Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: anyone has a bun that drinks water like a whale?

  1. #11
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    There's no need to measure if you don't need to, but we did with bowls, we don't use bottles at all, I poured some into a measuring jug, noted the amount, poured it in the bowl and did that every top up for the 24 hours, the made a note and we repeat that every day for a week (only because my vet asked us to, I don't daily now obvs ) but if you ever need to, it is possible

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. I'd want to me more accurate than that so would have to work out the evaporation rate
    I sometimes post my bunny on Instagram (beware a lot of fish pics on this) @keeperofkojin

  2. #12
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
    Fair enough. I'd want to me more accurate than that so would have to work out the evaporation rate


    I mean I assume it can't be much in the winter in the UK? Idek though tbh!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post


    I mean I assume it can't be much in the winter in the UK? Idek though tbh!

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Evaporation is worst in winter as typically central heating dehumidifies the air. I hate keeping large Aquariums during winter months lol
    When its hot and humid is when evaporation is at its lowest as the air effectively has as much moisture as it can hold
    I sometimes post my bunny on Instagram (beware a lot of fish pics on this) @keeperofkojin

  4. #14
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
    Evaporation is worst in winter as typically central heating dehumidifies the air. I hate keeping large Aquariums during winter months lol
    When its hot and humid is when evaporation is at its lowest as the air effectively has as much moisture as it can hold
    Oo that's interesting! We don't have any heating so Idk what it would be like in here

    I can't wait til my house is finished, I'm finally going to be able to get fish, I'm looking at getting some discus, spoke to a few guys in some fish shops and they seem to think it varies whether I'll have able to have a planted tank or not some say they're destructive, good luck, others say it should be fine. I think they look so beautiful though without jumping into saltwater

    I'd like a little betta tank too, so angry when they flare

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Have you had Discus before? Probably one of the hardest Freshwater fish out there. They're SOOOO skittish. I had 6 with mangroves and silver dollars as dither fish. Couldn't do planted due to the amount of waste and mess they make when they feed
    Got hit in the face multiple times by them (weigh about 6lbs and about 12" at the time) it hurts.

    Cichlids would be cool, Tiger Oscar Pair or Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey would be cool

    Salt water sin't harder than fresh. Just different and more expensive to Set up
    I sometimes post my bunny on Instagram (beware a lot of fish pics on this) @keeperofkojin

  6. #16
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
    Have you had Discus before? Probably one of the hardest Freshwater fish out there. They're SOOOO skittish. I had 6 with mangroves and silver dollars as dither fish. Couldn't do planted due to the amount of waste and mess they make when they feed
    Got hit in the face multiple times by them (weigh about 6lbs and about 12" at the time) it hurts.

    Cichlids would be cool, Tiger Oscar Pair or Tiger Oscar and Jack Dempsey would be cool

    Salt water sin't harder than fresh. Just different and more expensive to Set up
    Nope! I was worried about this, but apparently it should be okay? I read they are skittish and a lid is a must and moving quickly near the tank could spook them I forget how many litres the tank is but I think its 5ft long, the guy said I could have maybe 6 in there with like 25 cardinals, and some other things, said no plecos they like the slime the discus is covered in and that really freaks them out? Yea they said about mess, but said diet can help, apparently they like beef hearts? Or something but that's not necessary and will make the tank look like a murder scene apparently they'll have to ship them in.. I just fell in love with them in the shop, I'll give it a go I think, sounds like the planted tank is a bit unrealistic then, what did you feed yours?

