• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

High testosterone in neutered males

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
Does anyone have any experience of high testosterone in neutered males? I'm information gathering on options!

Does anyone have any experience of high testosterone in neutered males? I'm information gathering on options!

I might be wrong (no great surprise there) ... but I think J-J may have written something about this in the past. Or perhaps that was about rabbits who were unable to be neutered. Think you better just forget I spoke ....:roll:

I might be wrong (no great surprise there) ... but I think J-J may have written something about this in the past. Or perhaps that was about rabbits who were unable to be neutered. Think you better just forget I spoke ....:roll:

Good point though, I didn't think to look at old posts! There's one from someone who had the same issue, but no further details of how they addressed it. I can't find any others relevant, but might be looking for the wrong key words.

Good point though, I didn't think to look at old posts! There's one from someone who had the same issue, but no further details of how they addressed it. I can't find any others relevant, but might be looking for the wrong key words.

Please don't rely on my info! :roll:
Perhaps J-J will see your thread and respond.

Thanks, I will definitely read through later! I found that info on adrenals too, and suggested it to the behaviourist that was watching them for me, but she shot me down because it's "extremely rare" - personally I think it makes a lot of sense though! His hormonal behaviours started a good 18 months after he was neutered.

The one difficulty is that it's very hard to test the adrenals, because the trip to the vet tends to really stress them out, giving a high result regardless.

Interesting that your boys benefitted (albeit briefly) from the implant. I will see what our vet can come up with.

It seems there are two things they can do, that are both technically a type of chemical castration. An injection that shrinks the testes (which he doesn't have anymore anyway) and the implant that it sounds like your buns had Jane. The implant for dogs appears to need to be replaced every 6/12 months, so I dunno if that's the case with buns?

He's had a blood test this week, which came back showing high testosterone, so the vet is contacting a place that has more experience to find out what the options are. Due to his age (7) though, they're ruling out exploratory surgery to find any leftover tissue from his neuter op.

It seems there are two things they can do, that are both technically a type of chemical castration. An injection that shrinks the testes (which he doesn't have anymore anyway) and the implant that it sounds like your buns had Jane. The implant for dogs appears to need to be replaced every 6/12 months, so I dunno if that's the case with buns?

He's had a blood test this week, which came back showing high testosterone, so the vet is contacting a place that has more experience to find out what the options are. Due to his age (7) though, they're ruling out exploratory surgery to find any leftover tissue from his neuter op.

Yes, the implants are replaced every 6 months or so :)

That's good to know! Thanks, I'm feeling much less worried about it now. *Edited as I've checked the old posts and found the name of the implant*

We had them at a behaviourist, who was the one that suggested the testosterone issue, but she said the implants don't make a difference and if it really was high testosterone, we would basically just have to live with it. I'm relieved to hear they can work. I'm sure Poppy will be much happier too!

I've seen the suprelorin implants uses a lot in ferrets at work and mostly owners report they work well, they are replaced 6-12 monthly also. Best of luck!

Back