• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Raven send more vibes Jan 25 post 208

He passed normal sized poos earlier so no blockage in gi. He ate few greens and nibbled very few strands of hay. He is such a good boy getting care, though syringe feed takes the most time with me providing lots of rubs and kisses as I wait for him to swallow 50 times for 20cc critical care at each session.
My spouse and I love him so much.
Bless him, he's in the best care with you, sending him and you a million vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I hope that Raven's gut function improves soon. It may be that he cant eat much hay for himself due to his pre-existing dental problems. Unfortunately some Rabbits can need very frequent Dentals if their problems are quite advanced/severe. Is Raven a Nethie ? As you know, this breed is particularly prone to developing Dental problems.

I dont know if you can obtain anything similar to Fibafirst Sticks in the USA

https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

These have a good fibre content and some Dental Bunnies manage to eat them. They can be crumbled up and fed that way if necessary.

ETA - just found these, would Raven eat them ?

https://www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Timothy-Pellets__4473643-comm--spc-4473642.aspx

Hi Jane,
Thanks for your thoughtfulness.
Yes, Raven is a Nethie. He has the typical short face. It does make me wonder if his teeth are an issue again, though it is confusing that he chews the newspapers in his litterbox when he only nibbles on his greens. He also took weeks to recover after his last dental where they found a few points. At that visit, it was the first time he had any sort of mouth irritation and it was an already healing ulcer under his tongue (not anywhere near the teeth) as per the vet who wondered if he chewed a sharp stick (nothing I could see).

I was able to order some Fibafirst sticks, though they are being shipped from UK and will take a few weeks to arrive. I will call the customer service number tomorrow to see if there is another option to get them quicker. I am not sure if they are similar, though they will arrive much sooner, so I also ordered a smaller package of a product called Garden Sticks. He already gets timothy based pellets, which he is not eating at this time.

Today I went to a crowded supermarket to locate organic carrots that still had the tops because it is his favorite green. It was very crowded with shelves/bins bare; though I got lucky because the second person I asked brought out an entire carton of organic carrots with the tops so I was able to pick up a couple bunches of carrots with the greens. Hopefully he will like his greens.

Bless him, he's in the best care with you, sending him and you a million vibes xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

You are being too kind. Atticus said you give much better care than I, and results do not lie.
While I do not want to jinx Raven, his poos are mostly normal sized/consistency; however, he may not make even one poo for several hours and then he will pop out a pile in a matter of minutes. I am not sure if this is due to medication schedule or syringe feeding schedule; or maybe he does it even when he is well and I just am not as (bunny) poo obsessed then. OK, that is an understatement because I have counted them (maybe weighing them would be faster-yes, I actually considered that).
Sending you and your crew some vibes too.

Topping up the vibes for Raven. Will he eat readigrass/chopped grass? Or fibafirst sticks? I don’t know if they are available in the US.

Thanks Zoobec. Jane sent me some links for fibafirst and I order some which are coming from UK. They will take a few weeks to arrive.

Hello friends,

He has been making more, larger poos for the last two days. He is hard to read ATM. He will eat some greens or a few strands of hay and then stop. Only to start shredding newspaper in his litter tray. I had some business at the Department of Motor Vehicles this afternoon and I did not expect to leave him as long as I did, so he did not get his fluids or syringe feeding on time. He surprised me because he did drink some water on his own, though not a usual amount even after he absorbed all the fluids he got overnight, so he still got sub q fluids and syringe feedings as soon as I got home. He is coming to me like he does when he is eating normally and wants a treat, yet he barely touches the fresh greens, hay or pellets I provided (even though he has a lot left over from the prior feeding). Though overnight he ate the fresh carrot greens I gave him hours after he got them, and then he ate some of his dandelion greens before stopping.
I may need to get his teeth and mouth checked under GA, and perhaps a skull X-ray. For now, I hope I can get enough food into him to keep his GI system moving and to maintain his weight until he is eating like his usual self or until we can investigate further to determine the cause of his not eating.

Because the vet noticed an already healing ulcer under his tongue in a position not caused by his teeth during his dental in October, I even wonder if he may have another one, or if his rear teeth grew enough for him to have more points. He is on abx and pain relief in addition to fluids, syringe feeding and motility drugs.
All I want for Christmas is to have Raven healthy; and to have Madelyn and Heidi remain healthy. The bunnies bring me so much joy.

Last edited:
Hello friends,

He has been making more, larger poos for the last two days. He is hard to read ATM. He will eat some greens or a few strands of hay and then stop. Only to start shredding newspaper in his litter tray. I had some business at the Department of Motor Vehicles this afternoon and I did not expect to leave him as long as I did, so he did not get his fluids or syringe feeding on time. He surprised me because he did drink some water on his own, though not a usual amount even after he absorbed all the fluids he got overnight, so he still got sub q fluids and syringe feedings as soon as I got home. He is coming to me like he does when he is eating normally and wants a treat, yet he barely touches the fresh greens, hay or pellets I provided (even though he has a lot left over from the prior feeding). Though overnight he ate the fresh carrot greens I gave him hours after he got them, and then he ate some of his dandelion greens before stopping.
I may need to get his teeth and mouth checked under GA, and perhaps a skull X-ray. For now, I hope I can get enough food into him to keep his GI system moving and to maintain his weight until he is eating like his usual self or until we can investigate further to determine the cause of his not eating.

Because the vet noticed an already healing ulcer under his tongue in a position not caused by his teeth during his dental in October, I even wonder if he may have another one, or if his rear teeth grew enough for him to have more points. He is on abx and pain relief in addition to fluids, syringe feeding and motility drugs.
All I want for Christmas is to have Raven healthy; and to have Madelyn and Heidi remain healthy. The bunnies bring me so much joy.

When he does get admitted for his Dental I would request a full blood profile first. Mouth ulceration can occur when renal function is compromised. I do hope that he will remain as well as possible over Christmas and that your other Bunnies remain well too xx

Adding my vibes that Raven will improve and that your other bunnies will stay well. I hope you can manage to have a Merry Christmas, bunny momma. :love: xxxxx

When he does get admitted for his Dental I would request a full blood profile first. Mouth ulceration can occur when renal function is compromised. I do hope that he will remain as well as possible over Christmas and that your other Bunnies remain well too xx
Thanks Jane,
They did blood work when he had dental in October on your recommendation and renal and liver normal .

Raven ate a few strands of hay on Tuesday, half a tablespoon of pellets, and a half cup of greens. H still requires critical care to supplement his food intake and fluids and meds.
Each day is a slight improvement, though I wonder if he can return to normal without a dental or additional tests.
We appreciate your support and wish you and our fuzzy and not so fuzzy friends a very merry Christmas.

Back