• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

In and out of stasis

I think she understood the choices were critical care or eat on her own. The sight of me coming in with the critical care syringe was all it took for her to start eating fenugreek crunchies, herbs, hay cookie, protexin, fibafirst and dried forage - whatever was in front of her at the time.

How long should painkiller take to work? Seems like it's about 6 hours after I dose every time that she starts demolishing all the food.

I think she understood the choices were critical care or eat on her own. The sight of me coming in with the critical care syringe was all it took for her to start eating fenugreek crunchies, herbs, hay cookie, protexin, fibafirst and dried forage - whatever was in front of her at the time.

How long should painkiller take to work?
Seems like it's about 6 hours after I dose every time that she starts demolishing all the food.

If given orally usually about an hour. I know I keep harping on about it, but what is her output like now ? Also is she on Ranitidine (Zantac) ?

She's at an all-time low on input and output. Still plenty of wee though.
She's on ranitidine 3x daily.

She's at an all-time low on input and output. Still plenty of wee though.
She's on ranitidine 3x daily.

Sometimes Cisapride can be added to the prokinetic protocol- see pages 4/5 on here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Cisapride.htm

But I think that even though soft tissue damage in her mouth is not evident on a conscious examination to obtain a 100% of the Rabbit's oral cavity a GA is needed. There may well be some significant Dental issues going on

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

I would make sure supportive fluid therapy is given during/after the procedure and that she is not discharged until she has some input and output. Also, I'd ask for 12 hourly doses of Metacam, all Rabbit Savvy Vets opt for this now. You could print out a previous link I posted

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

Thank you Jane. I'm going to open up the office early and print out all the relevant bits.

Eta: would giving her a banana so she's got more food going through her be a good idea or bad because of all the sugar? I added a little mashed banana to her critical care (made up with apple and pear tea) and she ate quite a bit of it before giving up. I suspect she'd eat a nice soft fragrant banana.

Last edited:
Do you think it's worth asking them to take x rays while she's under to rule out any further issues with the digestive system and her tooth roots? Or is that a waste of time?

She's in. They're going to syringe feed her for a couple of hours first because she's so gassy.
The vet today turned out to be much more knowledgeable and confident than I expected.

He did recommend another vet further away who can provide more in depth after care but they couldn't see her until tomorrow and I don't want to wait at the rate she's going downhill. He also said we could try some morphine today and hope that she perks up but again, I don't think I want to wait. I do have a couple of hours to change my mind though.

Last edited:
She's in. They're going to syringe feed her for a couple of hours first because she's so gassy.
The vet today turned out to be much more knowledgeable and confident than I expected.

He did recommend another vet further away who can provide more in depth after care but they couldn't see her until tomorrow and I don't want to wait at the rate she's going downhill. He also said we could try some morphine today and hope that she perks up but again, I don't think I want to wait. I do have a couple of hours to change my mind though.

I would go ahead with the Dental. Any opiate (ie Morphine) will slow her guts down, zonk her out and really not address the primary problem. My advice would be that she receives good supportive fluid therapy (iv). Xrays may be useful to diagnose issues with tooth roots/abdominal masses. I would want a full blood profile run to assess kidney/liver function. All that said my gut feeling is that the primary problem is Dental related.

Sending lots of vibes for her x

She's awake and taken some critical care much easier than she was taking it before the anasthetic. He said 3pm would be the ideal time to pick her up because of the timing of medications and stuff.

He also said her teeth were in a hell of a state and her tongue is ulcerated. He said he would like to have taken the teeth back a bit more but he didn't want to cause problems with the tooth root so he's done as much as he can and hopefully that sorts it out.

I am definitely going to raise a complaint about my previous two appointments.

But on the upside I've found a vet who I am quite happy with.

Sending lots of vibes for her recovery. Frosty had bad ulcers on his tongue when he had a dental once, which weren’t visible when he was concious. He needed a lot of aftercare to keep him eating, and he was on twice daily metacam and gut meds for about a week or so after.

She's home. She hopped straight out of her carrier looking really bright and alert, ran across the floor in to her litter tray and basically flopped straight in to a sleep. I'll wake her to syringe feed in an hour or so or offer it if she gets up and about on her own.

She's awake and has moved around a little bit still pretty out of it and did not like it at all when I went near her. Going to give her a bit more time before I stress her with a force feeding I think.

She's awake and has moved around a little bit still pretty out of it and did not like it at all when I went near her. Going to give her a bit more time before I stress her with a force feeding I think.

I would leave it for at least a couple of hours as if she is still very drowsy she will be at higher risk of aspirating a syringe feed. Has she got a heat pad ? That can be beneficial during the post GA recovery period as the GA will have caused her BP to drop and so she may not be able to regulate her body temperature. Did she have fluid therapy after the GA ?

She's got a snuggle safe which is near her but she's not on it. I've also made the room generally pretty warm - can it be too warm?

She's had about a syringe and a half of critical care made up with the fruit tea and a little mashed banana - if I do it thqt way and keep it warm she licks it from the syringe willingly. She also keeps biting pieces of hay in half but she's not actually eating any.

I've given her a gentle belly rub which she didn't seem to resist. Think I'll leave her now and keep an eye on the webcam and just try offering her food every hour or so.

She did have an IV and she's had maybe 20ml of apple and pear tea via syringe since she got home.

I've got some apple and banana flavoured critical care coming tomorrow. Hopefully she likes that more than the plain stuff the vet had.

Last edited:
Ah pleased you've got a good vet now and the dental went well. Lots of vibes she's running around tomorrow

How have things been overnight ? I hope that she has started to nibble some food for herself and has done some poo, even if only a tiny amount xx

Hoping your girl has had a good night, and is managing to eat a bit more on her own, topping up vibes for her xx

Back