    Definitely cost is a factor with salt water - although it does seem more complicated to me I was looking at the red sea reefer tanks, so beautiful.. But yea nearly double what I was planning on spending on a normal tank. And the stuff I'd need is pricey too - maybe one day, I'll see if I can do discus first I think



    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  7. #17
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    Nope! I was worried about this, but apparently it should be okay? I read they are skittish and a lid is a must and moving quickly near the tank could spook them I forget how many litres the tank is but I think its 5ft long, the guy said I could have maybe 6 in there with like 25 cardinals, and some other things, said no plecos they like the slime the discus is covered in and that really freaks them out? Yea they said about mess, but said diet can help, apparently they like beef hearts? Or something but that's not necessary and will make the tank look like a murder scene apparently they'll have to ship them in.. I just fell in love with them in the shop, I'll give it a go I think, sounds like the planted tank is a bit unrealistic then, what did you feed yours?

    Definitely cost is a factor with salt water - although it does seem more complicated to me I was looking at the red sea reefer tanks, so beautiful.. But yea nearly double what I was planning on spending on a normal tank. And the stuff I'd need is pricey too - maybe one day, I'll see if I can do discus first I think



    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    I mean for me, they were far too much work, effort and stress. I must have gone through approximately 30 or 40 specimens before I managed to get 6 that would co exists with little aggression. Also teh continued skittishness eventually weakened and broke the tank and I lost everything (roughly 8k at that point) nearly put me off for life that
    Beef Hearts is a no, its like feeding bunnies only Alfalpha Pellets. I had luck breeding my own Live Feeder Shrimp (Mysis, Baby Brine Shrimp) they're more dietary beneficial and a natural enhancers to colours.
    I sometimes post my bunny on Instagram (beware a lot of fish pics on this) @keeperofkojin

  8. #18
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    15,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
    I mean for me, they were far too much work, effort and stress. I must have gone through approximately 30 or 40 specimens before I managed to get 6 that would co exists with little aggression. Also teh continued skittishness eventually weakened and broke the tank and I lost everything (roughly 8k at that point) nearly put me off for life that
    Beef Hearts is a no, its like feeding bunnies only Alfalpha Pellets. I had luck breeding my own Live Feeder Shrimp (Mysis, Baby Brine Shrimp) they're more dietary beneficial and a natural enhancers to colours.
    Gosh, I'll have to look into this even more, I hadn't seen anyone say about that

    Yea I wasn't gunna feed that, some guys said the breeders feed that often? Idk. I was suggested a pellet and live food mix. Doing my own shrimp in a separate little tank would be okay. Thanks for the alfalfa example makes absolute sense now

    Also said if I got the 6 at the same time it should be okay, because I originally asked if I could get like two and add and everyone was like not a good idea.. Not sure I could deal with what you've described, the heartbreak of losing that many sorry you lost so many

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    Warren Veteran bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,003

    Default

    In regards to the bunny who drinks a lot, you may want to have the vet check your bunny for diabetes (one of the signs is excessive thirst); though it likely that this is a perfectly normal amount for your particular bunny to drink. I would be more concerned if your bunny's drinking habits changed to drinking much more or much less; or if your bunny was dehydrating or retaining fluids in spite of the bunny's level of drinking.

  10. #20
    Wise Old Thumper Happy Hopping's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    He's 3kg and he'll drink up to 3/4 of the bowl in 24 hours, the bowl hold 1L

    A while back my vet asked me to track it exactly so we measured out each bit we gave him, in 24 hours he drank between 500ml - 700ml (did it for a week) did the same thing when he was younger and it was less though, but he was under a year then.

    I have a 4.5 kg and a 3.6kg pair living together - so that's 810ml in 24 hours between them, and they drink almost all of their 1L bowl. (we change all water twice a day sometimes more, depends, but the amount that goes is steady, and we buy the same amount every week)

    I have a 4.4kg bun who drinks 200ml a day.. And had bladder sludge issues because of this, her diet includes a lot more wet veggies and herbs now to make up for the lack of drinking.

    I don't have any real answers or suggestions, just if you're worried I'd definitely see the vet about it, I did with my male rabbit because I was very worried at first.

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
    that's huge even for a 3 KG. My little bun is 2.3 KG, and she sucks up 235 ml, and I thought that's a record. The towels she pees on are all soaking wet
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •