• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

I hope you get to see your vet, as always you caught this early. sending lots of vibes xx

Raven has been eating well and then a few days ago I thought he seemed off, eating slower than usual, he would then return to normal and eat his hay, greens and even his pellets. When he is fussy with eating he also starts chewing the newspaper in his litterbox and turning some into confetti. In the early hours of Thursday he was chewing the newspaper a lot (not eating it). I saw he did not eat many of his greens from hours before and he had lots of hay uneaten, plus he did not drink much water. I cleaned his litterbox within 7 hours of the prior cleaning and he was passing some very nice poos and enough normal looking pee. I gave him some medicam and after a few hours he drank a normal amount of water and ate most greens and some hay. He also made more poo and pee. Thinking he was doing better I left him to go to a Y pool to do my exercises and therapy, followed by some errands in that neighborhood before returning home and seeing Raven barely ate or drank. He got fluids and more Medicam and I waited, and while he was still producing poo/pee I could feel his tummy was empty. He has the same symptoms he had in October/November so I decided to follow the same protocol with critical care, abx and motility meds along with pain meds and fluids.
My vet does not work every Friday so now I am worried I may not get an appointment. Where I live there are only a couple vets who see rabbits and they are always in demand. I will not even think of taking a rabbit to the emergency vet after my awful experience in September.
Please send some positive vibes for me and my handsome Raven.

I am sorry to hear that Raven is not doing so well again. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thanks ru friends. Raven ate a few greens and a little hay on his own after getting critical care and motility meds at 3am He is still making poo, though they are less plentiful and smaller than usual--likely from not eating much.
Vet off today though he will be in saturday morning though no appt available. I left message and will check again tomorrow. Until then I will continue supportive care and meds and hope he eats and drinks better on his own.

Last edited:
This afternoon, I called vet to ask them to keep me in mind if they had any cancellation for Saturday morning. They called me shortly before closing to tell me they had a cancellation for early Saturday, so now Raven has an appointment to see our regular vet.
Today I weighed Raven before giving him fluids. He lost a couple ounces since early November, and while some could be fluids or his being empty, I know I have to watch that he does not lose too much before he gets back to eating normally.

I hope that Raven will rally before you get him to the vets. He is so lucky to have such an attentive owner as you :love: I hope the vets appt will go well. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Vet said Raven felt empy with few gut sounds. He is still passing poo,though they are smaller each day, so critical care and small amt greens and few bits of hay are getting through. He is also absorbing all sub q fluids. He was not painful on exam, though he will continue Medicam. His lungs look good, and the white I saw near his one nostril was a bit of fur.:oops:
Raven was bright eyed and vet noticed Raven was grooming his shiny black fur.
Vet could not see his rear teeth well enough to rule out dental, though he just had a dental two months ago.
I was advised to add cisapride to abx, metecloprimide and medicam. Since their gi systems are fiber driven, I have to give more critical care., along with continuing fluids. As soon as I got home, he got lots of care. He also enjoyed pets from my spouse.
We always appreciate the help and support of our ru friends.
Please send more vibes and any suggestions on getting him to eat more fiber.

Topping up the vibes for Raven. Will he eat readigrass/chopped grass? Or fibafirst sticks? I don’t know if they are available in the US.

He passed normal sized poos earlier so no blockage in gi. He ate few greens and nibbled very few strands of hay. He is such a good boy getting care, though syringe feed takes the most time with me providing lots of rubs and kisses as I wait for him to swallow 50 times for 20cc critical care at each session.
My spouse and I love him so much.

I hope that Raven's gut function improves soon. It may be that he cant eat much hay for himself due to his pre-existing dental problems. Unfortunately some Rabbits can need very frequent Dentals if their problems are quite advanced/severe. Is Raven a Nethie ? As you know, this breed is particularly prone to developing Dental problems.

I dont know if you can obtain anything similar to Fibafirst Sticks in the USA

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

These have a good fibre content and some Dental Bunnies manage to eat them. They can be crumbled up and fed that way if necessary.

ETA - just found these, would Raven eat them ?

https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Timothy-Pellets__4473643-comm--spc-4473642.aspx

I’m glad he is such a good patient. I hope he will improve soon. Topping up the vibes xx

Back