• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too late to move outside?

LarryMolly

Warren Scout
We're in a bit of a predicament. We're having to downsize our property. We currently have 4 house rabbits in 2 separate pairs, 1 pair upstairs free ranging and 1 pair downstairs in our converted garage as one of the buns is incontinent. In our new house we only have room for 2 rabbits inside (the incontinent pair), we have no choice but to move the other pair outside. Unfortunately this is all happening now when the weather is turning and they've been house rabbits for a good few years so not used to outside at all. Is it too late to move them outside? Is there anything I can do in terms of their outside accommodation? What would you do? Basically any advice really appreciated as we're not sure how to approach this at all. Many thanks.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I would've thought they'd be ok, night time temperatures round here aren't dropping that low mostly and if they are healthy/not too old bunnies. They have each other for warmth and you could use snugglesafe heat pads and stuff their sleeping area with plenty of hay. Duvets/tarpaulin can be used to cover the hutch at night or a hutch cover. If they'll be in a shed you could add a small hutch (kept open all the time) or various hideaways that are stuffed with hay/covered in a blanket if the buns aren't chewers. If you have time I would perhaps but a thermometer out by their accommodation before they move in just to check the max/min temps. :)

Would they be in a hutch or shed? The ones in the garage will be more acclimatised to the cold I would have thought, if in a shed they would probably be ok but it is supposed to be going colder tomorrow. It isn't normally too cold this side of Christmas, but who knows.

Thanks for your replies both. I think we're going to get a Manor pet housing shed that were going to insulate, plus some sort of avairy. So we can make the shed as insulated as possible, I just worry they won't acclimatise and get sick. I wouldn't move the garage buns outside because one of them is old and incontinent, I don't think she's would cope, plus the garage is heated.

So if I do all I can to make the shed warm and get them outside ASAP are they likely to grow their winter coats? Not ideal at all but we don't want to rehome them because of this.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I think, if you can get them outside ASAP they will start to grow a thicker coat. Don't they ever go outside now? Also, if they are fairly young and healthy then they will adapt quicker than if they are older.

Although I would never recommend moving a rabbit outside, especially not one who has been inside all of their life, if this is your only option then I have a few tips. Apart from stating the obvious of giving them lots of blankets/fleeces and hay for bedding and insulation, as well as sufficient shelter (large playhouse over a hutch hopefully). You can also get heat pads which are microwaveable from Pets at Home to provide warmth in the winter months. They should also get heat from one another if they are a bonded pair who cuddle. Also make sure they have lots to do (toys, tunnels, and other boredom breakers) as well as checking on them often due to how quickly rabbits deteriorate (such as during GI stasis). I hope the move goes well for you!

Back