• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my bunny doesn't let me to trim his nails

zahra

Young Bun
Hello, i'm Dani's mom.:wave: Dani is so playful and wont stop for me to trim his nails, he just moves a lot and run away when i want to catch him. i watched some videos on the internet that was about how to trim bunny's nail but their rabbits were so calm and they just sat and no movement but Dani is not like that,not at all, so what should i do about it? :roll:

Hi, I've never attempted to trim my buns claws, for one she has very fluffy feet, and two my eyes aren't that good ! I just pop her along to the vets to se the nurse, they only charge £10. Maybe that would be an option for you ?

Does he need his nails trimming?
You can always just do one or two nails at a time - whatever he will cope with. Then try again another day to do some more.

The vet nurse is best if you're not sure about doing it yourself.My bridge pair weren't too bad ,but it was a two person job.One to hold them steady ,the other to trim the nails.House rabbits need their nails done done more than outdoor buns I suspect.

I agree generally vets/nurses charge about £10 for a nail clip so that may be the best option :) I cut my own bunnies nails, being indoors I do find they need them doing fairly regularly, although I do need some one else to hold the bunny securely while I clip.

10 pounds!!! That would be 60 for my lot!!!

My pet sitter/dog walker does them for me. I hold them and she does the clipping. None of mine would be still unless held gently but firmly.

Hi! This is really common as most rabbits don’t enjoy having their nails clipped. The way I have found most effective to clip my bunnies’ nails is putting them on a surface which is high enough that they won’t be tempted to try and jump down from (I use a bar stool). Make sure they have grip (eg: put a towel underneath them also). I am usually able to clip the front nails myself but have to get someone to help be for the back paws. Usually I lift the bunny’s front paws off the ground high enough that I can see the back paws, but by no means holding the bunny vertical or upside down (extremely dangerous). If you aren’t comfortable you could always take your rabbit to the vet to get their nails trimmed though. But if you do end up doing it yourself make sure you don’t but off too much and avoid the quick! Hope it helps.

Hi, I've never attempted to trim my buns claws, for one she has very fluffy feet, and two my eyes aren't that good ! I just pop her along to the vets to se the nurse, they only charge £10. Maybe that would be an option for you ?

aah yes that could be an option too, when he was younger i could do it myself but as he grows up it's really hard for me to catch him, the previous time i took him to vet and he did it but i prefer to do it myself. but if i can't be successful in this mission then i have to ask his vet :lol:

Does he need his nails trimming?
You can always just do one or two nails at a time - whatever he will cope with. Then try again another day to do some more.

that would be a good idea too, thanks for participation :love:

The vet nurse is best if you're not sure about doing it yourself.My bridge pair weren't too bad ,but it was a two person job.One to hold them steady ,the other to trim the nails.House rabbits need their nails done done more than outdoor buns I suspect.

yes right, thanks for participation, if i can't do it myself i have to ask his vet. :)

I agree generally vets/nurses charge about £10 for a nail clip so that may be the best option :) I cut my own bunnies nails, being indoors I do find they need them doing fairly regularly, although I do need some one else to hold the bunny securely while I clip.

yes good idea, i should ask someone else to hold him :)

10 pounds!!! That would be 60 for my lot!!!

My pet sitter/dog walker does them for me. I hold them and she does the clipping. None of mine would be still unless held gently but firmly.

right, i should give it a try and ask someone to hold him firmly :)

Hi! This is really common as most rabbits don’t enjoy having their nails clipped. The way I have found most effective to clip my bunnies’ nails is putting them on a surface which is high enough that they won’t be tempted to try and jump down from (I use a bar stool). Make sure they have grip (eg: put a towel underneath them also). I am usually able to clip the front nails myself but have to get someone to help be for the back paws. Usually I lift the bunny’s front paws off the ground high enough that I can see the back paws, but by no means holding the bunny vertical or upside down (extremely dangerous). If you aren’t comfortable you could always take your rabbit to the vet to get their nails trimmed though. But if you do end up doing it yourself make sure you don’t but off too much and avoid the quick! Hope it helps.

i'm not sure that works for me because my baby is a little bit crazy :lol: and no matter how high the place is, he want to run and i afraid he would hurt himself, after all i think i should ask someone to hold him, by the way thanks for participation :)

Back