Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Rabbit Charging Cats

  1. #1
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    116

    Default Rabbit Charging Cats

    Hi All,

    So I have Knox who is a monochromatic (black and white) Dwarf Lop/Lion head mix, he is a house bunny. But does have access to a supervised outside area. We got Knox probably 4 months ago now, rescued from a National Pet Chain store here in the UK. Now he was up for adoption rather than sale due to "aggression issues" so we took him home.

    I also have two indoor Domestic Cats, one (Gable) shows no interest at all and has pretty much stayed off the floor since we have bought Knox home, the issue is with our Female (Blossom). Knox will Charge at her with ears raised and get right up in her face. Obviously the cat does not appreciate this and Knox gets a fair few smacks from Blossom. She then stalks off, this interests Knox and the cycle repeats. NO blood has yet been spilt, she hits him with paws not claws. So far.

    HOWEVER, he does not always charge her. When he approaches slowly they eventually snuggle down together (and Knox does that Flop) and I find them sleeping together all around the house (mainly in one of the cat beds)

    So what exactly is it that Knox is doing when he charges? Is there anything that I can do to settle this behaviour? Is this a form of aggression and that is why he was not for sale?

    Hope someone has an insight.

    Thanks

    Matt

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Above Ground ATM
    Posts
    141,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
    Hi All,

    So I have Knox who is a monochromatic (black and white) Dwarf Lop/Lion head mix, he is a house bunny. But does have access to a supervised outside area. We got Knox probably 4 months ago now, rescued from a National Pet Chain store here in the UK. Now he was up for adoption rather than sale due to "aggression issues" so we took him home.

    I also have two indoor Domestic Cats, one (Gable) shows no interest at all and has pretty much stayed off the floor since we have bought Knox home, the issue is with our Female (Blossom). Knox will Charge at her with ears raised and get right up in her face. Obviously the cat does not appreciate this and Knox gets a fair few smacks from Blossom. She then stalks off, this interests Knox and the cycle repeats. NO blood has yet been spilt, she hits him with paws not claws. So far.

    HOWEVER, he does not always charge her. When he approaches slowly they eventually snuggle down together (and Knox does that Flop) and I find them sleeping together all around the house (mainly in one of the cat beds)

    So what exactly is it that Knox is doing when he charges? Is there anything that I can do to settle this behaviour? Is this a form of aggression and that is why he was not for sale?

    Hope someone has an insight.

    Thanks

    Matt
    Is Knox neutered ?

    Personally I dont think it's a good idea to allow close interaction between a prey species (Rabbit) and a predator (Cat). It seems as though it is only a matter of time before the claws come out. Rabbits do need companionship, that of their own kind.

    Did the Pet store advise you of the importance of getting Knox Vaccinated ( as well as neutered) ?

    Information about vaccinations can be found here :

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

    The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund is also a great source of information regarding Rabbits :

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/


    Reference Links for Various Rabbit Health Problems :

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/fo....php?59-Health

    Dont procrastinate, VACCINATE

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

    IF YOU THINK THAT YOUR RABBIT MAY BE UNWELL ALWAYS CONTACT A VET STRAIGHT AWAY

  3. #3
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Is Knox neutered ?

    Personally I dont think it's a good idea to allow close interaction between a prey species (Rabbit) and a predator (Cat). It seems as though it is only a matter of time before the claws come out. Rabbits do need companionship, that of their own kind.

    Did the Pet store advise you of the importance of getting Knox Vaccinated ( as well as neutered) ?

    Information about vaccinations can be found here :

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60#post7041560

    The Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund is also a great source of information regarding Rabbits :

    https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/
    No he is not Neutered. Long story there. The short version is we got a voucher for free neutering when we collected him, we booked him in when he was approximately 6 months old. Knox does not like to be held, at all. Due to this the vet wouldn't neuter due to the bunny not being "tame" enough. We have since called back and asked to book him back in but the voucher is no longer valid and the costs are 150.00. Not happy as this is one of the better vets for Rabbits in the area.

    All up to date on the vaccinations, same deal as with neutering. Just the vet actually did his job this time (I would love to change vets honestly but there isn't a decent one that specialises in Rabbits and Exotic Pets - hence why i am with him still) I have so many issues with this man and his "Facts" never an opinion

    I do have other pets that Knox goes nowhere near, the cats are probably the lesser evil in my house

  4. #4
    Forum Buddy Liz47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    8,785

    Default

    Welcome to the forum! I used to live in Leeds until recently, and I worked in a vets which accepted the vouchers from the pet store I think you adopted Knox from. I'm shocked the vet wouldn't neuter him due to not being 'tame' enough, I understand nervousness can be made worse in dogs/cats through early neutering but as far as I'm aware this isn't the case for rabbits as they are a prey species and therefore being held is usually very frightening for them. I would contact the vets and request to speak to the manager or politely put in writing that you tried to book Knox in for his neuter but was turned away and now the voucher is invalid, certainly at the branch I worked at we would often honour out of date vouchers if there was a reason out of the owners control for not booking them in time.

