• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diarrhea/unformed poop

dear battlekat,-metacam is a nsaid,-tramadol is a synthetic opiod..-I am praying that your dvm explained this.-true they are both pain meds,[concerned about dosae]-but different/reprocussions for misuse-or diagnosis,--I realize a good exotic dvm are few and far between..--here is a link that I know will back up my concern http://www.medirabbit.com dr.esther van pragg [scientist]-and has spent her life with rabbits.-please review lots of valuable info---sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my point about the pain relief.
Lola has potential kidney problems which is why we've now fully switched to the tramadol from metacam but I'm confident the tramadol was more effective for her based on how much her appetite and general demeanour picked up when we put her on it.

She's at a fairly low dose for her size according to medirabbit. :)

Beth, I should have said that the tramadol may not be necessary if the metacam does the job. How is Wilbur today?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my point about the pain relief.
Lola has potential kidney problems which is why we've now fully switched to the tramadol from metacam but I'm confident the tramadol was more effective for her based on how much her appetite and general demeanour picked up when we put her on it.

She's at a fairly low dose for her size according to medirabbit. :)

Beth, I should have said that the tramadol may not be necessary if the metacam does the job. How is Wilbur today?
dear battlekat,-thank you for your response-excellent[tramadol]--metacam/meloxicam-do affect kidney,[renal]-and with a kidney probem,certinally must find an alternative[tramadol.?]--oddly enough I take both tramadol/meloxicam.-dr.esther van pragg is worth twice her weight in gold.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Hi again!

So Wilbur was on metacam for about 5 days and he pretty much went back to his old self - eating lots of hay, gained lots of weight which is brilliant, but as he hasn't been on the metacam for a couple of days the soft cecotropes have returned and not eating as much hay again 😣. The vet has had a good look at his teeth a couple of times and is pretty sure it's nothing dental, his tongue wasn't sore and he got a really good look at his back teeth and they looked fined. If anything he thinks it might be possibly be just gas or something going on in his tummy.

It's just really odd because he's off his hay again but will eat absolutely anything in sight other than that, I've even been giving him fresh grass which he gobbles up really quickly, so I think the only option is to keep giving him fresh grass? I'm really not sure what to do next. For now I've put him back on his metacam so he can start eating his hay again and gain some more weight and then see what happens after that!

Thank you. I'll steer clear of cabbage then! He's had metacam and returned to normal but has since come off and is now not eating enough hay again, but will eat fresh grass no problem? Not sure where to go from here!

Hi again!

So Wilbur was on metacam for about 5 days and he pretty much went back to his old self - eating lots of hay, gained lots of weight which is brilliant, but as he hasn't been on the metacam for a couple of days the soft cecotropes have returned and not eating as much hay again ��. The vet has had a good look at his teeth a couple of times and is pretty sure it's nothing dental, his tongue wasn't sore and he got a really good look at his back teeth and they looked fined. If anything he thinks it might be possibly be just gas or something going on in his tummy.

It's just really odd because he's off his hay again but will eat absolutely anything in sight other than that, I've even been giving him fresh grass which he gobbles up really quickly, so I think the only option is to keep giving him fresh grass? I'm really not sure what to do next. For now I've put him back on his metacam so he can start eating his hay again and gain some more weight and then see what happens after that!

Sounds like a dental issue to me tbh. The trouble is that even the most rabbit savvy vet can’t see all the teeth properly when they are conscious. My bunny Frosty needed a dental last year, the vet saw small spurs when he was concious but when he was under anaesthetic it became obvious that he had large ulcers both sides of his tongue that weren’t visible at all when he was conscious

Sounds Metacam had got him eating hay again but once it wears off the pain/inflammation returns.

Sending lots of vibes to your bunny.

Back