• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Help please - fighting rabbits!

Like to say a huge thank you to Jacks Jane for recommending Honeybunnies and also for offering to donate to apy for a vacs for a Honeybunny
Omi deserves a thank you too as she is also going to donate :D
thank you ladies xx

Regarding the issue of hay in the garden, I find that I have to be careful not to get that. Where are you storing your hay? I store mine on a high shelf in their shed, but I have to take hay from there to a litter tray at the end of their run. If I take large handfuls, then lots of it falls onto the garden, so instead I make sure I fill a large bucket to transport it from the shed to the litter tray :)

I second zoobec's suggestion of covering the playhouse floor with vinyl or stable matting. The shed here has vinyl flooring (cheap offcut from a carpet shop) and so it is easy to sweep.

You'll find that you'll develop your own routine and it will all become much easier in time.

Like to say a huge thank you to Jacks Jane for recommending Honeybunnies and also for offering to donate to apy for a vacs for a Honeybunny
Omi deserves a thank you too as she is also going to donate :D
thank you ladies xx

You are very welcome Jill xx

Sorry Olive tree didn't know not to mention your first name! x

Oh that's fine, no need to apologise!

Cleaning out definitely becomes easier once they have been neutered, if you use litter trays with something like either newspaper, or I use wood pellet cat litter in mine, then put hay on top of that, then bunny can eat, poop and wee in that same spot. If you keep the floor of the playhouse clear of litter and hay, and use something like non slip vinyl flooring or rubber stable matting on that, it’s easy just to sweep up any stray poops. Then you can tip out litter trays into a bin bag, and brush it clean. I don’t actually wash any of my bunnies stuff down each time, although they are indoor and litter trained. I find keeping the litter trays clean but still smelling of them helps them to keep up with litter habits. You might need more than one litter tray if he uses a few places as a toilet.

Thank you for those tips! Some kind of flooring sounds like a brilliant idea. Wood just soaks everything up! I assumed that it was good to wash things weekly but if I don't need to then that would definitely make things easier. Oh dear, I hope I haven't washed away all the comforting smells :(

Regarding the issue of hay in the garden, I find that I have to be careful not to get that. Where are you storing your hay? I store mine on a high shelf in their shed, but I have to take hay from there to a litter tray at the end of their run. If I take large handfuls, then lots of it falls onto the garden, so instead I make sure I fill a large bucket to transport it from the shed to the litter tray :)

I second zoobec's suggestion of covering the playhouse floor with vinyl or stable matting. The shed here has vinyl flooring (cheap offcut from a carpet shop) and so it is easy to sweep.

You'll find that you'll develop your own routine and it will all become much easier in time.

A bucket! Why didn't I think of that?! I'm currently storing hay inside, by the back door, which probably isn't helping matters. I could probably store it somewhere else but I didn't want to store pellets outside in case they attracted rats, and it seemed easier to have everything together. You're right, I do need to develop some kind of routine and I'm sure I will speed up - eventually!

Back