• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is all hay made equal?

Mella

Young Bun
Now I know theres a difference between types of hay- legume, grass and cereal- but was more curious if there are any brands that in particular stand out in terms of quality, composition and general yumminess? Also is there a great deal of difference in hay that has been cut last year and being sold still and hay that has been cut this year and how much difference would that make for a rabbit?

I know from my equestrian background that it can vary somewhat wildly between supplier and was wondering how different it is in the rabbit world and how much that difference might make to the rabbit itself?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Now I know theres a difference between types of hay- legume, grass and cereal- but was more curious if there are any brands that in particular stand out in terms of quality, composition and general yumminess? Also is there a great deal of difference in hay that has been cut last year and being sold still and hay that has been cut this year and how much difference would that make for a rabbit?

I know from my equestrian background that it can vary somewhat wildly between supplier and was wondering how different it is in the rabbit world and how much that difference might make to the rabbit itself?

dear mella,-quick answer is[no]-rabbits are strictly herbivores,[grass eaters]-and the reason timothy grass is predominant is because of its highest in non digestible fiber,--different grasses have different levels of non-digestible fiber,and in times of need it is all we can get..-as an equestrian you already know a horses [needs]-gi tract is most similar to the rabbit.-and dietary needs [rabbit],-70% grasses,-nondigestible fiber,-quality pellets,some safe treats,chewing woods,-and lots oof water to wash it all down=a happy bun-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

There's some members on here that'll hopefully be able to answer your questions properly.. I've no idea tbh.. It's all just what I've observed with mine.

My 4 are great hay eaters, never had any issues really, however since only buying from timothyhay.co.uk they've eaten even more and their output is basically always golden.. They seem to really enjoy the hay from there the most, it's now all we buy. If we run out we buy alfalfa king from pets at home (it's timothy hay) and the excel long stem stuff in the resealable baggie.. They like that too, but it costs so much to give them the same amount as usual.

I don't think there's much nutritional value to hay? Other than the fibre content? So I assume as long as they eat enough, any is fine? We buy the timothyhay.co.uk hay because price, we think it's great quality, it's not dusty, and they shovel it in [emoji38]

I've read that Timothy hay is the best for main diet, we fed oat and orchard hays too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
dear mella,-quick answer is[no]-rabbits are strictly herbivores,[grass eaters]-and the reason timothy grass is predominant is because of its highest in non digestible fiber,--different grasses have different levels of non-digestible fiber,and in times of need it is all we can get..-as an equestrian you already know a horses [needs]-gi tract is most similar to the rabbit.-and dietary needs [rabbit],-70% grasses,-nondigestible fiber,-quality pellets,some safe treats,chewing woods,-and lots oof water to wash it all down=a happy bun-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa
That's similar to what I thought, while I was reading up on rabbits it did occur to me that they followed a similar principle principle to horses but with more greens. Though I did read somewhere on a different forum about rabbits not actually needing greens/ veg. Not that mine are ready for greens yet. Seemed like an interesting cconcept but not one I've seen supported by any sources?

There's some members on here that'll hopefully be able to answer your questions properly.. I've no idea tbh.. It's all just what I've observed with mine.

My 4 are great hay eaters, never had any issues really, however since only buying from timothyhay.co.uk they've eaten even more and their output is basically always golden.. They seem to really enjoy the hay from there the most, it's now all we buy. If we run out we buy alfalfa king from pets at home (it's timothy hay) and the excel long stem stuff in the resealable baggie.. They like that too, but it costs so much to give them the same amount as usual.

I don't think there's much nutritional value to hay? Other than the fibre content? So I assume as long as they eat enough, any is fine? We buy the timothyhay.co.uk hay because price, we think it's great quality, it's not dusty, and they shovel it in [emoji38]

I've read that Timothy hay is the best for main diet, we fed oat and orchard hays too.

I saw the Timothy co thread which is what got me thinking! I think they've got my custom from now on anyway. Surely the alfalfa king is mislabled? That seems like an odd choice of name for a product especially given the difference between alfalfa and Timothy hay?

I saw the Timothy co thread which is what got me thinking! I think they've got my custom from now on anyway. Surely the alfalfa king is mislabled? That seems like an odd choice of name for a product especially given the difference between alfalfa and Timothy hay?

Yea I've tried the dust free hay too and the ings from hay and straw, and the boxed hay but the timothyhay.co.uk stuff is the best imo.

It's the brand name - Alfalfa King I think, they sell different types of hay :)

If you have been on the timothy hay thread you will have seen Joey & bo's poo - that is enough testament to how good it is:lol: Mine prefer the main cut rather than oaty, first crop & orchard from there. Their poo is only massive & golden on the main cut but the others are enjoyed too

Yea I've tried the dust free hay too and the ings from hay and straw, and the boxed hay but the timothyhay.co.uk stuff is the best imo.

It's the brand name - Alfalfa King I think, they sell different types of hay :)

Percy seems to be a gannet so I think he would eat what's put in front of him. It does seems very well priced for what it is from Timothy hay, with a good rep and a proper UK supplier too

If you have been on the timothy hay thread you will have seen Joey & bo's poo - that is enough testament to how good it is[emoji38] Mine prefer the main cut rather than oaty, first crop & orchard from there. Their poo is only massive & golden on the main cut but the others are enjoyed too
Ah yes the poo heart! I'll get it ordered then [emoji23]

Another fan of timothyhay.co.uk here. My rabbits prefer the stalky timothy.

It is really difficult to find out accurate information about hay types. The information sometimes given on bags/websites in respect of qualities/nutritional information for the different types in my view has to be looked at sceptically. Most of the descriptions are quite general and sometimes you can't read too much into them e.g. 'contains lots of protein' - compared to what? The same type of hay will certainly vary in it's nutrional qualities depending on time of year it is cut compared to the amount of ripeness in the hay.

