• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does bunny scrabble at me?

Leesa

Warren Scout
Not often my Fudge bunny will start scrabbling at me - what does this mean? So today I put some cushions on the floor so he could easily jump up to the sofa (he's nearly 6 years old and doesn't hop as high as he used to as much). So he hopped up, hopped on to my lap, I stroked him and then he started scrabbling/digging at my shoulder. I let out and 'ouch' and stopped him but he did it again and again. I stroked him again and then he bounced back off to hay box to eat. Does this mean he wants food or some other kind of attention? Or something else? He digs at the floor where I keep his hay and we often give him new hay when he does that. The only other times he does it are when he's being held and brushed etc and he's annoyed and wants to get down. He's pretty friendly, loves being stroked on the floor, but definitely is the boss - if we're in his way he will push your hand with his head or nip your legs!

Any ideas on this scrabbling at my shoulder, it's not the first time he's hopped up to the sofa to do it.

Obi digs me when he wants me to get out of his way or if he thinks there's something exciting underneath/behind me. Very annoying!

Obi digs me when he wants me to get out of his way or if he thinks there's something exciting underneath/behind me. Very annoying!

he's just hopped up and done it again a few hours later. I don't think it's as I'm in his way or theres something behind me as he could have hopped up on the top of the sofa.

My bunny does this too, it’s his way of telling me to move! Another one is sneaking up behind us and nipping right on the back of the ankle :shock: :lol:

My bunny does this too, it’s his way of telling me to move! Another one is sneaking up behind us and nipping right on the back of the ankle :shock: [emoji38]
I once had a bit of raw skin on the back of my ankle where a new pair of shoes had been rubbing. One of my buns sneaked behind me and sank his teeth into that bit of raw skin. I almost hit the ceiling!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I once had a bit of raw skin on the back of my ankle where a new pair of shoes had been rubbing. One of my buns sneaked behind me and sank his teeth into that bit of raw skin. I almost hit the ceiling!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Hahaha oooo raw too ouchies

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Dennis gives me ankle, socks and slipper nips. Maple gives me ankle head butts. It's a demanding/impatient thing...noms or get out

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

My bunny does this too, it’s his way of telling me to move! Another one is sneaking up behind us and nipping right on the back of the ankle :shock: :lol:

Oh he will definitely nudge me or nip if I’m in his way, I don’t think it was that.

He just did it again today - I don’t think it is to get out of his way as he usually pushes with his head or nips for that.

I had a party last night so I set him up an enclosure in my room instead of the lounge where he usually lives. So much tidying up to do and might paint his room tomorrow whilst all the NIC cubes are down so figured he can stay in my room again tonight. I put him on the bed to play/snuggles rather than me sitting in the pen I made. He explored, snuggled for a while. I put him back for a wee but he didn’t want one. So I put him back on the bed only for him to start scratching my shoulder, biting my dressing gown, stopped him then he started it again and then he nipped me lightly in the shoulder.

Can he get on and off when he likes or does he need you to pick him up and move him?
Has he got a digging pit?

My Mimzy, a Holland lop, loved to sit with me on my bed while I gave him a full body bunny massage. But if I stopped even for a moment to readjust and get a cramp out of my leg, he'd turn, scrabble and nip me till I began again. He was very demanding about his fusses. :lol:
I often found a resounding "OW!" got their attention, but bunnies are pretty much one note when it comes to their comfort, if they aren't getting it, they'll let you know! They don't really have too many ways to tell us of their displeasure that get quite the reaction this does.

I'll add that I always had to have a puppy pad on the bed under him because if he got really comfy he might let loose a wee. Or he could outright try to claim the whole of the bed by marking it. He liked to make his territory quite clear to everyone. :roll:

This being said, he really was a gentle bun and such a lovely companion. I take destructive or nasty behavior as perhaps a sign they might not be feeling well, since they'll hide their illnesses because they are prey animals. When was the last time Fudge saw his vet, even for a checkup? Maybe something is going on with his teeth? And I presume he's neutered if he's 6? (I don't recall if you said so before.)

Back