• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Help please - fighting rabbits!

sorry i didn't see your FB message until late.
Firstly I would not use the word rescue to describe a place that has simply sold you un neutered and un vacs rabbits. PLEASE do not take either back there or they will just be sokd on again.
Likewise do not take advice or give rabbits to Pets at home..same story.
We can help so please either answer on here or my message through Honeybunnies on FB
For now keeping one in a carrier wirh food and water is better than risking them killing each other.
I am out tomorrow afternoon but will reply to your messages when I can..

and to add thank you to those recommending us :)

Firstly I would not use the word rescue to describe a place that has simply sold you un neutered and un vacs rabbits. PLEASE do not take either back there or they will just be sokd on again.
We can help so please either answer on here or my message through Honeybunnies on FB
For now keeping one in a carrier wirh food and water is better than risking them killing each other.

its heartwarming moments like these that make me love RU . I'm so pleased you can help Jill:love:

Hi Jill

So pleased that you can help :love:

Thanks Jill. I've just replied to your message.

I was in almost exactly the same situation like you - and I also felt like the stupidest person around.
Having had dogs and horses (and one cat) all my life, I ended up with two rabbits (the most wonderful rabbits in the world of course, who have their first birthday TODAY) because my son had bought them for his wife - only to realise very quickly that their lifestyle wouldn't allow them to keep them. So I turned my office (of app. 13 square meters) into a rabbit room with a desk in it and thought, while not ideal, that would be an arrangement we all could live with. I must say that I instantly fell in love with Lukaku and Onana, only wanted and want the very best life for them and thought the 13 square meter room with me and their homes (shop bought cages) and all my bookshelves in it is anyway not as much as I wanted for them. (We have a big garden where I made a run for them, but they can only use it when one of us is outside because we have foxes around) And then it became worse. After a weekend abroad when my brother-in-law looked after the rabbits - who seemed like the world's best friends - they had bitten each other so badly that my poor Onana has a lasting scar. I had to split the room with a fence, so they each had only half the room left to hop. And I had to take them to be neutered. Thankfully, our vets were lovely and not blaming me for having been an idiot who kept two male rabbits in one small room ... The end of the story is not a great one so far: We had to wait for their hormones to be settled and then re-bond them. And that was not as successful as we had hoped. They have days when they are wonderful together, cuddle and groom each other - but out of the blue they do start fighting again. Which means they can only be together when supervised (which is during the day as I work in this room). During the night they are back to the too small halves of their room. It makes me very sad. I love them so much, it would break my heart to give one of them away. But on the other hand I want them to have a proper rabbit life with enough space and with a friend. I am still hopeful we can make it. We let puberty pass a bit, then our vets' nurse who has experience will come and help us with bonding (any advice would be still VERY welcome) and hopefully they can be friends again. I do not regret having them in the slightest as they are my one and only rabbit friends but I can only warn others: Don't get two males that are so young that their bond is not stable. And don't get animals that you know nothing about ...
Best of luck with your boys - I so hope there is a way for you to keep them both.

Last edited:

Thanks for caring, Jill :love:

Waiting for owner to reply to a few questions so we can help but at moment she has said she's had to go out so update later

I am meeting Olivetree later to take in one of her males. She is getting the other vacs and neutered and will then hopefully adopt a female from us or another good rescue to keep him company .
I have suggested she makes a strong complaint to the other rescue

Last edited by a moderator:
I am meeting Olivetree later to take in one of her males. She is getting the other vacs and neutered and will then hopefully adopt a female from us or another good rescue to keep him company .

this sounds like a good workable solution. I'm sure Olivetree will miss one of her buns but feel so much better that he will be in safe hands with you

I’m so pleased to hear this. Hopefully both boys will get their own wifebuns and live long and happy lives. Can the other “rescue” be sent Rabbit Welfare information - might not do anything but may help if they are well meaning but a bit ignorant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is really good news! Thank you for helping.

Yes, as Jill has said, we have made the very difficult decision to ask her to rehome one of our boys. As I'm sure you can understand, we are heartbroken, but the rabbits' needs come first and we feel that this is the best way to keep them both happy and healthy in the longer term. We are so grateful to Jill and to everyone here for all the help and support.

