• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive caecotrophs

amaeving

Young Bun
I have a 2 year old male neutered lion head rabbit who came from the blue cross last year. He was bonded to my female but she died earlier this summer and since then he has been alone.

For approximately the last month he has been having horrible trouble with excessive caecotrophs everywhere and some soft faeces as well.

He has had both treats and pellets and greens cut out his diet. He has had hay (Timothy hay.co.uk) which he eats and I have tried fibreplex.

He doesn’t like any of the other rabbits I have.

Any ideas?

I have a 2 year old male neutered lion head rabbit who came from the blue cross last year. He was bonded to my female but she died earlier this summer and since then he has been alone.

For approximately the last month he has been having horrible trouble with excessive caecotrophs everywhere and some soft faeces as well.

He has had both treats and pellets and greens cut out his diet. He has had hay (Timothy hay.co.uk) which he eats and I have tried fibreplex.

Any ideas?

Has he been examined by a Vet in recent weeks ? That would be the first thing I'd advise you to do.

Is he losing weight ?

Is he less mobile than usual ?

Apart from Timothy Hay does he have any other food ?

What sort of accommodation does he live in and is there any chance that he may be stressed by the proximity of your other Rabbits and/or predators such as Cats/Foxes ?

Sorry for all the questions, but a bit more info may enable us to offer you so suggestions. But as I said, a Vet check would be the first thing to do (if you have not already done so )

He has had bloods and faecal samples done. He isn’t stiff but I have trialled metacam and he hasn’t changed volumes. He is in a garage with holes drilled into the walls through to a run outside which he has lived in for the last year. He can touch the other rabbits through the bars and he chooses to sit by them but when allowed direct contact they try to kill each other!

He has had bloods and faecal samples done. He isn’t stiff but I have trialled metacam and he hasn’t changed volumes. He is in a garage with holes drilled into the walls through to a run outside which he has lived in for the last year. He can touch the other rabbits through the bars and he chooses to sit by them but when allowed direct contact they try to kill each other!

What is his exact diet each day ?

Any ideas?
dear amaeving,-here is my link to sanity http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html the cecotropes are not always eaten,due to gut flora-balance,-,-however-excessive or not ingesting cecos-could be a problem.--diet sounds ok on the surface.--please review the poop link for better identification of a problem--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Back