to the rustle of dried cranberries. They go utterly bonkers for them. Here's what happens at bedtime - Hillian usually spend evenings in the living room under the table, then about 8pm, they go to 'bed' for an hour in the kitchen/diner. At about 9pm, they come back into the living room (when I've gone to bed) and keep O/H company. She'll go to bed about 11pm and goes into the kitchen and gets the bag of goodness. Gives it a rattle and all hell breaks loose. Two bunnies come flying into the kitchen diner and clamber all over hooman for a few cranberries. We use them as treats when they come in from the garden (voluntarily).
Also found out that Lillian has been spending alot of time under our pear tree. Discovered why that was too - she's been munching on the fallen pears.
Ordinarily fruit is not on the menu here - it can cause upset tummies, but Lillian has her sneaky ways. We're trying to get her weight down and she's not helping by sneaking free fruit.
Other treats we use are celery top leaves - they are quite yummy.
I do love Dillons wholemeal toast serving every morning.

Oaticakes for Rabbits (Facebook) all homemade by Liz from Rainbow Rabbits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ours go mad for fenugreek crunchies. As soon as I pick up the container they start circling each other in a frenzy as if they've not been fed for a week :roll:

They also enjoy parsnip, carrot and beetroot dried small pieces.

Rabbits LOVE banana so that is always a good option, however it is high in sugar so can’t be given often/in large amounts. My bunnies also love dried apple, but again this is high in sugar so not good too frequently. Other (somewhat healthier I think) treats I give are the Rosewood Woodland Loops and Sticks (I’m saying healthier because they contain hay). Also, Oxbow do great treats which I can’t remember the name of but they’re apple and banana flavoured if I remember right so they’re good too. I’d just say if you’re going to buy treats then stick to brands you know and trust like Oxbow and Rosewood as often in pet shops many ‘rabbit’ treats aren’t actually safe for rabbits (ie they include seeds etc.).

Mine get leftover fruit and veg as treats! Currently there's cabbage and the odd apple core: I'll always save them the banana end if I have one as well :) I've had massive success with fibafirst sticks, as well as the 'real' treat sticks from Rosewood Woodlands. I keep my fenugreek crunchies for lacing with baytril ;P

Back