• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leaky eyes - conjunctivitis? - UPDATE

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi guys :wave:

I have Bluebell booked in at the vets this Thursday morning with suspected conjunctivitis. She's never had eye issues before but they've been weeping since Saturday. Sticky residue under her eyes too. Eyes look clean and not irritated or red.

I've read that conjunctivitis is common in rabbits and often there's no cause but it could be dental related so need to get her checked over either way.

She's eating fine albeit seems a little quieter than usual.

If it is conjunctivitis - would the vets normally prescribe drops or something to clear it?

Thanks
Laura :)

Last edited:
Yes you would get drops but her teeth would need to be looked at too. I've never experienced eye issues only when Doughnut had myxi she had running eyes but not sticky underneath, so I'm certainly not suggesting she had that :).

Yes you would get drops but her teeth would need to be looked at too. I've never experienced eye issues only when Doughnut had myxi she had running eyes but not sticky underneath, so I'm certainly not suggesting she had that :).

Yes I've had a dental issue before with Bramble and she had a leaky eye as a result. Funny isn't it how it can have a knock on effect. I'm not too concerned re: myxi as they've up-to-date on vaccinations. I'm pretty sure it's conjunctivitis. Not looking forward to applying drops!

No I wouldn't be either! At the moment I'm giving her bum baths and then drying her with the hair dryer and applying barrier cream as she's wet due to arthritis. It's amazing what you learn to do. I used to be useless at syringe feeding but when you have to do it for 2 weeks it isn't too bad. Catching her to do it was the most difficult thing as she knew it was coming, now I have to catch her to give her her meds as she doesn't like the ones she's on. She used to come over and take her meds nicely but sadly not any more. I'm sure you'll be an expert after a few days.

Doughnut has always been vaccined, she's an indoor rabbit so was just unlucky to catch it. I certainly don't think it's myxi, I was just saying that is my only experience of a leaky eye, plus lots of other symptoms.

No I wouldn't be either! At the moment I'm giving her bum baths and then drying her with the hair dryer and applying barrier cream as she's wet due to arthritis. It's amazing what you learn to do. I used to be useless at syringe feeding but when you have to do it for 2 weeks it isn't too bad. Catching her to do it was the most difficult thing as she knew it was coming, now I have to catch her to give her her meds as she doesn't like the ones she's on. She used to come over and take her meds nicely but sadly not any more. I'm sure you'll be an expert after a few days.

Doughnut has always been vaccined, she's an indoor rabbit so was just unlucky to catch it. I certainly don't think it's myxi, I was just saying that is my only experience of a leaky eye, plus lots of other symptoms.

I'm really sorry to hear Doughnut is poorly :(

You're right - they quickly learn what you're coming to them for and they know to run away! Mine are always the same. When I'm going to feed them they come to me (even if I don't have the food on me at that moment) but if I'm going to pick them up to check their back end or remove some stray fur - they run for the hills!

Can you not get her to the Vets sooner if it is Conjunctivitis. I hope she will soon be better.

Unfortunately not :( I am calling in a morning though for cancellation appointments as that sometimes happens

UPDATE

So this morning, I found out I have four leaky eyes instead of two! Bramble has now started with it. Called the vets and explained I can't take the risk of waiting until Thursday evening for the appointment. Blue is less of a risk, she's a bit hardier, but whenever Bramble gets ill it doesn't take much for her to stop eating :( They were eating this morning (gobbled up some banana) so I've managed to get an appointment this evening at a different branch of vets.

Fingers crossed it's only conjunctivitis and they can give us some drops to sort it out.

Back