• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cone:ing It

How is sludge treated?

If there is a large accumulation then a bladder flush out done under GA is needed. Then dietary modification, optimal fluid intake (SQ fluids may be necessary initially, if Bunny hardly drinks any water). Making sure Bunny has lots of exercise is necessary too. Obese/Sedentary/disabled Rabbits are more prone to developing sludge. If actual stones are detected on Xray then a Cystotomy would be required, a surgical procedure to remove the stone(s)

There is some more detailed information here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/urolithiasis/

https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/hypercalciuria_in_rabbits.pdf

If there is a large accumulation then a bladder flush out done under GA is needed. Then dietary modification, optimal fluid intake (SQ fluids may be necessary initially, if Bunny hardly drinks any water). Making sure Bunny has lots of exercise is necessary too. Obese/Sedentary/disabled Rabbits are more prone to developing sludge. If actual stones are detected on Xray then a Cystotomy would be required, a surgical procedure to remove the stone(s)

There is some more detailed information here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/further-reading/urolithiasis/

https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/hypercalciuria_in_rabbits.pdf

Thank you x

Thankfully she’s a lively one, and not obese. I’m monitoring what she’s eating.

What baffles me is that antibiotics work every time - she’s been on Baytril for two days and no leakage today. Whatever it is, antibiotics help.

Thank you x

Thankfully she’s a lively one, and not obese. I’m monitoring what she’s eating.

What baffles me is that antibiotics work every time - she’s been on Baytril for two days and no leakage today. Whatever it is, antibiotics help.

When she has had abx before how long was the course ? If there is infection deep within the bladder wall then a 7 day course wont be enough, at least 14 days are needed xx

When she has had abx before how long was the course ? If there is infection deep within the bladder wall then a 7 day course wont be enough, at least 14 days are needed xx

This course is only 7 days, but the longest I think was around 19 days. It helps straight away and then she’s fine for around 6-8 weeks, and then it starts again x

That can be the pattern seen in some cases of bladder sludge x

Ah...

She is feeling herself today; she spent a fair amount of time grooming my hand in bed (she likes to wake me up), couldn’t wait to get into a fresh tray, came running for a treat and as soon as my hand was on the door to the yard, she was there, ready to come with me to see what’s going on xx

Ah...

She is feeling herself today; she spent a fair amount of time grooming my hand in bed (she likes to wake me up), couldn’t wait to get into a fresh tray, came running for a treat and as soon as my hand was on the door to the yard, she was there, ready to come with me to see what’s going on xx

It sounds as though she is feeling a lot more comfortable now. I hope the upward trend continues x :)

My late Amigo got an infection because a bladder stone irritated his bladder wall. So as Jane said your bunny may have sludge or a stone.
as the primary issue.
Sending positive vibes for continued improvement.

Back