• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

Raven gave me the best Christmas present when he began to eat more and more greens, a normal amount of pellets, and even a good amount of hay. He also started to beg for his garden stick treat again (I break it into 4 or 5 pieces and give him one piece at a time). I have removed meds one by one and will be stopping Cisapride today. I have a supply of fluids, critical care, motility meds, and medicam in case he has a relapse, though IMO he improved the most after a couple rounds of Baytril that he ran out of last week. I hope I can get some ABX to have on hand.

We thank you all for your support and hope you can spare some extra vibes that he remains well and does not have another episode of whatever caused him to require so much care for almost two months.

Oh, that's so good to hear! What a wonderful Christmas present. :love: You've cared for him so well all this time, and I'm so glad he's eating so much better now. Lots of vibes for him remaining well like this. :love:

This is brilliant news, well done Raven, and well done you Bunny momma for the excellent nursing xx

So happy Raven is doing so well. Couldn't have done it without your love and nursing though [emoji6]
Hope it all stays good for you xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

This past weekend I noticed Raven is starting to be fussy again with his eating-not coming to me for treats, eating greens, yet fewer pellets and less hay.
I called vets to get him back on Baytril. I have other meds and supplies from last month . He was doing so well for over three weeks with no meds/fluids/syringe feeds.
Please send vibes that he will improve quickly.

This past weekend I noticed Raven is starting to be fussy again with his eating-not coming to me for treats, eating greens, yet fewer pellets and less hay.
I called vets to get him back on Baytril. I have other meds and supplies from last month . He was doing so well for over three weeks with no meds/fluids/syringe feeds.Please send vibes that he will improve quickly.

Oh dear, has the Vet said what the evidence of bacterial infection is ? I am always very reluctant to use antibiotics repeatedly without a definitive diagnosis of active bacterial infection as abx resistance is such a huge problem, especially in a setting with several Rabbits. Could his teeth be bothering him again ?

Sending lots of vibes for him x

I hate to schedule another dental because the last time he had the dental in early November he got worse at first and it took weeks before he started to slowly improve and it was not until Christmas that he began to eat normally.
He started to have more pee on his rear legs/tail again too; so my gut tells me it is kidney issue or UTI. He had his urine checked last year and nothing showed up as unusual; so I may try to collect a sample and drop it to vets next week.
Jane, I too worry about abx resistance. That being said, I am reluctant to have a dental on him before trying abx which seemed to help him during his last bout. I even wonder if he needed a longer course of abx to fully eradicate any remaining infection.

Thank you all for your suggestions/vibes for Raven.

If he is getting urine soiling then bladder sludge could be on the list of possibilities ? Not sure when he had a blood profile run but that may be worth considering given his recurrent episodes of loss of appetite and now some apparent UT symptoms, could be good to check his renal function. Is he maintaining his weight ?

Has EC been ruled out ? This can initially present in far more subtle ways than the very obvious vestibular symptoms

Hope he improves soon.

If he is getting urine soiling then bladder sludge could be on the list of possibilities ? Not sure when he had a blood profile run but that may be worth considering given his recurrent episodes of loss of appetite and now some apparent UT symptoms, could be good to check his renal function. Is he maintaining his weight ?

Has EC been ruled out ? This can initially present in far more subtle ways than the very obvious vestibular symptoms

Hope he improves soon.

When he had this situation a little more than a year ago, vet checked urine and he did not have an issue with crystals (sludge). He does get some calcium build up in his litterbox. When he was at his dental in November, vet could not get a good urine sample during the time Raven was there.
I sometimes wonder if he has a low grade infection in his urinary system or perhaps elsewhere so it does not show up without culturing.
My vet is not quick to prescribe Panacur for EC because he believes it has risks and that most bunnies will already be recovering by the time they are diagnosed.
Blood work will require him to be sedated because Raven has such small veins in his ears/limbs. They can get enough for a glucose test since that only requires a small dot of blood. It may be worth asking again.

I do wonder if he has Renal issues too (kidney infection or disease) and the fluid therapy and supportive care gave his kidney's enough of a rest for them to heal so he could act normally for a month before he began to relapse. He is on ABX now so that would address any infection. I am monitoring his drinking, and he is drinking less, though still not so little I need to give fluids. I also gave him some motility drugs to keep things moving when I saw he was producing fewer poos and some were harder. This slightly sluggish gut could be due to his not eating as much hay.

For now, Raven continues to eat greens, some pellets, and a little hay. While he lost a little weight from early Nov to Christmas, he quickly regained it when he was back to being himself. And that is the biggest mystery. What type of ailment/disease/condition would subside enough for him to return to normal for one month before backsliding. A similar thing happened the prior year, though he remained his normal self much longer.

Thanks again.

Back