• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corrugated plastic for a tunnel?

OliveTree

Warren Scout
I've just had a delivery wrapped in corrugated plastic and I'm wondering if I can turn it into some kind of rabbit tunnel. Would it work, and would it be safe? I'm thinking both chewing and any hazards I haven't thought of - it will inside an enclosed run so I'm not worried about a predator chewing in (or a rabbit chewing out!). Has anyone done anything similar, and if so do you have any tips please??

I've just had a delivery wrapped in corrugated plastic and I'm wondering if I can turn it into some kind of rabbit tunnel. Would it work, and would it be safe? I'm thinking both chewing and any hazards I haven't thought of - it will inside an enclosed run so I'm not worried about a predator chewing in (or a rabbit chewing out!). Has anyone done anything similar, and if so do you have any tips please??
dear olive tree,--perhaps with supervision,but card board boxes make excellent-chewing,,tunnels,hiding/sleeping places,even poop boxes,sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Thanks! I do have some cardboard but it gets soggy so quickly in this English weather!
Just to say, if ingested, cardboard can cause gut slow down and stasis, I don't give cardboard to my buns anymore because of this

Sent from a Rockhopper penguin

Just to say, if ingested, cardboard can cause gut slow down and stasis, I don't give cardboard to my buns anymore because of this

Sent from a Rockhopper penguin

Oh dear - I've seen cardboard suggested in quite a few places so I thought it would be ok!

Cardboard is ok if the bunny doesn't eat it. Some do, some don't. Pets at Home do a fabric tunnel which is safer than plastic or you can find them on line under Cat's toys. :)

Thank you - I'll keep an eye out for any cardboard eating but I think it's been ok so far.

Do you think a fabric tunnel would work outside?

I have some but tbh they go through a new one once or twice then lose interest. Eating is their favourite pastime hence the need for lots of hay.

Rabbits vary I think in their enthusiasm for tunnels. My rabbits are outside (shed + runs) and I have previously given them long cardboard tunnels, which have come from delivery of tall plants. There has never been any interest and tbh I would rather they used the space for running. They do have a large cardboard box at the back corner of their shed, which they do use very often as a safe place. It's where they go for instance after they've returned from vet visits. The box has two holes cut in it and they have a short tunnel fitted into the holes. They use these tunnels to go in and out of the box, but I don't think they would behave any differently if the tunnels were removed and they just used the holes. I find it prevents them chewing the holes though. I often find tiny pieces of cardboard, where they have chewed, but I'm not convinced that they have actually ingested any and I haven't had any problem with cardboard.

:lol: Maybe I'm overestimating a bunny's need for tunnels then! I won't spend any money until I've given cardboard a proper go.

Cardboard is ok if the bunny doesn't eat it. Some do, some don't. Pets at Home do a fabric tunnel which is safer than plastic or you can find them on line under Cat's toys. :)

this is the key point, none of my previous bunnies ate cardboard. But Frosty does, and it caused a major gut slowdown, so they don’t get cardboard anymore.

Back