• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination help!

capable

Mama Doe
I’m a very bad rabbit mother, and my vet didn’t send me a reminder for my boys vaccinations!

Roo’s Nobivac was on 3rd October last year, he’s booked in for that again today. Roo and William both had their Filavac on 25th October last year.

I know you’re meant to wait 2 weeks between each vaccine, but that will put Roo past his Filavac date, and I’m worried about this - if anyone remembers, I lost 2 buns to RHD2 this time last year.

Would it be possible to get Roo’s Filavac done inside the 2 week window, or might it do more harm than good? I’ll be getting William’s done before the 25th, regardless.

Rant time...
No use asking my vet - despite having the ‘best exotics vet practitioner in the country’ working there, they still don’t stock or administer Filavac as standard. Despite one of my buns passing away whilst in their care, and after they did both autopsies on my 2 buns and sent off the lab work which confirmed RHD2. Just this morning, when I phoned to see if they stock Filavac yet, I had to explain to their small animals nurse that yes rabbits do need 2 vaccines, it’s not a case of one being ‘better’ than the other. Apparently they can order it in, but they don’t provide it as standard.
Last year I went to another practice to get the Filavac vaccinations for Roo and William, but the vet we saw had an atrocious attitude towards rabbits as pets (claimed that myxomatosis was just ‘one of those things’, amongst other comments), but after losing 2 buns I was just thankful to have them vaccinated.
If anyone can recommend a better rabbit vet in the Belfast/County Down area, I’m all ears!

If it were me I would wait the full 2 weeks before taking Roo for his Filovac. He would by my reckoning be just a week overdue then and protection would not just suddenly cease on the due date.

My reasoning would be not that it would do harm to have it before, but it might not allow time for a good response from his immune system and so might not 'take' properly and give him the full protection from the 2nd vaccine.

Hello, we also recently lost rabbits to RHD2 and have just vaccinated our remaining . As her other vaccinations were due we had all three at the same time. Our vet contacted the drugs company who advised they have not seen any adverse affects they have just not licensed them together yet but are planning to do this soon .

If it were me I would wait the full 2 weeks before taking Roo for his Filovac. He would by my reckoning be just a week overdue then and protection would not just suddenly cease on the due date.

My reasoning would be not that it would do harm to have it before, but it might not allow time for a good response from his immune system and so might not 'take' properly and give him the full protection from the 2nd vaccine.
I agree, I was worried about this, but the protection doesn't cut off dead on the 12 months :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Just found this -

Although it is not 100% protective against myxomatosis, Nobivac Myxo-RHD is the only vaccine we have against myxomatosis so rabbits need to be vaccinated with Nobivac Myxo/RHD as well as another vaccine against RHDV2 in order to be fully protected against both diseases. An interval of at least two weeks between vaccinations is recommended although MSD, the manufacturers of Nobivac Myxo-RHD, has evidence that there is no immunological interference if Nobivac Myxo-RHD and Filovac are given concurrently.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...bit-haemorrhagic-disease/how-to-order-vaccine

I still think I'd wanna wait personally, but could be alright if you wanted to do them at the same time by the sounds of it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be worried about my rabbits being 1 week over due. But I may feel differently if I had lost a bunny to RHD2, I'm sorry you've been through that.

Thank you all.

I think I’m just upset because despite all I went through with the vets and losing my 2 boys last year, they STILL don’t stock Filavac, and the staff still seem to have no knowledge of it.

I’m going to get Roo his Nobivac tonight, and then take him and William for their Filavac in 2 weeks time.

Update: I may have to eat my words. A surprise, but a pleasant one - the first thing the vet (never worked with him before) said when we came in was ‘would you like to talk about RHD2?’. Turns out they now stock Eravac, and if this vet was anything to go by, I’m hoping beyond hope that they recommend it to all rabbit owners. Now if the memo could be passed into their vet nurses and reception staff, that’d be perfect... So we’ll be back in 2 weeks time to get both boys their Eravac.

Update: I may have to eat my words. A surprise, but a pleasant one - the first thing the vet (never worked with him before) said when we came in was ‘would you like to talk about RHD2?’. Turns out they now stock Eravac, and if this vet was anything to go by, I’m hoping beyond hope that they recommend it to all rabbit owners. Now if the memo could be passed into their vet nurses and reception staff, that’d be perfect... So we’ll be back in 2 weeks time to get both boys their Eravac.

Just a heads up that Eravac is only licensed to give protection for 9 months, not a year and it only covers RHD2.

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/eravac-uk-datasheet-0.pdf

Filivac covers both RHD1 + 2. But as long as Nobivac Myxo-RHD vaccinations are kept up to date RHD1 will still be covered

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/documents/filavac.doc

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

Back