    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  5. #5
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Hi Liz, where are you in East Yorkshire now? I was originally born in Portsmouth so the East Yorkshire Coast is one of my favourite spots. Also where I do a lot of collecting for my other pets. (Marine fish)

    I have had a number of arguments with this particular vet. He is Rabbit Friendly but a "specialist" in Exotic Animals and Fish. We have fallen out over my snakes, lizards, Frogs, Fish (fresh, Brackish and Marine) in most cases I prefer to treat myself rather than take any of them to this guy. Basically he wants to put everything down. I have a couple of legal actions against him currently for legal negligence since I have lost a number of healthy animals in his "care".

    I really do need to find someone else. Or try another branch that will accept those vouchers
    I sometimes post my bunny on Instagram (beware a lot of fish pics on this) @keeperofkojin

  6. #6
    Forum Buddy Liz47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    8,785

    Default

    I am near Hull in East Yorkshire at the moment Not sure what area of Leeds you're in, but I can recommend Holly House Vets in Moor Allerton and Abbey House Vets in Morley if those are anywhere near you? For general rabbit savvy knowledge, the voucher of course needs to be one of the chosen vets. Although with Abbey House it does depend of which vet you see, but there is one who holds the silver rabbit friendly award from the rabbit welfare association and fund.

    I'm sorry you're having difficulties with your vet with your exotics.

    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  7. #7
    Warren Scout Ratvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I'm Guiseley. So neither of those are particularly far away.
    My vets for my snakes are in Hartlepool so I don't mind travelling for a decent treatment
    Thank you for those recommendations I think i'll try and speak to either of those and see if i can get him Neutered.
    I sometimes post my bunny on Instagram (beware a lot of fish pics on this) @keeperofkojin

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Havant, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,418

    Default

    Not sure why you were quoted 150 as that seems really high. I had Benjamin neutered last week by a vet at my local Pets at Home and it was seventy pounds something - can't remember exactly what - and I thought that was bad enough!! It did include a pre op and post op check as well as a small bottle of Metacam.

  9. #9
    Moderator Graciee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    Not sure why you were quoted 150 as that seems really high. I had Benjamin neutered last week by a vet at my local Pets at Home and it was seventy pounds something - can't remember exactly what - and I thought that was bad enough!! It did include a pre op and post op check as well as a small bottle of Metacam.
    Pets at home is cheap for neutering though, whether your branch is rabbit savvy is hit and miss too, mine isn't. My vet charges a lot more for neutering and vaccinations tbh in comparison, but obviously I go there because rabbit savvy. I got the free neutering voucher for my two white buns they were in pets at homes adoption centre, but I wanted my vet to do them if your vets4pets is rabbit savvy though, that'd be amazing they're cheaper all round for the same service

    Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Alpha Buck jewaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    kent,wash.usa
    Posts
    591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratvan View Post
    Hi All,

    So I have Knox who is a monochromatic (black and white) Dwarf Lop/Lion head mix, he is a house bunny. But does have access to a supervised outside area. We got Knox probably 4 months ago now, rescued from a National Pet Chain store here in the UK. Now he was up for adoption rather than sale due to "aggression issues" so we took him home.

    I also have two indoor Domestic Cats, one (Gable) shows no interest at all and has pretty much stayed off the floor since we have bought Knox home, the issue is with our Female (Blossom). Knox will Charge at her with ears raised and get right up in her face. Obviously the cat does not appreciate this and Knox gets a fair few smacks from Blossom. She then stalks off, this interests Knox and the cycle repeats. NO blood has yet been spilt, she hits him with paws not claws. So far.

    HOWEVER, he does not always charge her. When he approaches slowly they eventually snuggle down together (and Knox does that Flop) and I find them sleeping together all around the house (mainly in one of the cat beds)

    So what exactly is it that Knox is doing when he charges? Is there anything that I can do to settle this behaviour? Is this a form of aggression and that is why he was not for sale?

    Hope someone has an insight.

    Thanks

    Matt
    dear ratvan.--just for thought,-rabbits have concentric vision,-can see 360*,however there is a blind spot directly between their eyes,and being prey bunz they are very protective of it..what happens when knox is confronted with a mirror.??-the feline will grow tired of his behavior and gracefully move aside,until he calms down--but keep a supervised eye on their behavior,no blood letting..as a thought do your cats enjoy cat nip,-that might calm everyone down..--sincerely james waller from the other kent -usa

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •