• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anyone has a bun that drinks water like a whale?

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
While I take my bun Fudgie to the vet, we talk about my other newly adopted bun, Andi. Since the 1st day I got her, she drinks like a whale.

Further, her poo size is the largest I've ever seen in the past 21 years, bigger than the poos from the Flemish Giants that I used to have back in 1998 to 2007. She eats a lot of hay, and she can clean out 1/2 a carrot in under 10 min., my other bun takes an evening to clean out the same 1/2 size carrot.

The vet said he has seen some small animals that is normal but drinks a lot of water, but he also said rabbit w/ kidney problem also drink a lot of water

He also said to confirm rabbit w/ kidney problem, sometimes it take several blood tests. But it looks like doing so, is like chasing ghost. As I have seen no other symptoms w/ Andi. She is so full of energy, w/ no other signs of any sickness, unless we count drinking a lot of water is sickness

anyhoo, her consumption on water is at the high end of a rabbit at 2.32 KG, as she drinks a whoppy 235 ml of water per 24 hr.

So, does any other rabbit owner here have a healthy rabbit but drinks a lot of water? if so, how much water?

Hay is pretty dry, so she may be drinking more water to balance out all the hay she is eating. It sounds like she is doing an excellent job with the hay. If her water consumption is consistent, I don't think I would be too worried. We usually struggle to get our rabbits to drink more to avoid bladder sludge.

It is possible to check the urine for an indication of kidney health (eg specific gravity).

you mean some medical test on the urine? her water level is the same since I adopted her in Aug. She's the first bun I need 2 bowl of water in her hang out area as she can drink to the bottom of the 1st bowl.

While I take my bun Fudgie to the vet, we talk about my other newly adopted bun, Andi. Since the 1st day I got her, she drinks like a whale.

Further, her poo size is the largest I've ever seen in the past 21 years, bigger than the poos from the Flemish Giants that I used to have back in 1998 to 2007. She eats a lot of hay, and she can clean out 1/2 a carrot in under 10 min., my other bun takes an evening to clean out the same 1/2 size carrot.

The vet said he has seen some small animals that is normal but drinks a lot of water, but he also said rabbit w/ kidney problem also drink a lot of water

He also said to confirm rabbit w/ kidney problem, sometimes it take several blood tests. But it looks like doing so, is like chasing ghost. As I have seen no other symptoms w/ Andi. She is so full of energy, w/ no other signs of any sickness, unless we count drinking a lot of water is sickness

anyhoo, her consumption on water is at the high end of a rabbit at 2.32 KG, as she drinks a whoppy 235 ml of water per 24 hr.

So, does any other rabbit owner here have a healthy rabbit but drinks a lot of water? if so, how much water?

I was told it was 100ml per kg on weight over a 24 hour period so she seems to be spot on?

I have a rabbit that drinks a hell of a lot more than what he's supposed to based on the weight to water estimate [emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I have a 1 litre water bowl for Knox.
I find I have to refill it twice during hotter days and only once when cooler.
He drinks more water than my dogs

I have a 1 litre water bowl for Knox.
I find I have to refill it twice during hotter days and only once when cooler.
He drinks more water than my dogs

how long do you have Knox? what is his weight? did you meausre how many ml he drinks per 24 hr.?

I was told it was 100ml per kg on weight over a 24 hour period so she seems to be spot on?

I have a rabbit that drinks a hell of a lot more than what he's supposed to based on the weight to water estimate [emoji38]

True. But w/ all my bunnies, and among other people's buns, it's rare to see a bun that remotely meet that standard.

anyhoo, what's your bun's weight and the amt. of water he drinks?

how long do you have Knox? what is his weight? did you meausre how many ml he drinks per 24 hr.?

I have had Knox for about 6 months now.
I don't remember exactly, I think he is about 5kg. Same weight as my smaller cat (and Knox's buddy)
I haven't measured. in all honesty I cant see how I would do that accurately with a bowl.
I do have bunny drinking bottles but they're permanently attached to my fish tanks (best place for them IMO)

True. But w/ all my bunnies, and among other people's buns, it's rare to see a bun that remotely meet that standard.

anyhoo, what's your bun's weight and the amt. of water he drinks?
He's 3kg and he'll drink up to 3/4 of the bowl in 24 hours, the bowl hold 1L

A while back my vet asked me to track it exactly so we measured out each bit we gave him, in 24 hours he drank between 500ml - 700ml (did it for a week) did the same thing when he was younger and it was less though, but he was under a year then.

