• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stuff/cuts in ears :(

Graciee

Staff member
So I have appointment for tomorrow with my vet, was quickest they could do.

It's Penelope, she's fine in herself, but does anyone know what this could be?

A couple of days ago she had one tiny red cut in on ear, almost like a dot, other was clear, I thought she might have caught it with a nail when she was grooming.. But it's both ears now and looks a lot worse :'( I know nothing about ear issues, and I feel terrible, I didn't check them yesterday at all :(

Also the bottom image is Apricot, is that something starting?

They are both going to the vet, so I'll get them both looked at but obviously Penelope doesn't look great. Feel like I've really let her down because I've been so distracted with my own stuff and I've left the animals completely to my boyfriend which isn't fair :(
c939e968b45c90191689863a4143a9f8.jpg
42a37a22ba5015c5d704c4e3e552f07e.jpg
3cf9e51e39525027fb0f8b0dac2c4675.jpg
185831af8ad2d9e4afa9004364658c12.jpg
a4c90075f62cda0b4dc5d79fd0643e8a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Could it be ear mites possibly? My first rabbit Beano had them although it was more brown flakes/scabs deep down in her ear that I could see and she was scratching/shaking her head like mad. Is she bothered by her ears at all?

Could it be ear mites possibly? My first rabbit Beano had them although it was more brown flakes/scabs deep down in her ear that I could see and she was scratching/shaking her head like mad. Is she bothered by her ears at all?
Maybe I've never seen ear mites before tbh!

Nope doesn't seem bothered by her ears at all, no head shaking that I've seen either :S

It definitely looks like something, rather than just overscratching. I see why you'd think she'd just caught it a bit in the first instance as well. Good luck at the vets xx

It definitely looks like something, rather than just overscratching. I see why you'd think she'd just caught it a bit in the first instance as well. Good luck at the vets xx
Yea it looked so innocent at first :( thanks xx

Ear mites are easily treated :) definitely do Apricot too. The only tricky thing is they may be in the environment/hay, I was recommended to throw out all hay/bedding and do a deep clean as Beano kept getting re-infected. I think she had a few injections as treatment

Ear mites are easily treated :) definitely do Apricot too. The only tricky thing is they may be in the environment/hay, I was recommended to throw out all hay/bedding and do a deep clean as Beano kept getting re-infected. I think she had a few injections as treatment
Ah okay! My hamster had 4 mite injections, so maybe it's a similar treatment?

How do buns get ear mites?

Sometimes from hay, sometimes idiopathic. If a Bun naturally produces an excessive amount of ear wax this can predispose them to ear mites and ear infections. It's best not to try to remove the scabs as that can cause a lot of pain. Canaural Ear drops and Xeno Spot on treatment usually does the trick .

Any suggestions on how to clean a wooden hutch if it turns out to be mites?

What about the run around tube and run? [emoji51]

Sorry - a bit late to this one. Yes, I'm in the ear mite camp also. And yes, my two have had them so I know how you feel.
The treatment is some simple ear drops that you drop in, and then sort of squidge the ear until you feel and hear it sort of ...well, squidge. The buns then do a sort of head shake cause it probably feels weird but after a few days, things should settle down. Might also need to get some spot on treatment.
They tend to come from hay - or at least that was the likely culprit for me. I don't know how to really 100% avoid them cause they are small and hide in hay.
How to clean the hutch? I'd just clean out what you can and put in fresh but accept that you'll probably get them every now and then.
And no, you're NOT a bad bunny mamma.
Maybe we should start a guilty donation thread - you know, like a swear jar. Every time one of us thinks or feels that we've let our bunnies down, we donate a fiver to the fund.

Sorry - a bit late to this one. Yes, I'm in the ear mite camp also. And yes, my two have had them so I know how you feel.
The treatment is some simple ear drops that you drop in, and then sort of squidge the ear until you feel and hear it sort of ...well, squidge. The buns then do a sort of head shake cause it probably feels weird but after a few days, things should settle down. Might also need to get some spot on treatment.
They tend to come from hay - or at least that was the likely culprit for me. I don't know how to really 100% avoid them cause they are small and hide in hay.
How to clean the hutch? I'd just clean out what you can and put in fresh but accept that you'll probably get them every now and then.
Maybe we should start a guilty donation thread - you know, like a swear jar. Every time one of us thinks or feels that we've let our bunnies down, we donate a fiver to the fund.

I'm skint enough as it is, under that system I'd be remortgaging within the month

Loads of vibes for your lovely white buns. You're not having a great run of bunny luck at the mo are you :( xx

Thanks Craig, yea we can give it a good clean I just didn't know if there was anything that kills the mites etc. Did it clear up quickly with your two?

Hah yea we'd all end up in a right state, and the guilty jar would have millions in it [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

[/B]

I'm skint enough as it is, under that system I'd be remortgaging within the month

Loads of vibes for your lovely white buns. You're not having a great run of bunny luck at the mo are you :( xx

Yea same [emoji51]

Not really :( Clementines necks finally grown back, and she's off the meds and back to normal.. So that's positive. But Atticus is stinking the place out [emoji21] now the white buns have mites :( and the tiny hamsters definitely dying.. Just have to wait and see what Gus does I guess... [emoji38]

Thanks for the vibes for them xx

Any suggestions on how to clean a wooden hutch if it turns out to be mites?

What about the run around tube and run? [emoji51]

Steam cleaner , but dont order it from those catalogues that come in some TV Listing Magazines. I did and they sent me a Penis Pump in error............... :shock: :lol:

Steam cleaner , but dont order it from those catalogues that come in some TV Listing Magazines. I did and they sent me a Penis Pump in error............... :shock: [emoji38]
Omg [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

We have a vax hand held steam cleaner so that will probably work [emoji38] when would you clean? Like today on first day of treatment (assuming it is mites, pretty sure you're all right though and it is [emoji38]) or would this weekend be okay? Idk how crucial it is

Omg [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

We have a vax hand held steam cleaner so that will probably work [emoji38] when would you clean? Like today on first day of treatment (assuming it is mites, pretty sure you're all right though and it is [emoji38]) or would this weekend be okay? Idk how crucial it is

I'd do it on the first and last day of treatment xx

Back