In my view it's best to go by what your rabbits prefer, your assessment of the quality of the hay and availability.

I feel a really bad bunny Mummy as my buns only ever get baled hay. It's in their litter trays and bed. They are really good hay eaters but they only get a few Science Selective pellets and fresh veg or herbs (whatever is on offer in whatever supermarket I go to) so hay is the largest part of their diet. Their weight is OK - Zippy is marginally overweight but the vet said just to keep an eye on it -no need for a diet yet.

I'm worried that if I buy another hay for them to eat as a treat, they will then stop eating the baled hay. With five buns and three piggies, I get through a lot of hay and couldn't afford to just buy the 'nicer' hays.

Mine get whatever the equestrian supplies store has in bales! The last few times it's been the stalky stuff they love, once it was some soft stuff they sort of went off after half a bale but mine will, honestly, eat anything! Their emergency hay is P@H large bags and it's usually pretty soft and they're really not keen after the first time :lol: They were also all for the prize hay I got from RAW for about a week and then that was 'too soft' until I gave them the loose ends this week in their litter tray and they totally went for it.

I tend to not see many differences as I'm only buying hay every 8m or so! XD

Mine get whatever the equestrian supplies store has in bales! The last few times it's been the stalky stuff they love, once it was some soft stuff they sort of went off after half a bale but mine will, honestly, eat anything! Their emergency hay is P@H large bags and it's usually pretty soft and they're really not keen after the first time [emoji38] They were also all for the prize hay I got from RAW for about a week and then that was 'too soft' until I gave them the loose ends this week in their litter tray and they totally went for it.

I tend to not see many differences as I'm only buying hay every 8m or so! XD
Some of the suppliers in my area I wouldn't want to get bunny hay from. With my horses I had anything from boots, litter to a mouse in several pieces in my bale. Then again I will only have three small/ medium mouths to feed and no other animals to keep healthy and happy. It's a lottery with the hay near me [emoji51]

I feel a really bad bunny Mummy as my buns only ever get baled hay. It's in their litter trays and bed. They are really good hay eaters but they only get a few Science Selective pellets and fresh veg or herbs (whatever is on offer in whatever supermarket I go to) so hay is the largest part of their diet. Their weight is OK - Zippy is marginally overweight but the vet said just to keep an eye on it -no need for a diet yet.

I'm worried that if I buy another hay for them to eat as a treat, they will then stop eating the baled hay. With five buns and three piggies, I get through a lot of hay and couldn't afford to just buy the 'nicer' hays.
I can see how that would get pricey with 7 munching machines to go at it I think with three I'll see how my pocket looks on packaged stuff for a while before chancing it on my local hay suppliers

I used to have 3 bunnies who happily munched farm hay at £4.25 a bale. Then I found timothy hay.co.uk & turned them in to right hay snobs. Its a real risk. If you ever get some maybe just mix a treat handful in with their regular hay

Another fan of timothyhay.co.uk here. My rabbits prefer the stalky timothy.

It is really difficult to find out accurate information about hay types. The information sometimes given on bags/websites in respect of qualities/nutritional information for the different types in my view has to be looked at sceptically. Most of the descriptions are quite general and sometimes you can't read too much into them e.g. 'contains lots of protein' - compared to what? The same type of hay will certainly vary in it's nutrional qualities depending on time of year it is cut compared to the amount of ripeness in the hay.

In my view it's best to go by what your rabbits prefer, your assessment of the quality of the hay and availability.

Definitely feeling like Timothy hay is the way to go in terms of suppliers. I didnt have to worry so much about the types of hay as my horse would eat ANYTHING. This included a pair of earphones.

Would I be right in thinking a good quality pellet would make up for any nutritional shortfall?

Hey, if they're happy and healthy and eating well I wouldn't worry at all. I can see no point in changing what you're doing now if it suits both you and your bunnies well. Especially if you're risking changing what is working. You're not a bad bunny mummy by anyones measure, I'm sure you're guys couldn't be with anyone better. Im starting to think anyone who thinks they're a bad bunny parent is always the exact opposite tbh

Definitely feeling like Timothy hay is the way to go in terms of suppliers. I didnt have to worry so much about the types of hay as my horse would eat ANYTHING. This included a pair of earphones.

Would I be right in thinking a good quality pellet would make up for any nutritional shortfall?

In my view the main reasons why it's recommended that hay forms the majority of a rabbit's diet are not for its high value nutritional qualities, but the fact that eating hay wears down the teeth, keeps a rabbit's digestive system in good working order and alleviates boredom. The diet should be supplemented with a variety of vegetables/herbs/forage/tree leaves, plus sticks for stripping bark. Yes, it's best to get a good quality pellet containing a lot of fibre, but pellets should comprise a very small part of the diet. Some rabbits, and of course all wildies, are perfectly healthy without any pellets.

In my view the main reasons why it's recommended that hay forms the majority of a rabbit's diet are not for its high value nutritional qualities, but the fact that eating hay wears down the teeth, keeps a rabbit's digestive system in good working order and alleviates boredom. The diet should be supplemented with a variety of vegetables/herbs/forage/tree leaves, plus sticks for stripping bark. Yes, it's best to get a good quality pellet containing a lot of fibre, but pellets should comprise a very small part of the diet. Some rabbits, and of course all wildies, are perfectly healthy without any pellets.

I agree. Hay for digestive health & tushy peg wear, forage, herbs & veggies for fun & nutrition. I feed teeny weeny bits of fruit too, not daily

That all makes perfect sense, thank you. I've had a lot of different animals in the last but I am completely new to rabbits! I honestly might not have even considered one had my mum not suggested it

Back