• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help, I want to give my bunny a fighting chance

Meghan

New Kit
Hello,

Im desperately trying to gain as much advice/information as possible.

So, last week my bunny Martha had very red eyes with some white sticky liquid seeping from them. I took her to the vet where they did several tests including the green reaction stuff and it was decided she either had myxi or a horrible infection. Gave her a shot of penicillin, gave us some drops to use for 5 days and told us to come back in a week if things weren't improving. It had been 6 days so i stopped giving her the drops and her eyes seemed okay, then 2 days later her eyes came back worse than before. Rushed her back up to the vets where they ruled out myxi after several more tests (including the green reaction stuff again) and confirmed she had ulcers in both her eyes.

Short story, her tear ducts stopped working, caused severally dry eyes, which when rubbing against her eyelid caused the ulcers. We have drops and cream along with pain meds, but my vet has said theres nothing they can do if she doesn't improve by tuesday (4 days from now) after a lot of googling it seems like this is common? and buns don't get put to sleep from that alone? Shes still eating, drinking, pooping, opening her eyes now, and her eyes don't seem so red any more but the ulcers are definitely there (one is worse than the other) and she seems down in the dumps but still alert and reasonably herself.

I don't want to give up on her, but i don't want to put her through unnecessary pain.
Has anyone got any experience either way? I want to know what I'm up against here as the vet has somewhat already put her on a death sentence.

Thank you in advance,
Meg and Martha

Hi perhaps you may need to find another vet. I'm not sure what could be wrong with her eyes but a better rabbit savvy vet could help. What area are you in ?

Hi perhaps you may need to find another vet. I'm not sure what could be wrong with her eyes but a better rabbit savvy vet could help. What area are you in ?
Definitely agree!

If you share your rough area members might be able to recommend a good rabbit savvy vet nearby where you are.

I definitely wouldn't pts based on what you've said.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hello,

Im desperately trying to gain as much advice/information as possible.

So, last week my bunny Martha had very red eyes with some white sticky liquid seeping from them. I took her to the vet where they did several tests including the green reaction stuff and it was decided she either had myxi or a horrible infection. Gave her a shot of penicillin, gave us some drops to use for 5 days and told us to come back in a week if things weren't improving. It had been 6 days so i stopped giving her the drops and her eyes seemed okay, then 2 days later her eyes came back worse than before. Rushed her back up to the vets where they ruled out myxi after several more tests (including the green reaction stuff again) and confirmed she had ulcers in both her eyes.

Short story, her tear ducts stopped working, caused severally dry eyes, which when rubbing against her eyelid caused the ulcers. We have drops and cream along with pain meds, but my vet has said theres nothing they can do if she doesn't improve by tuesday (4 days from now) after a lot of googling it seems like this is common? and buns don't get put to sleep from that alone? Shes still eating, drinking, pooping, opening her eyes now, and her eyes don't seem so red any more but the ulcers are definitely there (one is worse than the other) and she seems down in the dumps but still alert and reasonably herself.

I don't want to give up on her, but i don't want to put her through unnecessary pain.
Has anyone got any experience either way? I want to know what I'm up against here as the vet has somewhat already put her on a death sentence.

Thank you in advance,
Meg and Martha

Hello

I too think that it may be wise for you to seek a second opinion about Martha's condition. There are several treatment options available -different medications, plasma therapy, (In deep severe ulcers plasma from the Rabbit's own blood is used. This requires taking blood from the Bunny spinning the blood in a centrifuge to remove the blood cells and keeping the pale yellow plasma. This plasma contains lots of natural healing properties and protective enzymes to speed up ulcer healing. The Vet would give you the plasma in ready made up syringes for you to apply to Bunny's eye(s)- usually four times daily. The plasma must be kept in the freezer and only taken out and put into the fridge a few hours before use.)

Some more info on these links :

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_di... is depressed and can stop eating or drinking.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/CornealUlcerationRabbit.htm

https://www.veteyecenter.com/corneal-ulcers.pml

Perhaps a more 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet would be willing to pursue them rather than giving up straight away.

You may be able to locate a Rabbit Savvy Vet that you could get to on here :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

A referral to a Veterinary Ophthalmologist is also an option eg https://www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals/ophthalmology

Good luck xx

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the day i take her back to the vet for her check up, I've got a lot of questions to ask her before i make any decisions (teeth, flushing her tear ducts, removing the ulcer under anaesthetic ect ect)

In regards to the list above, the vets i take her to is 'vet savvy' however, the reason I'm so anxious about this visit is last year another one of my bunnies had to be PTS after one particular vet missed the massive tumours growing in her jaw.. some of the vets I've met in the practice are absolutely amazing, but this particular one (which i believe is the same one I'm seeing tomorrow) was not great in my opinion.

I am refusing to let her put Martha down tomorrow, and if i am unhappy with what she says I will look further afield for a vet for a second opinion. I've seen nothing but positive stories about treating ulcers and for her to say she's "never seen ulcers in the eyes before" worries me a lot.

Thank you for all your help so far,
Meg and Martha

ps- I live on the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire boarder and currently go to a vets4pets practice.

Tomorrow is the day i take her back to the vet for her check up, I've got a lot of questions to ask her before i make any decisions (teeth, flushing her tear ducts, removing the ulcer under anaesthetic ect ect)

In regards to the list above, the vets i take her to is 'vet savvy' however, the reason I'm so anxious about this visit is last year another one of my bunnies had to be PTS after one particular vet missed the massive tumours growing in her jaw.. some of the vets I've met in the practice are absolutely amazing, but this particular one (which i believe is the same one I'm seeing tomorrow) was not great in my opinion.

