Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry rabbit wonít eat hay! 😡

Default Hungry rabbit wonít eat hay! 😡

Hi first post Iím desperate for help.

My rabbit had statis around 3 weeks ago and since then heís been completely off hay, Iíve been trying different types, meadow and Timothy from HayBox and Iím now trying out shop ones but heís just not interested.

I currently feed him critical care and some dual care pellets 3x daily and after work he has an hour or 2 hopping around the garden where he eats lots of grass and dandelions.
    This evening I went to let him out and he was desperate to get out and eat despite having lots of hay in his hutch left untouched.

I saw the vet last week who said they were happy for him to continue on critical care until his appetite returns but he still doesnít want hay.

He also became very skinny when he was unwell so Iím very concerned. Any ideas appreciated.
    Thank you

Wise Old Thumper

Hi and welcome to the forum

Eating fresh grass is just as good as hay, but obviously he hasn't got access to that all day long.

Did the vet establish a cause for the stasis? Did the vet examine his teeth, as dental issues could be the reason for the symptoms you describe? Are his poos of a good size and colour?

Sending lots of vibes for your rabbit.

Hi thank you for replying, the vet did check his front teeth and said they were fine, they didnít check the back ones though, how do they do that?

It was a bit typical that when he went to the vets and I was telling them he wasnít interested in his hay he started eating the hay in his carrier. But itís just a few wisps at a time compared to before the statis when he was a good hay eater.

I think I may have caused the statis by not changing his pellets gradually enough. He was given to me a few months ago eating cheap shop pellets that had no label so I tried to put him onto science selective as I thought it would be more nutritional.

I forgot to mention before that he also has emeprid daily following his statis. I began weaning him off but he immediately became bloated so I put him back on.

He does a variety of poos- normal golden, mostly a bit darker and softer at the moment and sometimes some big ovals.

The vets said there may be an issue causing him to be skinny and he is Charlie marked so I mentioned megacolon to the vets but they said it didnít seem likely.

He does seem well in himself, itís just the weight that Iím concerned about. And the not eating hay.

Wise Old Thumper

I'm glad he seems well in himself. Vets can use an otoscope to look at the back molars, but it's sometimes impossible to see them properly without an anaesthetic. Is he a lop? How old is your rabbit?

I think it's possible that, when changing over pellets, you didn't do it gradually enough. However, I'm somewhat doubtful of this as the issue is continuing in him refusing to eat hay.

There are forum members who have experience of megacolon. Is it possible for you to post a photo of the oval poos?

Have you got a record of how much weight he has lost?

Sorry for all the questions. It's better to provide a lot of details to enable advice to be given.

Lastly, is your vet rabbit savvy?

https://imgur.com/a/mwIlGj0
    Here are some pics of him and his poos.
    Iím not sure how old he is as he was given to me a few months ago as he was unwanted and He was 2.5 kg at that time and is now 2kg and quite bony.
    Iíve been to the vets 6 and or 7 times now with his statis his vaccinations and Neutering and Iíve not seen the same vet twice. Some seem to know more than others. Maybe I need to change vets.
    Last edited by Graciee; 16-10-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Trying to embed picture

Whereabouts are you? I would say you need a visit to a good rabbit savvy vet. If he is still on critical care all this time later, your vet should be running further diagnostics as to what on earth is wrong with the poor little chap. This screams teeth to me. Very often, dental issues are not visible on a conscious examination. I would search with urgency for a good rabbit vet recommendation.

Thank you I think thatís what I need to do then, Iím in Wrexham, north wales. Is there a list of rabbit savvy vets somewhere on this site?

Iíve found a list now on the rabbit welfare site. It says the vets at pets at home are rabbit savvy so Iíll try there next. Thank you for all of your replies.

Wise Old Thumper

There is this list from RWAF:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-c...ndly-vet-list/

You could also create a new thread in Rabbit Chat asking for recommendations from forum members for vets in Wrexham.

Thank you for your help omi letís hope I can find out whatís wrong