• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update and Bunny bonding

CraigBunny

New Kit
Hi everyone, because I haven't been on for ages thought I'd do a quick update / re-introduction. I have 4 bunnies, Craig - 1 year old, neutered male, brown Dutch bunny. Tina - 1 year old (possibly spayed) female BEW mini lop, Molly (aka pig) - 5 year old, spayed, black, x breed & Winnie - spayed, female Netherland dwarf. Craig and Tina live happily together and are inseparable. Molly lives on her own as a house rabbit. Winnie lives happily with my 11 guinea pigs (they're the same size lol)

I originally adopted Winnie as a male rabbit to live with my female bunny, Molly. After a few bonding attempts, I realised it was never going to work - Molly would constantly attack Winnie. I was looking at Winnie one day and realized, omg what if he's a girl! At the weekend my mother was coming over for my sons party so I decided to wait until then so she could help me check (she's had a lot of experience with rabbits) The day came, She took one look and said 'he' was most defiantly... a girl. I recently decided to get her spayed and started looking for a neutered male bunny. but lately I've noticed Winnie, Tina and Craig constantly sitting together (there's a mesh divide between them) I wondered if there was a chance they'd all live together. I thought it wouldn't work because I have no idea whether Tina's spayed (she's meant to be). So today I decided to take the chance. I set up a run in a neutral part of the garden and put Winnie and Tina in there, I sat in the run, gloves, towel, spray bottle and bucket of water at the ready... but nothing happened. Tina and Winnie just sat there, side by side eating grass. About 10-15 minutes later (they were still fine) I put Craig in there as well. It was amazing, all three side by side eating grass. Until about 10 minutes later Winnie decided to try and attack Tina - very random. Tina jumped back looking confused before lunging back at Winnie. I shouted and sprayed them and they both stopped and were absolutely fine again, sitting side by side. but Winnie kept doing it to Tina, Tina kept moving away from Winnie, not even reacting. Winnie did it to Craig a few times too, Craig also didn't reacted. Then they'd just sit back side by side like nothing happened.
What's going on here?? Is this a bonding thing? Will they ever bond?

It sounds like normal bonding behaviour. Winnie is showing dominance over the other 2 but there doesn't seem to be much aggression so it sounds as if they might all get along, if that is what you want. If you would like all 3 to live together you will need to keep them together next time without separating and hopefully they will all be very happy. You will need to monitor them very closely at first in case Tina is being left out. You really need to have Winnie spayed as this is making her behave dominately over the other 2.

Back