• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Rosie, advice needed

benjiboom

Warren Scout
Well, we are 6 months in, and Rosie is settled well, but she won't join us in the living room like Benji used to, in fact she wont leave the conservatory at all! She loves going outside, and binkies loads, and runs around the garden at full speed, so seems very happy in that way, we have the run around every night because she doesnt want to come back in lol. What's worrying me is that she goes back under the table and prefers to be alone, she can't be bonded because she had terrible reactions to other buns when tried at the rescue, before we got her, and the rescue said she needed a home where she could do her own thing.
I have been sitting with her, and if I give her a treat she comes out and then puts her paws on my knee to get another treat. She doesn't really like being stroked much, and Katie from the rescue said that we will never know what she has been through.*
I don't have much interaction with her because she seems to prefer it that way but it upsets me, and I worry she is lonely, although she cant be binded and she doesn't really want any interaction 😥. Am I doing the right thing in letting her be? Any replies or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Well, we are 6 months in, and Rosie is settled well, but she won't join us in the living room like Benji used to, in fact she wont leave the conservatory at all! She loves going outside, and binkies loads, and runs around the garden at full speed, so seems very happy in that way, we have the run around every night because she doesnt want to come back in lol. What's worrying me is that she goes back under the table and prefers to be alone, she can't be bonded because she had terrible reactions to other buns when tried at the rescue, before we got her, and the rescue said she needed a home where she could do her own thing.
I have been sitting with her, and if I give her a treat she comes out and then puts her paws on my knee to get another treat. She doesn't really like being stroked much, and Katie from the rescue said that we will never know what she has been through.*
I don't have much interaction with her because she seems to prefer it that way but it upsets me, and I worry she is lonely, although she cant be binded and she doesn't really want any interaction ��. Am I doing the right thing in letting her be? Any replies or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

I replied on your other thread :)

What flooring is there in the rooms she wont go into ? Many Bunnies refuse to hope on lino/wood floors so putting rugs down can help :)

Is her eyesight OK ?

Hi Jane, her eyesight is fine. The floor in conservatory is tiles and the rest of downstairs is wooden floors, but she was fine on the wooden floors when she first came here, but seems happier being left alone, which I don't like😥

Hi Jane, her eyesight is fine. The floor in conservatory is tiles and the rest of downstairs is wooden floors, but she was fine on the wooden floors when she first came here, but seems happier being left alone, which I don't like��

Try putting a few rugs down. Just some cheap carpet off cuts would do, or any rugs you may be able to pick up from a Charity Shop.

Putting some empty cereal boxes on the floor may encourage her to come out from hiding and investigate.

Has she been examined by a Vet in recent weeks ? Could it be that she has some arthritic pain ?

She's only young, about 18 months old, and she has had at least 1 litter, when she came into the rescue she was pregnant, and 3 days later she had the kits, but it must have been during the night, and when Katie from the rescue went in to see her she had attacked all the babies and none survived!😥
She must have been extremely stressed, we dont know what she has been through before coming into the rescue.
I don't think it is that she won't walk on the floors, she boxes me when I go to stroke her and she growls too, so I have to tread very carefully with her. The rescue said she needed a home where she could be a single house bunny and do her own thing, which us what she seems to like doing . I have put tunnels out and toys, she chews cardboard though so I dont give her that ! But she does love chewing willow sticks.

She's only young, about 18 months old, and she has had at least 1 litter, when she came into the rescue she was pregnant, and 3 days later she had the kits, but it must have been during the night, and when Katie from the rescue went in to see her she had attacked all the babies and none survived!��
She must have been extremely stressed, we dont know what she has been through before coming into the rescue.
I don't think it is that she won't walk on the floors, she boxes me when I go to stroke her and she growls too, so I have to tread very carefully with her. The rescue said she needed a home where she could be a single house bunny and do her own thing, which us what she seems to like doing . I have put tunnels out and toys, she chews cardboard though so I dont give her that ! But she does love chewing willow sticks.

I am assuming she is now spayed ?

I think I feel bad because I dont have the interaction with her that I had with Benji, but it's not for want of me trying, but she just doesn't want it 🙁

I think I feel bad because I dont have the interaction with her that I had with Benji, but it's not for want of me trying, but she just doesn't want it ��

Give her time. She has obviously had a rough start and letting her be 'aloof' if that is what she chooses may give her a chance to realise that nothing nasty is going to happen to her now and as time goes by she may become more sociable. She may not though, she may just be the type of Bunny who wants to do their own thing. Perhaps next year you could try again with finding a friend for her. If you are in a position to take on another Rabbit. If the failed bonds took place soon after her spay it is probably because she was still very hormonal and recovering from all the stress of raising a litter, having major surgery (spay) etc.

Good advice Jane, the rescue said they had rejected a few people who had wanted to take her in, but they couldn't let them take her because they intended on bonding her with another bun, they stressed never to try bonding her, when she came into the rescue she was with a male, and her owners had said it was a female in with her! We think she has been through an awful lot!
On the plus side, I have been sitting with a few treats, and she has put her paws on my knees and let me stroke her whilst she was eating them, and then this morning I knelt down without any treats and she let me stroke her without attacking me!! Tiny steps! X

Ah sounds like you are doing all the right things. What about lying down on the floor and putting a treat on your back or somewhere so that maybe she will jump up on to you. Just trying to think of how you can get more interaction.

If she likes tunnels you could put treats in them and call her through and have a treat at the end for her.

I would also try rugs and maybe do a little trail of treats leading into the living room, not too far in but just to get her used to going in there.

It's funny you should say that about a trail into living room, I was thinking about doing that earlier ! X

Well good luck, I would only go in a little bit at first, hopefully it works. Food and being nosy is something you can work to your advantage :)

Back