• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aboleth's not very well; she didn't make it: UD post 26

Well I'm welling up a bit at your update, but so glad you have a vet whom you have such confidence in to help her. How lovely that he's taken her home to monitor. That's my kind of vet! :thumb:

As dire as the news seems to be, as you said, at least you know what you could be fighting and it explains the decline. I really hope it's still something that may be turned around and gives Aboleth some quality time left with you and Lopsy. Keeping you all in my thoughts. (((((((((((((((Huge hugs)))))))))))))) xxxx

I'm really sorry the update isn't so good [emoji17]

But I'm glad you've got such a proactive vet in your corner and it sounds like Aboleth is getting the very best care. I hope she was feeling a bit brighter when you went to see her this evening.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I;m so sorry to hear Aboleth is so poorly. I have a soft spot for her. You're vet sounds very caring. Lots of vibes for your beautiful girl, Lopsy too - is he ok without her?

She didn't make it :( She chose her own time though! My first call with the vet this morning was quite positive, she'd been taken off the drip and was seen to be drinking on her own. There was talk of it being very possible to send her home later, and I was due in at 17:15. But just an hour later I got a call and I guessed it wasn't good news: she collapsed and despite instant care from the nurses, she died :(

I went pretty much straightaway to pick her up (I'm not at work and I'd told the air museum I wouldn't be in today), after I'd rung the OH to let him know. The vet showed me her blood results and they weren't good: her glucose hadn't changed despite being on the drip! Kidney functions were all over the place (high and low), blood count was low as expected for her condition, and her calcium had halved from normal to very low :S The biopsy hadn't gone through yet so the vet offered to stop that, but I said I'd prefer it to go through as it might give answers. I didn't want a post mortem though, there didn't seem much to be learned that would be useful given Lopsy is showing no signs of anything being different.

Last night when I went to see her, she was 'spaced out' like she had been on Friday, but it was encouraging that she'd been eating dandelions enthusiastically :) Her quiet, spaced out periods were quite worrying though, as she'd done the same with me on Friday night. But she was at least eating for herself a bit and she wasn't in pain or anything, unlike very early on Friday night when she did some tooth grinding. She wasn't herself though, and kinda 'wasn't there' when I saw her, not even enough to give me a death stare, but I wouldn't describe her as having given up. Here she is in the hospital:

ytaVNaHsRz0ej8qFRRo1DmgvUjcVa0ufdsQcfCB-RWpgVJ6DlhPGryI300NjVJ_m0cDTjPpDxZdH1-FibvPdoSXhGprXOgQttJtjttydUwGZhbVPiHbgzVGDFXi-NenELIlxwHDt1RueGeVUlu3H55LvQEgnrlABq64Q6hIK1D2K6qp_HraFL1LHvEI_ghIWoGYpKFatebQapQeXMclD_NS9hNGxXrgvBHE1WeDH9TdjVEPqAl2OFbB4HdFden3wzEYN_er7IZ9GQdSAkv8CD-5yVR0RBi71ZbDyHLa2G9Bgx_2WJqvzEj8P17ZL0orV_DjAj-ywp72nh2_Ip4xkGK1xMOVbR_Ss4BVXnlIJ5XyZnP4T9l6KPJ_e764FB1dLzDJ2v_1IP_ISYNrYyC-ZPQmJoF3nttsRelL1GFfl_WtbmWkNQJbT7wL0oScgikzZfp60ujyCfAw4blq455VCdACuy39ZH3yy7MuWV112e6zYUjCdjMlNE3i_DS1olD8XVmhKqm-FO4CjXSYZFblvul5JZPxdFQ9J_iI6uGjVkIsrRxEf1FjIILXoG6DINNIEpA7cAu30Ki1II1dCl7TYnS8WAGW4f_6hKuqtKMesT4QwW7c65-aAr-uTaPyLiME8eaH3s_DSMm34ZRnAoJ9WbJrpN74e-mhXLBGG2z8qTjmPiKFeRTB3haQ=w481-h641-no

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/J6stuCPrYMfqDmCF7)

I'm... OK. Me and the OH were ready for this eventuality, given the prognosis was poor even without a certain diagnosis. It was sudden, especially after the slight improvement, but certainly not unexpected (I feel it's not uncommon that rabbits improve a bit and then decide to go?). I've left her with Lopsy in the playhouse. The vets were fantastic at making everything really dignified :) I've got the details of a local pet crematorium, although the OH suggested we should bury her in the hole she started in the lawn XD I don't think we can get a hole deep enough though, I think there's concrete under our whole garden (after we found what we think were cat remains in a plastic bag 2' down on top of concrete where the pear tree is now :S). I did tell him we couldn't flush her down the loo, because we've both got a kinda daft sense of humour :D I'm really grateful for all the help the vets gave her, they were awesome. None of us would have done everything differently and we are confident we did the best we could for her :) I think that's the most crucial thing: it's much easier to deal with this sort of loss if you feel you and everyone involved have done everything possible :)

