• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

Hope Raven continues to improve and eat for himself. You are doing a great job with him, hope you have a happy Christmas xxx

Hope Raven continues to improve and eat for himself. You are doing a great job with him, hope you have a happy Christmas xxx

I woke up Christmas morning and Raven ate all of his greens and a little of his hay. He got a few more greens which he ate this morning.
Raven is still not his normal self, so I will be continuing the protocol that seems to be helping him improve in hopes that he will either get back to normal or at least have him well enough for additional testing.

I woke up Christmas morning and Raven ate all of his greens and a little of his hay. He got a few more greens which he ate this morning.
Raven is still not his normal self, so I will be continuing the protocol that seems to be helping him improve in hopes that he will either get back to normal or at least have him well enough for additional testing.

I really hope his progress will continue. Topping up the vibes for him :love:

Raven is behaving more like himself, guarding his things which includes his litterbox. Yet he is not consistent with his eating, especially hay. Yesterday he left a lot of fresh hay again. He got a small amount after his area was cleaned and he ate it overnight, including heavier strands. It is a mystery because daily I remove uneaten hay and give fresh hay two or three times each day.
He is still on same protocol. However I am giving fewer doses of motility meds and syringe feeding less too.

I hope by now Raven is well enough to have his Dental, if the Vet thinks it is needed. Still sending lots of vibes for him :love:

I hope by now Raven is well enough to have his Dental, if the Vet thinks it is needed. Still sending lots of vibes for him :love:
Thanks Jane. He eats better overnight and in morning than in evening.. I did not syringe feed yesterday and I cut down on motility meds and fluids. He is getting medicam and baytril still.
He is 90% his usual self, and I am worried dental could cause setback. Of course it would also be opportunity for skull x ray and more blood work.

Last edited:
Topping up the vibes for Raven xx

Thank you. I am rubbish trying to decide if he should or should not be sedated for a dental when he has already come so far in the past week. Tomorrow I may call the vet and schedule the dental which likely will not be able to be done for another week anyways.

I am still waiting for my package of Fibafirst sticks to arrive from UK. Yet, a few days ago I received the package of Garden Sticks that were manufactured by the same company in the UK, but shipped from a USA location. At first the bunnies did not seem interested in this new treat. Yesterday I saw that Heidi and Madelyn ate the pieces I broke up and put in their food bowl. Today Heidi was playing tug of war with me trying to get the entire stick (not until I know she can tolerate them well).
Best of all, Raven seems to have eaten the small pieces of Garden Sticks I put in his food bowl. Let's hope Raven finds these Garden Sticks and/or the Fibafirst sticks to his satisfaction.

I usually find that if a Bunny initially turns their nose up at a Fibafirst Stick they will change their minds if offed a broken off piece. I guess it's because breaking the sticks releases more of their smell. I hope Raven will continue to eat his xx

I usually find that if a Bunny initially turns their nose up at a Fibafirst Stick they will change their minds if offed a broken off piece. I guess it's because breaking the sticks releases more of their smell. I hope Raven will continue to eat his xx

I have also found this. Frosty and Fern wouldn’t eat them at first, and then I crushed a couple up into a bowl to see if they would eat it. They loved it and now eat the whole sticks. Fingers crossed for Raven to continue eating xx

I have been crushing the garden sticks based on jj initial suggestion , though they are quite hard.
The sound of a bunny crunching helps me fall asleep.

I have been crushing the garden sticks based on jj initial suggestion , though they are quite hard.
The sound of a bunny crunching helps me fall asleep.

For one minute there are thought you were going to say you crushed the sticks before trying them yourself !! :shock: :lol: I agree, the sound of Bunnies munching is very comforting :love:

For one minute there are thought you were going to say you crushed the sticks before trying them yourself !! :shock: :lol: I agree, the sound of Bunnies munching is very comforting :love:
I could use more fiber in my diet too.:) They may taste better than some of the fiber supplements meant for humans.
Wednesday I noticed Raven drinking a little less each day even though he is off sub q fluids. His poo size is also slightly smaller. He ate greens, half a garden stick ,and some hay. He was still on abx and pain meds. To be proactive I gave sub q fluids and some motility meds.

Jane, Could sub q fluids cause false negative readings for kidney functions on blood tests if he is quickly absorbing and eliminating excess fluids?
?

After getting the sub q fluids and motility meds hours earlier, Raven ate all his greens, a modest amount of hay, and his 1/2 of garden stick with I broke up and put in his bowl. He then used his teeth to pick up his bowl and was banging it on the floor and tossing the pellets in the air. He got more greens, hay, and another 1/2 garden stick in the bowl with more pellets. Again he picked the broken pieces of garden stick out of the bowl and left the pellets. He made me a lot of very nice poos.
He still is not drinking enough IMO, even after he absorbed the fluids I gave him 24 hours before; so I gave him more fluids to keep gut contents hydrated. He also got a dose of motility meds to keep things moving.
He has been getting the same pain meds and abx the past two weeks. Today he got his last abx dose. He started to eat, drink and poo less when I stopped fluids and motility meds for 3 days.
I am glad he improved again, though it is a mystery.

Raven had 3 dental in 2019. He got another dental January 14 2020. He is home and slowly improving. I including more information on Madelyn's thread because she had her first dental on January 14, 2020 and she could use some vibes.

Raven is eating garden sticks and drinking some water on his own. He made lots of fairly nice poos. He will get some meds, fluids, and syringe feed until he eats more hay and pellets.
Madelyn still not eating and only making very tiny poo.See her thread for more details.

Back