I have a 4.5 kg and a 3.6kg pair living together - so that's 810ml in 24 hours between them, and they drink almost all of their 1L bowl. (we change all water twice a day sometimes more, depends, but the amount that goes is steady, and we buy the same amount every week)

I have a 4.4kg bun who drinks 200ml a day.. And had bladder sludge issues because of this, her diet includes a lot more wet veggies and herbs now to make up for the lack of drinking.

I don't have any real answers or suggestions, just if you're worried I'd definitely see the vet about it, I did with my male rabbit because I was very worried at first.

I have had Knox for about 6 months now.
I don't remember exactly, I think he is about 5kg. Same weight as my smaller cat (and Knox's buddy)
I haven't measured. in all honesty I cant see how I would do that accurately with a bowl.
I do have bunny drinking bottles but they're permanently attached to my fish tanks (best place for them IMO)
There's no need to measure if you don't need to, but we did with bowls, we don't use bottles at all, I poured some into a measuring jug, noted the amount, poured it in the bowl and did that every top up for the 24 hours, the made a note and we repeat that every day for a week (only because my vet asked us to, I don't daily now obvs [emoji38]) but if you ever need to, it is possible :)

There's no need to measure if you don't need to, but we did with bowls, we don't use bottles at all, I poured some into a measuring jug, noted the amount, poured it in the bowl and did that every top up for the 24 hours, the made a note and we repeat that every day for a week (only because my vet asked us to, I don't daily now obvs [emoji38]) but if you ever need to, it is possible :)

Fair enough. I'd want to me more accurate than that so would have to work out the evaporation rate :D

Fair enough. I'd want to me more accurate than that so would have to work out the evaporation rate :D
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I mean I assume it can't be much in the winter in the UK? Idek though tbh!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I mean I assume it can't be much in the winter in the UK? Idek though tbh!

Evaporation is worst in winter as typically central heating dehumidifies the air. :D I hate keeping large Aquariums during winter months lol
When its hot and humid is when evaporation is at its lowest as the air effectively has as much moisture as it can hold

Evaporation is worst in winter as typically central heating dehumidifies the air. :D I hate keeping large Aquariums during winter months lol
When its hot and humid is when evaporation is at its lowest as the air effectively has as much moisture as it can hold
Oo that's interesting! We don't have any heating so Idk what it would be like in here [emoji38]

I can't wait til my house is finished, I'm finally going to be able to get fish, I'm looking at getting some discus, spoke to a few guys in some fish shops and they seem to think it varies whether I'll have able to have a planted tank or not [emoji38] some say they're destructive, good luck, others say it should be fine. I think they look so beautiful though without jumping into saltwater [emoji38]

I'd like a little betta tank too, so angry when they flare [emoji38]

Have you had Discus before? Probably one of the hardest Freshwater fish out there. They're SOOOO skittish. I had 6 with mangroves and silver dollars as dither fish. Couldn't do planted due to the amount of waste and mess they make when they feed
Got hit in the face multiple times by them (weigh about 6lbs and about 12" at the time) it hurts.

Cichlids would be cool, Tiger Oscar Pair or Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey would be cool

Salt water sin't harder than fresh. Just different and more expensive to Set up

Have you had Discus before? Probably one of the hardest Freshwater fish out there. They're SOOOO skittish. I had 6 with mangroves and silver dollars as dither fish. Couldn't do planted due to the amount of waste and mess they make when they feed
Got hit in the face multiple times by them (weigh about 6lbs and about 12" at the time) it hurts.