I was in almost exactly the same situation like you - and I also felt like the stupidest person around.
Having had dogs and horses (and one cat) all my life, I ended up with two rabbits (the most wonderful rabbits in the world of course, who have their first birthday TODAY) because my son had bought them for his wife - only to realise very quickly that their lifestyle wouldn't allow them to keep them. So I turned my office (of app. 13 square meters) into a rabbit room with a desk in it and thought, while not ideal, that would be an arrangement we all could live with. I must say that I instantly fell in love with Lukaku and Onana, only wanted and want the very best life for them and thought the 13 square meter room with me and their homes (shop bought cages) and all my bookshelves in it is anyway not as much as I wanted for them. (We have a big garden where I made a run for them, but they can only use it when one of us is outside because we have foxes around) And then it became worse. After a weekend abroad when my brother-in-law looked after the rabbits - who seemed like the world's best friends - they had bitten each other so badly that my poor Onana has a lasting scar. I had to split the room with a fence, so they each had only half the room left to hop. And I had to take them to be neutered. Thankfully, our vets were lovely and not blaming me for having been an idiot who kept two male rabbits in one small room ... The end of the story is not a great one so far: We had to wait for their hormones to be settled and then re-bond them. And that was not as successful as we had hoped. They have days when they are wonderful together, cuddle and groom each other - but out of the blue they do start fighting again. Which means they can only be together when supervised (which is during the day as I work in this room). During the night they are back to the too small halves of their room. It makes me very sad. I love them so much, it would break my heart to give one of them away. But on the other hand I want them to have a proper rabbit life with enough space and with a friend. I am still hopeful we can make it. We let puberty pass a bit, then our vets' nurse who has experience will come and help us with bonding (any advice would be still VERY welcome) and hopefully they can be friends again. I do not regret having them in the slightest as they are my one and only rabbit friends but I can only warn others: Don't get two males that are so young that their bond is not stable. And don't get animals that you know nothing about ...
Best of luck with your boys - I so hope there is a way for you to keep them both.

Thank you for sharing your story, and I'm sorry that you have also been in this awful situation. I hope they are enjoying their first birthday! And I really hope that they can be friends again soon. I hope you'll keep us updated.

Last edited:
Yes, as Jill has said, we have made the very difficult decision to ask her to rehome one of our boys. As I'm sure you can understand, we are heartbroken, but the rabbits' needs come first and we feel that this is the best way to keep them both happy and healthy in the longer term. We are so grateful to Jill and to everyone here for all the help and support.

Oh, what a very difficult and sad decision to have to make :( Bon voyage little bun, I know Jill will look after you well until she can find you a home.

Thinking of you OliveTree and sending lots of hugs.

It is a difficult & sad decision - I agree. I do feel its the right one & will save ongoing heartache. I hope you're managing ok x

I have commented on the other rescues FB page but they see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Say cannot afford to neuter so let rabbits go as they are for £20..also look to home guineas with rabbits..dreadful

A very difficult decision, but the right one for both Rabbits. You can rest assured that Jill will only home the Rabbit you sign over to her once he's been neutered and vaccinated and any prospective Adopters will have to meet good Rabbit Welfare Standards.

I have commented on the other rescues FB page but they see nothing wrong with what they are doing. Say cannot afford to neuter so let rabbits go as they are for £20..also look to home guineas with rabbits..dreadful

*sigh* :(

I can only imagine what a heartbreakingly difficult decision it was. I hope you can take consolation from the fact that he will be extremely well looked after during his stay at Honeybunnies and that Jill will make sure he will only go to the very best home.

Lots of hugs for you. It's not fair that you're having to go through all this when you should be enjoying time with your bunnies.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Unbelievable :/

Sorry you have to go through this OliveTree :( x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Well done to Jill and Olivetree for doing the best thing for the bunnies :love: I hope in time the remaining bunny can be bonded with a honeybunny :love:

Shame on the other ‘rescue’ :cry:

Back