• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent Help please - fighting rabbits!

Very blurry pic but here is the little lad we have taken
6 months old and now named Madigan. Olivetree upset as giving him up but what a lovely family. such a shame you were let down

madigan021119 by Jill Woodward, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, thank you for everyone's support. It was an incredibly difficult decision to make but, after having met Jill, I very much felt the sense that it was the right decision and I know that the lovely rabbit is in very safe and expert hands. I also got more information from Jill in our short conversation than I ever had from the 'other' place.

It's so frustrating to see the Facebook discussion that Jill mentions though. It's been phrased very much as vaccination and neutering being something that any responsible pet owner should deal with themselves and not expect someone else to pay for, though it was never a question of cost for me :/

Anyway, as someone has said (sorry, I hope you'll forgive me for not replying individually), it hasn't been the best start to rabbit ownership unfortunately but we still have one lovely boy and we will find him a friend in time.

Oh, cross posted with Jill there. He's such a lovely bunny! Thank you for helping us and him out.

On another note - fireworks have started here and our remaining bunny is looking a bit scared :( He has lots of hay and we'll pop out and check up on him as much as possible but does anyone have any more tips? Unfortunately I can foresee this lasting for at least a week. I don't think it's any of out immediate neighbours but some of the bangs are pretty loud.

I am sorry you have had such an upsetting introduction to keeping rabbits but at least now you are on the right road to having 2 very happy Bunnies. As for the fireworks, most rabbits don't bat an eyelid. I expect your bunny is missing the other rabbit but he should be fine and you could put a teddy in there tomorrow or next time you can buy one. Lots of single buns have a teddy.

I am sorry you have had such an upsetting introduction to keeping rabbits but at least now you are on the right road to having 2 very happy Bunnies. As for the fireworks, most rabbits don't bat an eyelid. I expect your bunny is missing the other rabbit but he should be fine and you could put a teddy in there tomorrow or next time you can buy one. Lots of single buns have a teddy.

I agree, your bunny has had a lot of changes in a very short time. As long as he feels secure in the playhouse, he should be fine. A teddy, or any soft toy actually, is a good idea.

I concur a soft toy is a great idea. My bonded bunnies have a soft toy rabbit that they love to sit next next to & groom almost as much as their real life companions. Its surprising how much comfort they get from them

A soft toy is a good idea. However, not all rabbits take to them. I gave Frosty a teddy and he knocked it over, bit a hole in it and started digging and chewing at it :lol: so I had to remove it :roll: a hidey place in the run and in the hutch is a good idea :thumb:

I hope that your Bunny coped OK overnight and you definitely did the right thing by contacting Jill and asking for her help. As this is all rather a 'Public' rehoming it may be a chance for us to acknowledge that Jill has no funding for her Rescue other than that she raises herself via various Fundraising events. So if anyone has a few spare pennies then I am certain a bag of food, some hay, forages etc would be much appreciated by The Honeybunnies & Honeypigs. Or maybe a 'one off' donation to cover the cost of a Vaccination

NB-I have 'Reported' myself to the Mods as I am not sure if this post is allowed ....................:oops:

I hope that your Bunny coped OK overnight and you definitely did the right thing by contacting Jill and asking for her help. As this is all rather a 'Public' rehoming it may be a chance for us to acknowledge that Jill has no funding for her Rescue other than that she raises herself via various Fundraising events. So if anyone has a few spare pennies then I am certain a bag of food, some hay, forages etc would be much appreciated by The Honeybunnies & Honeypigs. Or maybe a 'one off' donation to cover the cost of a Vaccination

NB-I have 'Reported' myself to the Mods as I am not sure if this post is allowed ....................:oops:

He seemed to cope ok in the end thank you, despite the fireworks!

Of course it’s allowed Jane.

Jill does fantastic work!

I've just spotted that you're a moderator - is it ok to ask you to please edit my name out of the couple of posts where it's mentioned? I'd prefer to be a bit more anonymous if possible. Thank you!

I've just spotted that you're a moderator - is it ok to ask you to please edit my name out of the couple of posts where it's mentioned? I'd prefer to be a bit more anonymous if possible. Thank you!

I've reported your post so it gets seen by admin sooner rather than later & they can do as you asked

Glad bunny & you are coping ok & you'll be able to show us photos one day soon

I’ve gone through and edited any posts with your name in it that I could see, as Amy might not see this until later :thumb:

I'm pleased that your bunny was OK last night :)

Me too, I forgot to say that!

Hmm, I tried to multi quote but I'm not sure it worked. Anyway, thank you for those who reported and edited my posts, and thank you for all the good wishes!

Today's mistake was trying to do a clean out too late in the afternoon, meaning that I'm struggling to get everything to dry so that I can replace the bedding etc. Poor Benji looked very put out until I realised that I could put loads of hay in a box for him in the meantime. He brightened straight up then! In the future though, is there anything I can do to speed up cleaning/drying time, or is it just a question of picking a dry day and getting it done earlier in the day? Also, my garden now looks like an explosion in a hay factory! Is that inevitable or am I particularly messy?

Cleaning out definitely becomes easier once they have been neutered, if you use litter trays with something like either newspaper, or I use wood pellet cat litter in mine, then put hay on top of that, then bunny can eat, poop and wee in that same spot. If you keep the floor of the playhouse clear of litter and hay, and use something like non slip vinyl flooring or rubber stable matting on that, it’s easy just to sweep up any stray poops. Then you can tip out litter trays into a bin bag, and brush it clean. I don’t actually wash any of my bunnies stuff down each time, although they are indoor and litter trained. I find keeping the litter trays clean but still smelling of them helps them to keep up with litter habits. You might need more than one litter tray if he uses a few places as a toilet.

Back