I am refusing to let her put Martha down tomorrow, and if i am unhappy with what she says I will look further afield for a vet for a second opinion. I've seen nothing but positive stories about treating ulcers and for her to say she's "never seen ulcers in the eyes before" worries me a lot.

Meg and Martha

ps- I live on the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire/Oxfordshire boarder and currently go to a vets4pets practice.

I certainly hope that you have a better consultation today. No way would I agree to PTS at this stage, as you have seen there are many treatment options available and you are doing the right thing to fight for them. Although you should not have to do so.

Meg and Martha

Is the vet rabbit savvy though? Most aren't and are very unaware of how to treat exotics, which rabbits fall under. My local Vets4pets is terrible with rabbits.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Good luck, I would also see a second opinion from a rabbit savvy vet. Please keep us updated x

Just a quick update incase anyone is interested..

Martha is very much still alive, i was not happy with what the vet said so took her to a vet a friend with bunnies recommended and i checked was on the list that was provided in this thread.

The vet there was quick to take her in to do a load of diagnostic tests under general anaesthetic. So we've had every test done so we can to rule out myxi, head tilt and parasites. They've taken swabs of the cheesy looking fluid in her eyes, and taken a biopsy of the red inflamed skin under her eyelid (sounds as awful as it looks!) alongside X-rays of her head and teeth. They also flushed her tear ducts and cleaned her eyes up properly whilst she was under.

They found ulcers on her tongue, and can't see anything too crazy as she is currently physically presenting. We've got to just wait and see if these swabs/bloods or X-rays come back with anything.

Martha is feeling very very sorry for herself, her left eye that they took the biopsy from looks AWFUL, but hoping that in the morning she's back to herself once this anaesthetic wears off.
Thank you for all your help, i would of been too afraid to ask for a second opinion.

Just a quick update incase anyone is interested..

Martha is very much still alive, i was not happy with what the vet said so took her to a vet a friend with bunnies recommended and i checked was on the list that was provided in this thread.

The vet there was quick to take her in to do a load of diagnostic tests under general anaesthetic. So we've had every test done so we can to rule out myxi, head tilt and parasites. They've taken swabs of the cheesy looking fluid in her eyes, and taken a biopsy of the red inflamed skin under her eyelid (sounds as awful as it looks!) alongside X-rays of her head and teeth. They also flushed her tear ducts and cleaned her eyes up properly whilst she was under.

They found ulcers on her tongue, and can't see anything too crazy as she is currently physically presenting. We've got to just wait and see if these swabs/bloods or X-rays come back with anything.

Martha is feeling very very sorry for herself, her left eye that they took the biopsy from looks AWFUL, but hoping that in the morning she's back to herself once this anaesthetic wears off.
Thank you for all your help, i would of been too afraid to ask for a second opinion.

Well done Meghan !! You have done everything possible to get appropriate help for Martha. I hope that she will be feeling brighter by this morning and that the test results provide the Vet with some information as to what is going on.

Martha is lucky to have you to advocate for her :love:

A further update...

Martha tested positive for E-cuniculi, she's on the 28 day course of medication to kill the parasite, gut moving medication and pain relief. We just have to wait and see if the parasite has caused too much damage.
The problem we are facing currently is she's lost a lot of weight very quickly and we don't know whats causing it..is it the parasite? is she in pain? She is still excited about food and does eat, but I'm not sure if she's getting enough (her fatty sister will barge her out the way sometimes, so we've started separating them at meal times) but any other ideas on how to get her to gain weight?
The next problem we have is if she gains enough weight in the next few weeks we will have to have a serious discussion about removing one or maybe both her eyes. This isn't something i want to do, but I'm pretty sure she's definely gone blind in one eye. Can buns live without both their eyes?

Im terrified this parasite is going to have caused too many problems that we can't fix and I can't even begin to think about loosing her so soon after her sister.

Any help, advice and brutal honesty would be gratefully appreciated.

Thankyou,

Meg and Martha

A further update...

Martha tested positive for E-cuniculi, she's on the 28 day course of medication to kill the parasite, gut moving medication and pain relief. We just have to wait and see if the parasite has caused too much damage.
The problem we are facing currently is she's lost a lot of weight very quickly and we don't know whats causing it..is it the parasite? is she in pain? She is still excited about food and does eat, but I'm not sure if she's getting enough (her fatty sister will barge her out the way sometimes, so we've started separating them at meal times) but any other ideas on how to get her to gain weight?
The next problem we have is if she gains enough weight in the next few weeks we will have to have a serious discussion about removing one or maybe both her eyes. This isn't something i want to do, but I'm pretty sure she's definely gone blind in one eye. Can buns live without both their eyes?

Im terrified this parasite is going to have caused too many problems that we can't fix and I can't even begin to think about loosing her so soon after her sister.

Any help, advice and brutal honesty would be gratefully appreciated.

Thankyou,

Meg and Martha

It is not at all unusual for a Rabbit with 'active' EC to lose a lot of weight. Unfortunately EC effects the kidneys too.

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

Did the Vet comment on her Kidney function from the recent blood tests ? If chronic renal failure is an issue then there are some treatments that can be given as a supportive measure, but the kidney damage already done cannot be 'cured'.

http://noahsarkvet.co.uk/2018/08/06/kidney-problems/

I am not sure that I would opt for the removal of the eye's of a Rabbit already in CRF, but it is only a decision that the caregiver and a Rabbit Savvy Vet can make. I assume she is on some antibiotic treatment for her eye problems ?

Sending loads of vibes for Martha. Has the vet suggested that the eye(s) may need removal?

Back