• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3rd special needs bun.... am I insane?

Buzzwizz619

Warren Scout
So in May I adopted Charlie 6 1/2 years old from the RSPCA his biography said he had a history of untreated pasturella and as a result would likely have frequent eye infections. I figured a bunny advertised as needing regular veterinary care would hard to place so he came home with me. Had 2 flare ups when I first had him, no issues now since June.

Started looking for a wife for him and see a 7-8 year old male with arthritis, blocked tears ducts, wax balls on his ears etc and on metacam for life, been looking for a home for 4 months.... home with me he came. As well as his on going issues and changes we made to his daily meds he also developed dental issues a few weeks after comming home. This may or may not be a regular occurrence, bonding has not worked out so he now lives in my bedroom.

Now I've seen a female who has malocclusion and is expected to need dentals every 10-12 months making her difficult to rehome. Am I insane to want her?

I know I'm setting myself up for stress and heartbreak because odds are there's only so many dentals she can survive, but I've already set myself up for heartbreak with Bobby anyway.... one more won't hurt right?

I should add I currently have a perfectly healthy female reserved who isn't ready for another few weeks, but my gut says health = easy to rehome. I feel like this girl needs me!

I should also add here that In terms of cost it isn't a issue (not because I'm rich 😂 but because cheap vet care is one of the perks of working there 😂)

The second I saw her I just felt like she's the bunny I'm meant to have even though she's younger than I was looking for 😌

I say if you can afford it then go for it! You're right that a bunny with issues is more likely to get overlooked in the rescue, so she really needs you😉😊

Yes, I would do it. Every 10 months isn’t so bad, I think she could live a long healthy life with the right Carr. Just be repaired as she gets older for it to become more frequent, it could happen or not. One of my dental bunnies is now on 6 weekly dentals but he copes just fine. I have eight special needs buns - you should definitely adopt her :love:

I actually got asked whether I had room for a bunny fitting the description of the one you have seen yesterday, I hope it’s the same one as I always feel sad saying no!

I actually got asked whether I had room for a bunny fitting the description of the one you have seen yesterday, I hope it’s the same one as I always feel sad saying no!

Maybe it was, rabbit rescue north west by any chance?

I messaged them last night, I'm already pre-approved accommodation wise from a date Charlie went on previously. The lady is going to call me tonight to discuss her needs but there's nothing they could say that woild change my mind. My gut is telling me I must have her ��

You are an unsung hero - quietly going about your way, helping and benefitting the needs of rabbits who desperately need the love and support that has been missing from thwir lives. You are a guardian angel who deserves to have some recognition - if only through supoprtive comments here. I respect and admire you and you are anything but insane - you are enriching and giving more to the lives of rabbits in your cars. :love:

I think you're doing a wonderful thing by offering this little one the lovely home she deserves and sadly may not otherwise have got.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Maybe it was, rabbit rescue north west by any chance?

I messaged them last night, I'm already pre-approved accommodation wise from a date Charlie went on previously. The lady is going to call me tonight to discuss her needs but there's nothing they could say that woild change my mind. My gut is telling me I must have her ��

Yes, same bun :) 14 bunnies here at the moment so no room at the inn :)

So in May I adopted Charlie 6 1/2 years old from the RSPCA his biography said he had a history of untreated pasturella and as a result would likely have frequent eye infections. I figured a bunny advertised as needing regular veterinary care would hard to place so he came home with me. Had 2 flare ups when I first had him, no issues now since June.

Started looking for a wife for him and see a 7-8 year old male with arthritis, blocked tears ducts, wax balls on his ears etc and on metacam for life, been looking for a home for 4 months.... home with me he came. As well as his on going issues and changes we made to his daily meds he also developed dental issues a few weeks after comming home. This may or may not be a regular occurrence, bonding has not worked out so he now lives in my bedroom.

Now I've seen a female who has malocclusion and is expected to need dentals every 10-12 months making her difficult to rehome. Am I insane to want her?

I know I'm setting myself up for stress and heartbreak because odds are there's only so many dentals she can survive, but I've already set myself up for heartbreak with Bobby anyway.... one more won't hurt right?

I should add I currently have a perfectly healthy female reserved who isn't ready for another few weeks, but my gut says health = easy to rehome. I feel like this girl needs me!

I should also add here that In terms of cost it isn't a issue (not because I'm rich 😂 but because cheap vet care is one of the perks of working there 😂)

The second I saw her I just felt like she's the bunny I'm meant to have even though she's younger than I was looking for 😌
dear buzzwizz619,-no,you-are not crazy,-but there is a fine line,-like when you run out of money.-I live for my critters,and I live in a shack.-not everyones cup of tea.--sincerely james waller from the oother kent-usa

Charlie is off to meet his future wife on Saturday the 26th, poor Charlie has been unlucky in love so far so fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

Exciting. Doughnut has had 6 dentals just this year, if you have a great vets, like you do, then things are much easier. Keep us posted

dental problems

Exciting. Doughnut has had 6 dentals just this year, if you have a great vets, like you do, then things are much easier. Keep us posted
dear cpayne,-[6] dentals-wow,what does doughnut eat.?--do you prepare special grass foods,to maintain a high fiber diet..??-dentistry for rabbits has come along way,[radiogragh,anaesthesia[gas],post care rx]-there was a time the teeth were trimmed with snipers,teeth splintered -went abscess and the patient died.--there was also a time when rabbits were considered rodents,not good-outcome.--but they are classified as lagamorphs-:love::wave:-much better..-as I read your post again,-I,m thinking you-are saying checkups-yes,?--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

Last edited:
Charlie is off to meet his future wife on Saturday the 26th, poor Charlie has been unlucky in love so far so fingers crossed for 3rd time lucky!

I hope Charlie's days as a bachelor will come to an end when he meets his future wife. Sending vibes for love at first sight.

Charlie is now at bunny bonding 😃 when I left she was already grooming him so if they are ok for the next 24 hours they will come home tomorrow so.i can continue the bonding (they would normally stay until Tuesday but it's a 3 hour round trip and I don't finish work until 7) so as long as there's no obvious personality issues they will be home 😃

Back