• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC vs Toxoplasmosis

TD86

Alpha Buck
Could one blood test check for both results? I'm starting the treatment for EC for Mr Diggle but would be good to know what to ask the vet as they're not very savvy.

Thanks in advance

Could one blood test check for both results? I'm starting the treatment for EC for Mr Diggle but would be good to know what to ask the vet as they're not very savvy.

Thanks in advance
dearTD86,--a blood test [metabolic panel]-will give an insight to the bunz health,-your discussion with the dvm should rule out ec,etc.--the lab generally gives all details that were requested,--good-exotic dvm,s are hard to find,but worth their weight in gold..--sincerely james waller-from the other kent-usa

I believe, in the UK at least, EC is not covered by standard blood tests. I found this online which summarises my understanding & explains better than I would

How is E. Cuniculi diagnosed?
If the rabbit is showing clinical signs that may be indicative of an E. Cuniculi infection, your vet will probably recommend a blood test. Nowadays, the test most commonly used is the ELISA test that measures serum antibody levels. This detects whether the rabbit has been exposed to the parasite.

A blood sample will be taken from your rabbit and sent away to a laboratory. A negative result is generally conclusive and can rule out E. Cuniculi as the problem, unless the sample is taken very early on in infection or the immune system is so weak that the rabbit doesn't produce antibodies. A positive result isn't always that straightforward. A high antibody titre, together with clinical signs, is usually enough for most vets to commence the rabbit on treatment for E. Cuniculi, but a moderate or low antibody titre may not be enough for the vet to be sure that E. Cuniculi is the problem, since so many rabbits carry the parasite without symptoms (asymptomatically).

In these cases, diagnosis is usually made by taking a further blood sample a few weeks later and if the titre is higher than the first (a rising titre) this would indicate an active infection and would usually lead to a diagnosis of E. Cuniculi as the problem.

Another available test is the PCR test, which detects the parasite itself, usually in a urine sample. A positive result means that the rabbit is shedding the parasite and is thus infected, but a negative may mean either that the rabbit is not infected, or that it is infected but just not shedding spores at that time.

Of course if Mr Diggle is having bloods taken your vet could take extra at the same time for an EC test. Lots of vibes.

Let us know if we can support you to access a more savvy vet

Thanks in advance

Tests for both conditions would need to be specifically requested by the Vet on the forms sent to the Vet Lab with the blood sample.

Laboratory diagnosis of EC : http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

Toxoplasmosis http://www.scanelis.com/Toxoplasmosis

Sending vibes for Mr Dingle xx

Back