Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is all hay made equal?

Warren Veteran

I feel a really bad bunny Mummy as my buns only ever get baled hay. It's in their litter trays and bed. They are really good hay eaters but they only get a few Science Selective pellets and fresh veg or herbs (whatever is on offer in whatever supermarket I go to) so hay is the largest part of their diet. Their weight is OK - Zippy is marginally overweight but the vet said just to keep an eye on it -no need for a diet yet.

I'm worried that if I buy another hay for them to eat as a treat, they will then stop eating the baled hay. With five buns and three piggies, I get through a lot of hay and couldn't afford to just buy the 'nicer' hays.

Mine get whatever the equestrian supplies store has in bales! The last few times it's been the stalky stuff they love, once it was some soft stuff they sort of went off after half a bale but mine will, honestly, eat anything! Their emergency hay is P@H large bags and it's usually pretty soft and they're really not keen after the first time They were also all for the prize hay I got from RAW for about a week and then that was 'too soft' until I gave them the loose ends this week in their litter tray and they totally went for it.

I tend to not see many differences as I'm only buying hay every 8m or so! XD
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Mine get whatever the equestrian supplies store has in bales! The last few times it's been the stalky stuff they love, once it was some soft stuff they sort of went off after half a bale but mine will, honestly, eat anything! Their emergency hay is P@H large bags and it's usually pretty soft and they're really not keen after the first time They were also all for the prize hay I got from RAW for about a week and then that was 'too soft' until I gave them the loose ends this week in their litter tray and they totally went for it.

I tend to not see many differences as I'm only buying hay every 8m or so! XD
    Some of the suppliers in my area I wouldn't want to get bunny hay from. With my horses I had anything from boots, litter to a mouse in several pieces in my bale. Then again I will only have three small/ medium mouths to feed and no other animals to keep healthy and happy. It's a lottery with the hay near me

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    I feel a really bad bunny Mummy as my buns only ever get baled hay. It's in their litter trays and bed. They are really good hay eaters but they only get a few Science Selective pellets and fresh veg or herbs (whatever is on offer in whatever supermarket I go to) so hay is the largest part of their diet. Their weight is OK - Zippy is marginally overweight but the vet said just to keep an eye on it -no need for a diet yet.

I'm worried that if I buy another hay for them to eat as a treat, they will then stop eating the baled hay. With five buns and three piggies, I get through a lot of hay and couldn't afford to just buy the 'nicer' hays.
    I can see how that would get pricey with 7 munching machines to go at it I think with three I'll see how my pocket looks on packaged stuff for a while before chancing it on my local hay suppliers

I used to have 3 bunnies who happily munched farm hay at 4.25 a bale. Then I found timothy hay.co.uk & turned them in to right hay snobs. Its a real risk. If you ever get some maybe just mix a treat handful in with their regular hay

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Another fan of timothyhay.co.uk here. My rabbits prefer the stalky timothy.

It is really difficult to find out accurate information about hay types. The information sometimes given on bags/websites in respect of qualities/nutritional information for the different types in my view has to be looked at sceptically. Most of the descriptions are quite general and sometimes you can't read too much into them e.g. 'contains lots of protein' - compared to what? The same type of hay will certainly vary in it's nutrional qualities depending on time of year it is cut compared to the amount of ripeness in the hay.

In my view it's best to go by what your rabbits prefer, your assessment of the quality of the hay and availability.

Definitely feeling like Timothy hay is the way to go in terms of suppliers. I didnt have to worry so much about the types of hay as my horse would eat ANYTHING. This included a pair of earphones.

Would I be right in thinking a good quality pellet would make up for any nutritional shortfall?

Hey, if they're happy and healthy and eating well I wouldn't worry at all. I can see no point in changing what you're doing now if it suits both you and your bunnies well. Especially if you're risking changing what is working. You're not a bad bunny mummy by anyones measure, I'm sure you're guys couldn't be with anyone better. Im starting to think anyone who thinks they're a bad bunny parent is always the exact opposite tbh

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Mella View Post
    Definitely feeling like Timothy hay is the way to go in terms of suppliers. I didnt have to worry so much about the types of hay as my horse would eat ANYTHING. This included a pair of earphones.

Would I be right in thinking a good quality pellet would make up for any nutritional shortfall?

In my view the main reasons why it's recommended that hay forms the majority of a rabbit's diet are not for its high value nutritional qualities, but the fact that eating hay wears down the teeth, keeps a rabbit's digestive system in good working order and alleviates boredom. The diet should be supplemented with a variety of vegetables/herbs/forage/tree leaves, plus sticks for stripping bark. Yes, it's best to get a good quality pellet containing a lot of fibre, but pellets should comprise a very small part of the diet. Some rabbits, and of course all wildies, are perfectly healthy without any pellets.

In my view the main reasons why it's recommended that hay forms the majority of a rabbit's diet are not for its high value nutritional qualities, but the fact that eating hay wears down the teeth, keeps a rabbit's digestive system in good working order and alleviates boredom. The diet should be supplemented with a variety of vegetables/herbs/forage/tree leaves, plus sticks for stripping bark. Yes, it's best to get a good quality pellet containing a lot of fibre, but pellets should comprise a very small part of the diet. Some rabbits, and of course all wildies, are perfectly healthy without any pellets.
    I agree. Hay for digestive health & tushy peg wear, forage, herbs & veggies for fun & nutrition. I feed teeny weeny bits of fruit too, not daily

That all makes perfect sense, thank you. I've had a lot of different animals in the last but I am completely new to rabbits! I honestly might not have even considered one had my mum not suggested it