Cichlids would be cool, Tiger Oscar Pair or Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey would be cool

Salt water sin't harder than fresh. Just different and more expensive to Set up

Nope! I was worried about this, but apparently it should be okay? I read they are skittish and a lid is a must and moving quickly near the tank could spook them :( I forget how many litres the tank is but I think its 5ft long, the guy said I could have maybe 6 in there with like 25 cardinals, and some other things, said no plecos they like the slime the discus is covered in and that really freaks them out? [emoji38] Yea they said about mess, but said diet can help, apparently they like beef hearts? Or something but that's not necessary and will make the tank look like a murder scene [emoji38] apparently they'll have to ship them in.. I just fell in love with them in the shop, I'll give it a go I think, sounds like the planted tank is a bit unrealistic then, what did you feed yours? :)

Definitely cost is a factor with salt water - although it does seem more complicated to me [emoji38] I was looking at the red sea reefer tanks, so beautiful.. But yea nearly double what I was planning on spending on a normal tank. And the stuff I'd need is pricey too - maybe one day, I'll see if I can do discus first I think [emoji38]

Nope! I was worried about this, but apparently it should be okay? I read they are skittish and a lid is a must and moving quickly near the tank could spook them :( I forget how many litres the tank is but I think its 5ft long, the guy said I could have maybe 6 in there with like 25 cardinals, and some other things, said no plecos they like the slime the discus is covered in and that really freaks them out? [emoji38] Yea they said about mess, but said diet can help, apparently they like beef hearts? Or something but that's not necessary and will make the tank look like a murder scene [emoji38] apparently they'll have to ship them in.. I just fell in love with them in the shop, I'll give it a go I think, sounds like the planted tank is a bit unrealistic then, what did you feed yours? :)

Definitely cost is a factor with salt water - although it does seem more complicated to me [emoji38] I was looking at the red sea reefer tanks, so beautiful.. But yea nearly double what I was planning on spending on a normal tank. And the stuff I'd need is pricey too - maybe one day, I'll see if I can do discus first I think [emoji38]

I mean for me, they were far too much work, effort and stress. I must have gone through approximately 30 or 40 specimens before I managed to get 6 that would co exists with little aggression. Also teh continued skittishness eventually weakened and broke the tank and I lost everything (roughly £8k at that point) nearly put me off for life that
Beef Hearts is a no, its like feeding bunnies only Alfalpha Pellets. I had luck breeding my own Live Feeder Shrimp (Mysis, Baby Brine Shrimp) they're more dietary beneficial and a natural enhancers to colours.

I mean for me, they were far too much work, effort and stress. I must have gone through approximately 30 or 40 specimens before I managed to get 6 that would co exists with little aggression. Also teh continued skittishness eventually weakened and broke the tank and I lost everything (roughly £8k at that point) nearly put me off for life that
Beef Hearts is a no, its like feeding bunnies only Alfalpha Pellets. I had luck breeding my own Live Feeder Shrimp (Mysis, Baby Brine Shrimp) they're more dietary beneficial and a natural enhancers to colours.

Gosh, I'll have to look into this even more, I hadn't seen anyone say about that :(

Yea I wasn't gunna feed that, some guys said the breeders feed that often? Idk. I was suggested a pellet and live food mix. Doing my own shrimp in a separate little tank would be okay. Thanks for the alfalfa example makes absolute sense now :)

Also said if I got the 6 at the same time it should be okay, because I originally asked if I could get like two and add and everyone was like not a good idea.. Not sure I could deal with what you've described, the heartbreak of losing that many :( sorry you lost so many :(

In regards to the bunny who drinks a lot, you may want to have the vet check your bunny for diabetes (one of the signs is excessive thirst); though it likely that this is a perfectly normal amount for your particular bunny to drink. I would be more concerned if your bunny's drinking habits changed to drinking much more or much less; or if your bunny was dehydrating or retaining fluids in spite of the bunny's level of drinking.

He's 3kg and he'll drink up to 3/4 of the bowl in 24 hours, the bowl hold 1L

A while back my vet asked me to track it exactly so we measured out each bit we gave him, in 24 hours he drank between 500ml - 700ml (did it for a week) did the same thing when he was younger and it was less though, but he was under a year then.

I have a 4.5 kg and a 3.6kg pair living together - so that's 810ml in 24 hours between them, and they drink almost all of their 1L bowl. (we change all water twice a day sometimes more, depends, but the amount that goes is steady, and we buy the same amount every week)

I have a 4.4kg bun who drinks 200ml a day.. And had bladder sludge issues because of this, her diet includes a lot more wet veggies and herbs now to make up for the lack of drinking.

I don't have any real answers or suggestions, just if you're worried I'd definitely see the vet about it, I did with my male rabbit because I was very worried at first.

that's huge even for a 3 KG. My little bun is 2.3 KG, and she sucks up 235 ml, and I thought that's a record. The towels she pees on are all soaking wet

Back