• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House two rabbits in garage?

Kingbroady

New Kit
I've read conflicting views on housing rabbits in a garage. I would rather house them in a 10x6 foot area of a concrete garage to ensure they are safe from predators and the harsh weather. However, I have several concerns.

The garage has no natural light so would a full spectrum light in there on a timer be sufficient?

9mm plywood for the floor to insulate and some kind of mesh fencing to cordon the area off.

The garage isn't used for any vehicles.

Your experience and knowledge would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I think rabbits do need natural light for a handful of reasons.

Rabbits are crepuscular, which means they are most active at dawn and dusk (twilight) times, so I think the transition from light to dark is important for their well-being. A light on a timer wouldn't provide the transition of light to dark that rabbit instinctively prefer, so I worry it would be bad for their mental health.

Rabbits also need vitamin D, which comes from sunlight, so again keeping them indoors all the time would be detrimental for their health.

I think a garage could work if you can have a window fitted, or if they are only in there overnight and get access to a garden during the day time.

Not sure if your garage is at the front or back but if it's at the back could you make a little hole, not big enough for a fox to get through, but so you can add a run directly on to it outside, so they can go in and out of the garage into a secure run in the garden? That way they will be getting light and vitamin D. Otherwise I would take them outside during the day as suggested and indoors at night or early evening before the majority of foxes come out. Although I know they come out during the day time now as well!

Not sure if your garage is at the front or back but if it's at the back could you make a little hole, not big enough for a fox to get through, but so you can add a run directly on to it outside, so they can go in and out of the garage into a secure run in the garden? That way they will be getting light and vitamin D. Otherwise I would take them outside during the day as suggested and indoors at night or early evening before the majority of foxes come out. Although I know they come out during the day time now as well!

Tunnel/cat flap would be a good idea, but be sure to support the brickwork above the opening (e.g. by reinforcing the opening with a steel tube or frame), to avoid bricks breaking off and falling on top of anybun passing through.

Thank you all. I've considered the full spectrum bulbs and the vivarium bulbs which emit UVB for vitamin D generation. That and the the use of a dehumidifier to avoid damp conditions.

However, your points make sense so I think I will stick with outside.

Thanks again.

Back