• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

In and out of stasis

Lola has been doing really well the last couple of weeks. She'll run down the hallway grunting when she sees me near the food and she's eating hay round the clock.
I think her back is worse than it was because she doesn't come on the bed any more, but generally her pain seems well managed and she appears happy and bouncy.

I don't know that we'll ever get her back in with Obi but they both seem very happy lying together by the fence I bought and I've started feeding them together which neither of them seem to mind.

I am pleased to hear that Lola has been doing well. It sounds as though both Bunnies are content with their set up for now xx

She wasn't eating when I woke up yesterday morning. I gave her her usual meds plus some gut stuff, tramadol and critical care and pretty much expected her to be alright this morning (that's her pattern when she does go off her food).
This morning she still wasn't right but did eat a little pile of grass, a few raspberry leaves, etc so I gave her the usual meds plus the gut stuff and tramadol and thought when I went home for lunch she'd have perked right up.

On lunch she was in a very odd pose and seemed pretty down. I picked her up to feel her stomach and when I put her back down she was kind of swaying from side to side and didn't try to walk at all.
She did later move from the bedroom to the living room and her movement seemed a lot better but she obviously didn't want to be moving and was struggling with it.

I noticed some poos on the bed (which she hasn't been on recently, I think her back has been too bad). I wonder if it's possible she's hurt herself jumping down.

I've got her booked in to be put to sleep tomorrow if she hasn't improved any but I'm thinking either a) it's not going to get better so I should take her in tonight or b) she hurt herself getting off the bed and may feel better in a few days.

What do you guys think? I'm really struggling today. She's been so good recently I've just bought a 6 month supply of metacam and on Monday night I was talking to OH about getting a pet sitter in for her when we go away in June. Now I don't know if I should make her live the rest of the day.

She's perkier, back to eating and moving a bit but its clearly not easy/comfortable for her.
She has the spondylosis all the way along her spine but the area causing her pain seems to have been above her hips. I'm increasingly concerned she might have hurt herself jumping off the bed and I might be jumping the gun having her put down.

Lola is booked in to the vet on Monday. She's losing weight and she's not been terribly happy the last week or two.
This morning I was certain she was dying so I decided to be late for work and wait with her while she went. She was lying on the landing and declined a fenugreek crunchie. I went to give her head rubs she sort of flopped in to the wall like she didn't have the strength to be upright any more. Her nose slowly stopped moving, her eyes were very squinty and her breathing was very shallow. I started crying but I was happy she was going on her own terms. I stayed there for about fifteen minutes with her (so sure she was dead at one point I had to feel her belly for signs of breath) and then she hopped up bright and alert and dove in to a pile of mint. :roll:

I’m sorry she is struggling :cry: I’m sure you will do what’s best for her, as always. Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

well it seems all I have to do is book an appointment at which I think we might have her put to sleep for her to perk right up.

She was in a great mood yesterday and really perky this morning too. I left her for another dental and two hours later when I picked her up she was happily chomping mint in her carrier. :love:

She ate half a box of chocolate fingers on Tuesday so that's likely been why she was a bit down (after an initial sugar high day of her running about and jumping like a lunatic) and also possibly why she'd lost some weight. She seems to be doing much better now though.

I’m so glad she has rallied again. She’s certainly a fighter! Topping up the vibes xx

I'm so sorry to read your update [emoji17] You fought so hard for Lola and she was such a tough little bunny to have kept bouncing back so often.

Sleep tight Lola xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back