• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

He was eating mostly greens with a couple nibbles of his pellets today. He peed a lot, hopefully from fluids he got last night, and not from kidney issue. Tonight I will not give fluids and hope he remains hydrated and peeing.
At least I got to take a nap today after watching him most of the night.
Hoping for more improvement.

Last edited:
Raven stopped eating greens again on Friday, and now he is resisting syringe feeds a lot. I have him back on higher medicam dose and he ate more greens for several hours, nibbled a few pellets and selectively ate very little hay. Then he stopped again.
He had metacloprimide too. New bottle Cisapride being compounded for pickup tomorrow.
He is making pel and poo-small.
Calling vet monday morning. Asking for vibes.

Poor boy :cry: Could he have a dental abscess ?

Sending lots of vibes for him x
Thanks Jane.
It is hard to know what is wrong. At his dental nov 5 he had a small sore on one cheek, worn to gum molar, and a nick. However when I was syringe feeding him he chewed a few small holes in a towel that was under him and leaving the pieces when I paused.
He is on baytril so not sure if that would help if he did.

I hope vet is available tomorrow, though COVID rate increase has us back to waiting in car for staff to take pet inside before doctor phones. IF I can get appt what diagnostics do you suggest?

Last edited:
Thanks Jane.
It is hard to know what is wrong. At his dental nov 5 he had a small sore on one cheek, worn to gum molar, and a nick. However when I was syringe feeding him he chewed a few small holes in a towel that was under him and leaving the pieces when I paused.
He is on baytril so not sure if that would help if he did.

I hope vet is available tomorrow, though COVID rate increase has us back to waiting in car for staff to take pet inside before doctor phones. IF I can get appt what diagnostics do you suggest?

Skull radiographs if a dental abscess is suspected. But that would require another GA x

I was afraid you would say that,. It may also show ellongated roots.
Would an extraction be required for an abscess? My vet would likely not do one on him.

It would depend on the specific findings. It may not be anything Dental abscess related it all, hopefully it will be something far more straight forward.

Thanks Jane, Omi.

I was able to get an appointment for Raven at 11am. While the vet cannot see his full mouth, he was able to determine his previous sore was healed and based on his conscious exam of Raven's mouth and jaw that he does not think Raven's reluctance to eat is dental related. Raven's outer ears are also good.
Vet is reluctant to give him GA to get skull X-rays to determine if he has an abscess or elongated tooth roots since it could make him worse and the physical exam does not suggest more dental issues and a GA could cause his GI to be worse, same for a CAT scan. Vet said Raven's color was nice and pink, so not anemic.
Vet said that Raven had only a few gut sounds. I was surprised by this because Raven got Cisapride an hour before his appointment and Metacloprimide late last night.
Vet said Raven's issue more likely GI related.
He is to remain on the Baytril another 8 days (14 days total), and I am to continue to give motility meds (Cisapride and Metacloprimide) and to push the Critical Care (not what Raven wanted to hear). Vet also recalculated his Medicam dosage and I can safely give him a higher dose every day and the maximum dose twice a day for a few days if absolutely necessary.

Since Raven was seen today and vet will not be doing a GA on Raven, Zorro will not have to give Raven his surgical appointment tomorrow and Zorro's neuter will be done tomorrow morning as scheduled. Raven was hoping for a transplant since he lost his plums when I adopted him over five years ago.

Time to give Raven his Critical Care and meds.

I hope things will improve for Raven soon and that all goes well for Zorro’ s neuter x

Thank you Jane. Raven took his afternoon and evening critical care with less fighting so maybe he is feeling less crappy (or more like crapping). I just finished giving him his overnight meds and he will get some sub Q fluids before I go to bed because he can dehydrate quite quickly and I know I will be busy with Zorro before is surgery in the morning.

He does seem to have ups and downs during the day, so I am still trying to figure out what meds/supportive care may be helping him improve.

Back