• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

In and out of stasis

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Lola went in to stasis on Thursday night and with some help started eating and producing poops again early Friday Morning.
Over the course of Friday she got gradually worse and completely stopped eating and pooping again. Off we went to the vet.
Friday evening she had been eating hay on and off but nothing else. I took her in to my bedroom without her partner overnight. Overnight she demolished a tonne of herbs, some pellets, fenugreek crunchies, protexin, fibafirst and hay. Lots of lots of poop was produced.
This morning I put her back in the main room with her partner and she was eating hay but refusing anything else. The first time I checked there were new poops in the litterbox. The second time I checked on her there were no new poops and I don't think she'd eaten any hay so I put her back in my room with lots of tasty things and a fresh litterbox to monitor output.
She's since eaten about four dandelion leaves but nothing else.

The whole time she's still seemed pretty bright and mobile.
At the moment she's on painkillers, ranitidine and gut stimulant. She's also had about 10ml of recovery food today.

Does anyone have any idea why she might be seeming to recover and then getting worse?

apologies for this being a bit rushed, I'm at work and they're already being so good letting me go home all the time!

Lola went in to stasis on Thursday night and with some help started eating and producing poops again early Friday Morning.
Over the course of Friday she got gradually worse and completely stopped eating and pooping again. Off we went to the vet.
Friday evening she had been eating hay on and off but nothing else. I took her in to my bedroom without her partner overnight. Overnight she demolished a tonne of herbs, some pellets, fenugreek crunchies, protexin, fibafirst and hay. Lots of lots of poop was produced.
This morning I put her back in the main room with her partner and she was eating hay but refusing anything else. The first time I checked there were new poops in the litterbox. The second time I checked on her there were no new poops and I don't think she'd eaten any hay so I put her back in my room with lots of tasty things and a fresh litterbox to monitor output.
She's since eaten about four dandelion leaves but nothing else.

The whole time she's still seemed pretty bright and mobile.
At the moment she's on painkillers, ranitidine and gut stimulant. She's also had about 10ml of recovery food today.

Does anyone have any idea why she might be seeming to recover and then getting worse?

apologies for this being a bit rushed, I'm at work and they're already being so good letting me go home all the time!

Is the bond between her and her partner 'stable' ie is she being bullied by him ?

Is her water intake and urine output normal ?

Did the Vet check her teeth and ears ?

I think they're pretty well bonded at this point. Certainly she seemed very keen to get back in with him both times that they'd been split and whenever I went in to check on her they were snuggled up together. Even during bonding we never had any fighting or chasing.

As far as I can tell water intake is normal. I've been syringing her some water to be on the safe side. She's still weeing but I couldn't say I know what a normal amount of wee is for her, it's always at the bottom under a tonne of hay.

He checked her ears. Said she didn't feel bloated and didn't seem to be deydrated or have any sort of blockage, just that she was empty. He felt her teeth but didn't use an ottoscope. To be honest he wasn't the best vet to be seeing a rabbit but it was the only appointment they had.

Also a further oddity, she won't eat if she thinks I'm watching. I tried tempting her with some grass and dandelion just now and she wasn't having any of it. Went outside to get some bramble leaves and when I came back up she was nibbling the grass (but pretended she wasn't)
Last night she was happily eat hay unless she thought I was watching too.

Another aside : they don't eat their main meals together. He goes up on a table and she has hers on the floor so there's never any competition over food.

Last edited:
After an entire day of barely touching anything she's now happily munched her way through a a bag of coriander, several raspberry leaves, some mint, some hay and (I believe, hard to tell on webcam night mode) some protexin pellets. Going to get her back to normal eating before I try putting her back in with obi.

After an entire day of barely touching anything she's now happily munched her way through a a bag of coriander, several raspberry leaves, some mint, some hay and (I believe, hard to tell on webcam night mode) some protexin pellets. Going to get her back to normal eating before I try putting her back in with obi.

Well I am glad that she seems to be eating again. What is her poo output like ?

Quite a bit this morning. All over the room including under the duvet with me somehow! And she did two huge wees in the night, both on my bed. :roll: Just pleased she's on an up though!

Glad she seems a lot better this morning, sorry had to smile at the wees on bed :? maybe she's had a bit of gas that made her uncomfortable ? hope she stays well x

She's back to refusing all foods. She had two dandelion leaves when I wasn't watching and that's the lot.

She had a few minutes earlier after I syringe fed her where she wanted to eat but is now back to nothing. We haven't had any poops all day. She hates the syringe feeding so I've only managed to give her about 4ml today.

Back to the vet tomorrow.

I mixed the recovery food with strong warm fruit tea and she is eating it with gusto out of the syringe. I don't know if she's just happier to take it from my partner (who's feeding her this time) or if it smells and tastes nicer but it feels like some sort of miracle

Yes I'm definitely off to the vet tomorrow. I'm so annoyed at myself for not insisting he check her teeth on Friday.
She's still on pain relief. I wonder if she's eating overnight but not in the day due to the pain relief cycle.

I'm a mess.

Your theory about pain cycle makes sense to me. Lots of vibes for Lola - I hope the vets can help

I called the emergency vet but the one on call is the same that saw her on Thursday and was generally clueless so it has to wait until tomorrow. She's also left some cecals but at least there's a few normal poops so something is being eaten and going through, just not a lot.

I'd about given up on her eating this evening and came in to syringe feed her but she has started eating on her own. Hopefully she's back on form for tonight.

Eta: eating on her own lasted about five minutes and she won't eat the recovery food. She just lets it drip out of her mouth.

Last edited:
I called the emergency vet but the one on call is the same that saw her on Thursday and was generally clueless so it has to wait until tomorrow. She's also left some cecals but at least there's a few normal poops so something is being eaten and going through, just not a lot.

I'd about given up on her eating this evening and came in to syringe feed her but she has started eating on her own. Hopefully she's back on form for tonight.

Eta: eating on her own lasted about five minutes and she won't eat the recovery food. She just lets it drip out of her mouth.

If she is having Metacam in 24 hour doses then it is unlikely she is getting 24 hour pain control

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16521861

This morning I would be insistent on the Vet 1- checking her teeth,2- doing a blood glucose test (a significantly raised blood glucose is indicative of a GI tract impaction/obstruction), 3 taking her temperature, 4 checking her ears (again) 5- palpating her bladder (for signs of tenderness/sludge etc), 6- ask if her cecum feels impacted and/or if there is any bloating- does the stomach feel full but the intestines empty ? 6- check her spine and hips for any signs of pain (arthritis)

Hopefully she was weighed at the last consult, so I'd want her weighed again too to see if she is losing weight rapidly.

Discuss the benefits of running a full blood profile

Is Lola spayed and fully vaccinated (Nobivac Myxo-RHD AND either Filavac or Eravac ) ??

Hope you are seeing the more Rabbit Savvy Vet and sending lots more vibes

Back