• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

In and out of stasis

She stopped eating again last night and has only eaten a sprig of parsley this morning. She seems very withdrawn and depressed.
She's on maximum doses of metacam, tramadol, emeprid and ranitidine.

I'm going to try and give her some critical care and the fence arrives today so I'm hoping being close to obi will help her feel better but I think we have reached the end of the road for her.

She stopped eating again last night and has only eaten a sprig of parsley this morning. She seems very withdrawn and depressed.
She's on maximum doses of metacam, tramadol, emeprid and ranitidine.

I'm going to try and give her some critical care and the fence arrives today so I'm hoping being close to obi will help her feel better but I think we have reached the end of the road for her.

On no, I am sorry :cry: I really hope this is a temporary blip and that she will perk up again xx

:cry: I’m so sorry, I really hope she will perk up soon. Sending lots more vibes and hugs xx

The fence arrived. It's lovely and apart from being chewed within 2 minutes is doing a great job. Unfortunately lola has no interest in moving at all. She's just sat in the corner of my room facing the wall.

I've put lola over by the fence with obi. She seems the most engaged that she's been all day and she can leave and go to any other room if she likes but she's choosing to stay.
Hopefully even if we have to say goodbye to her tomorrow it will have made her evening better to be near him and feel less alone.

Other than that no improvement. Before we put her by the fence she looked like she was just waiting to die.

I am so glad I didn't take her in to be put to sleep yesterday. She's like a new rabbit this morning.
About 3am she started using my face as a platform to jump on and off the bed and she's been thundering up and down the landing this morning.

I am truly in disbelief. It was about 30 hours of her looking completely withdrawn and dispondant despite medication. I didn't understand how she could then just flip a switch and be good again. Not just a bit of improvement but back to her happy bouncy self.

Thank you all for your support. It was so lovely to wake up to your messages. :love:

I am so glad I didn't take her in to be put to sleep yesterday. She's like a new rabbit this morning.
About 3am she started using my face as a platform to jump on and off the bed and she's been thundering up and down the landing this morning.

I am truly in disbelief. It was about 30 hours of her looking completely withdrawn and dispondant despite medication. I didn't understand how she could then just flip a switch and be good again. Not just a bit of improvement but back to her happy bouncy self.

Thank you all for your support. It was so lovely to wake up to your messages. :love:

What dose of Tramadol is she on ? It may be that her dose needs titrating DOWN now ? Has she had her Liver function checked recently. A compromised liver function will affect how well the Rabbit copes with high doses of Tramadol. I am so pleased that she is doing a lot better this morning xx

She has one tramadol twice a day but I'm not sure what dose that is.
I'll try giving her half the dose this evening now she's got the metacam back. Before when I tried lowering it she went off her food again but she has alternate pain relief now.

They rechecked her kidney I think but not her liver. I'll phone and ask about that. I know in the first tests which would be about a month back maybe that her liver was fine.

I'm so glad I got this fence sorted. I've been tuning in on webcam and Lola has spent quite a bit of time in there this morning and Obi has been binkying all over the place. I think they're both glad to have each other :love:

She's being a bit picky with food but still nibbling consistently.

Last edited:
She spent almost the entire day in with Obi yesterday and I'm certain that him chomping away is encouraging her to eat and generally lifting her mood.
A few times I tuned in to webcam and saw her sat in her tray eating hay and him sat in his own tray on the other side reaching through the bars to share hers.:love:

I've halved her tramadol this morning but keeping a close eye to see how she does.

Lola has been doing really well the last couple of weeks. She'll run down the hallway grunting when she sees me near the food and she's eating hay round the clock.
I think her back is worse than it was because she doesn't come on the bed any more, but generally her pain seems well managed and she appears happy and bouncy.

I don't know that we'll ever get her back in with Obi but they both seem very happy lying together by the fence I bought and I've started feeding them together which neither of them seem to mind.

Back