• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

Thanks Zoobec, Jane , Omi, Toribun, and all ru friends sending positive vibes.
Raven is stable, yet not himself. On a positive note the store had nice greens today. Raven nibbled carrot top and a small amount of new hay. He needed more Medicam, so I hope he will eat better now. Poo close to normal size , yet not as plentiful.
Waiting for improvement is so stressful.

Thanks Zoobec, Jane , Omi, Toribun, and all ru friends sending positive vibes.
Raven is stable, yet not himself. On a positive note the store had nice greens today. Raven nibbled carrot top and a small amount of new hay. He needed more Medicam, so I hope he will eat better now. Poo close to normal size , yet not as plentiful.
Waiting for improvement is so stressful.

I can empathise with that. Hopefully his output will return to normal over the next 24 hours. Sending more vibes for him xx

By Tuesday morning Raven ate his greens and some hay from night before, plus he made lots of pee and some normal and almost normal poos. After he got meds and sub q fluids I went to a pool for aquafit class and then did more pool exercises. Raven had more .normal poo whenI returned yet he is eating very little. I gave him medicam when I got home at 6pm in case dose from 7:30pm last night wore off.
After over 3 hours Raven is still eating only a small quantity before stopping.
I am trying to decide if I should give critical care.
After losing Gemini 5 weeks ago and losing Dash 6 weeks ago I am second guessing everything about rabbit care.
I am so worried I will make a wrong choice with Raven.

Last edited:
By Tuesday morning Raven ate his greens and some hay from night before, plus he made lots of pee and some normal and almost normal poos. After he got meds and sub q fluids I went to a pool for aquafit class and then did more pool exercises. Raven had more .normal poo whenI returned yet he is eating very little. I gave him medicam when I got home at 6pm in case dose from 7:30pm last night wore off.
After over 3 hours Raven is still eating only a small quantity before stopping.
I am trying to decide if I should give critical care.
After losing Gemini 5 weeks ago and losing Dash 6 weeks ago I am second guessing everything about rabbit care.
I am so worried I will make a wrong choice with Raven.

Is a Rabbit Savvy Vet available for you to take Raven too today (0530hrs Wed 6th Nov in the UK atm) . Perhaps another full examination is needed. How long ago was his last Dental ?. If you feel along his jawline is it at all lumpy ?

Also, feel his ear bases for lumps/signs of sensitivity. Ear pain is now always on my check list as a potential cause of pain in a Rabbit who has a poor appetite. Wish I could do more to help other than just send lots more vibes xx

Sending lots more vibes and hugs. Frosty took 10 days to recover from his last dental because he had ulcers on his tongue, and I can sympathise with how worrying it is:cry:

Is a Rabbit Savvy Vet available for you to take Raven too today (0530hrs Wed 6th Nov in the UK atm) . Perhaps another full examination is needed. How long ago was his last Dental ?. If you feel along his jawline is it at all lumpy ?

Also, feel his ear bases for lumps/signs of sensitivity. Ear pain is now always on my check list as a potential cause of pain in a Rabbit who has a poor appetite. Wish I could do more to help other than just send lots more vibes xx
His dental was 15 days ago. He has no lumps along his jaw that I can feel. Monday he saw regular vet who felt Raven flinch when he was examining him near his kidneys .
I am not sure about ear pain.
When he had dental vet saw Raven had a small ulcer mostly healed under his tongue. The position of the ulcer was not near teeth.
Tomorrow is Raven's 5th birthday.

Sending lots more vibes and hugs. Frosty took 10 days to recover from his last dental because he had ulcers on his tongue, and I can sympathise with how worrying it is:cry:

Raven had small already healing ulcer under his tongue.
Did Frosty need any meds for ulcers?

His dental was 15 days ago. He has no lumps along his jaw that I can feel. Monday he saw regular vet who felt Raven flinch when he was examining him near his kidneys .
I am not sure about ear pain.
When he had dental vet saw Raven had a small ulcer mostly healed under his tongue. The position of the ulcer was not near teeth.
Tomorrow is Raven's 5th birthday.

Has he had a recent full blood profile ? I am wondering about his kidney function. Oral ulceration can be a sign of kidney problems

Raven had small already healing ulcer under his tongue.
Did Frosty need any meds for ulcers?

Hi, his ulcers were either side of his tongue and caused by small spurs. They were only visible under anaesthetic. The vet gave him antibiotics as a precaution if I can recall, and he had twice daily metacam for over 10 days. Also gut meds, this was his mega thread from the time http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?473807-Please-can-Frosty-have-some-vibes-U-d-almost-back-to-normal-)&highlight=Frosty+dental

Has he had a recent full blood profile ? I am wondering about his kidney function. Oral ulceration can be a sign of kidney problems

When he had dental 15 days ago they got enough blood for key tests. His kidney and liver numbers were normal as were all tested items.
He had urine checked monday and it was normal too.
Raven went to vets 5pm wednesday for recheck. As usual Raven starts playing with the towel in his carrier as soon as we got in the exam room. He even chewed two holes in the towel and left me the pieces. He was not that active at home.
Vet sald ears very clean and look good. Vet felt no lumps around face or head. Raven not showing discomfort when palpitated near kidneys--vet checked twice. because he flinched during his check on monday.
He hears gut sounds and felt some feces. On ride home Raven made 3 poos.
I am to continue critical care syringe feeds, fluids,medicam,baytril ,and motility meds and give vet update in morning.

Last edited:
Hi, his ulcers were either side of his tongue and caused by small spurs. They were only visible under anaesthetic. The vet gave him antibiotics as a precaution if I can recall, and he had twice daily metacam for over 10 days. Also gut meds, this was his mega thread from the time http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...most-back-to-normal-)&highlight=Frosty+dental
Thank you for sharing. Raven on medicam and abx. His was almost healed when it was noticed. Vet checked his mouth conscious and with limited view did not see anything.

I really hope that Raven's appetite and gut motility will improve over the next few days. It is so stressful when a Bunny takes longer than expected to recover from a GA/Dental xx

Today is Raven's birthday , yet I was the one to get a present--a nice collection of high quality poos. Though right after I celebrated he stopped .
He is now getting critical care , medicam, fluids,antibiotic, and motility meds.
Thank you for your support. I needed to be reminded he probably needs more time to heal.

Last edited:
Raven has been eating well and then a few days ago I thought he seemed off, eating slower than usual, he would then return to normal and eat his hay, greens and even his pellets. When he is fussy with eating he also starts chewing the newspaper in his litterbox and turning some into confetti. In the early hours of Thursday he was chewing the newspaper a lot (not eating it). I saw he did not eat many of his greens from hours before and he had lots of hay uneaten, plus he did not drink much water. I cleaned his litterbox within 7 hours of the prior cleaning and he was passing some very nice poos and enough normal looking pee. I gave him some medicam and after a few hours he drank a normal amount of water and ate most greens and some hay. He also made more poo and pee. Thinking he was doing better I left him to go to a Y pool to do my exercises and therapy, followed by some errands in that neighborhood before returning home and seeing Raven barely ate or drank. He got fluids and more Medicam and I waited, and while he was still producing poo/pee I could feel his tummy was empty. He has the same symptoms he had in October/November so I decided to follow the same protocol with critical care, abx and motility meds along with pain meds and fluids.
My vet does not work every Friday so now I am worried I may not get an appointment. Where I live there are only a couple vets who see rabbits and they are always in demand. I will not even think of taking a rabbit to the emergency vet after my awful experience in September.
Please send some positive vibes for me and my handsome Raven.

Back