Thankyou to everyone here as well: the support is always great and to know people are thinking of you at such a stressful time is comforting :)

It's been a :censored: weekend: with Aboleth being unwell and then power cuts (now hopefully resolved as well) I've not had much sleep and I'm feeling it. Going to have the shower I should have had Sunday soon and see if I can shift this cold, then ring the crematorium. I might start looking around for a new friend for Lopsy, if he and the OH are also ready for it :) I know that might sound a bit harsh, but Lopsy's welfare is important too, especially as it's winter.

We'll never forget our smart little girl though :) (This photo from 26th October)

AsEmExYTz2oJCkR-fQoVxJOPCGCIBmEIyG6XdJGHZfkRE2Sl3L6nNf3f7hq6pRg5lio4RTnurVrwzzTqfjnGooNSQV0EjAQTCIKWkLf4X9KSB0Cqqn5DP4LoYwVckuaqANVafxSQI_0kmwV-FjIVOOugPDCs_H-itsox56Zm8KbpxKNZvjo9shtd8fhFGpF1pEa3NF_AIdU3ckPRi9YHoHygUkWmS7tnYgMjP1QxFxEiqonTQ32ltp0crGfvH1xWAkqxfRWzDlId_GxuA5MAlHhBx7qdjCRTe9TEsqTDR9h-yv-1kCRWEOwZOcGADAJ5qzESRLKoMb1eoWei4RzUofZHTBf9UuEEwChSEoD6--Hpco1w2K30AeNzlNsVARvOaIqHcp8mexvwI9DMFVmVRF3SMG3iuTSyIIW8taMBLE-gX3GZy4hOEEuYPf1IOBYrbus4eKBcoZl6wriSJrp41OcPyqb03X_SINv3OpnxKOMvyN-GEjLyMqChs5onMP9vI8n2laR_j2yLK8_G_xrLWnKY77hDEfZ9F_doeC9xF_p2NMNLWSN5CbBF-FNkV41uP31xaMraYi1T9iBZySScXs0tOul29srUfVltEWYUEGNCCRjmhfr3MxKZm85o-T5qnE5lO-s9fBcMpeKjP-gJYvZWN70H8iHUwdB6cnXcD9QZJyvfoZW0f4A=w481-h641-no

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/dmx99xfzEPQg7jQC9)

So sad :( I'm glad she was spaced & not in pain for her final days. She had a lovely home with you. Sending my very best nose bumps to Lopsy. I'm pleased you're able to look for a friend for him sooner rather than later

sweet dreams beautiful girlie xx

I'm so sorry you've lost Aboleth, she was such a beautiful girl [emoji17] You did everything humanly possible that you could do for her and I'm really pleased you had such fantastic support and compassion from your vet. I think that really makes a big difference.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I don't think you're being harsh at all in thinking of getting another friend for Lopsy sooner rather than later. When I lost Peanut Butter I started looking for a friend for Snoopy very quickly. I felt really upset at doing it but at the same I felt it was the right thing to do for Snoopy and that the welfare of my remaining bun had to take precedence over my own feelings.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am so so sorry :'( I don't know what to say, sending you so many hugs xx

She was a beautiful bun x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I am so very sorry you have lost your special girlie :cry: She had a fantastic life with you, Matt and Lopsy and I agree that there was no more that anyone could have done. I will miss hearing about her and I'm sure that Lopsy will miss her very much.

I also don't think it's harsh to be thinking about another partner for Lopsy. He will need a friend to snuggle up to in the cold winter months.

I will be thinking of you all at this very sad time.

Oh, how very sad. :cry: I'm so sorry to see this news. You're all in my thoughts at this difficult time. (((((Huge hugs))))))

You did a stellar job caring for her and I find it all the more touching that she said goodbye in her own way. Precious girl, sleep well, Aboleth and sweet dreams.

I will miss hearing about her very much. She was a bunny's bunny to the last and what a unique soul. Bless her. xxxxx

I am very sorry to read this update onbeautiful Aboleth. You gave her such a magnificent life full of happiness and love and everything she needed.
Binkey free beautiful sweet Aboleth xx

Back