• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need help with my rabbits.

Nina Pas

New Kit
I have 3 rabbits. They are currently all separate (2 outdoor, 1 indoor) and I am really struggling to keep up with them. We have an area that they are kept in but it just gets hideously muddy. I am on the verge of rehoming them which I desperately do not want to do. I need some tips on keeping up with cleaning them out and bonding them (2 are castrated, 1 is being castrated in 2 days from when I am posting this). Can anybody help me? What should I do?

Hi there, sorry to hear it’s a struggle, it’s easier once you get the setup that works for you and you should be able to find lots of information and advice on here.
For the outdoor can you lay some paving slabs down on top of the mud for now? There could be some on Freecycle or Ebay.
If you are able to describe your setup we can think of tips or there should be some threads in housing section to browse as well.

For me the best one has been having a large litter tray lined with newspaper and then have hay on top, they like to sit in there eating the hay and going to the toilet at the same time, which keeps mess to a minimum and makes replacing it easy too :) They have these indoors or out (within the hutch)

I had paving slabs put down over most of my garden as it just turned to mud at this time of the year. A pair of Wellies comes in handy and a good raincoat. I am just having a break from doing my rabbits. I have about 40 mostly in pairs so quite a lot of work. The litter trays get cleaned out every day and fresh hay put in on top of newspaper.. You have to introduce rabbits in an area they are not familiar with, but wait for about 2 months post neuter. All mine are in male/female pairs, except for 2 boys. Good luck with them.

Hi, thanks for your tips. I have 1 two story hutch with an attached run on some slabs for one of my rabbits. The other has a 1 story hutch with a long run attached also on slabs. They have a very large hutch ready to be set up for them once they are all ready to be in together. At this current time we are hatching up a plan to renovate our old unused fenced off alotment area for them all to live in. Do you think them on slabs is going to be okay? I want to put a small roll of turf in for them to dig in. The area they will be living in (all three hopefully) is approximately 3m x 4m with a netted roof tall enough for me to stand in with a good foot or two above me. What are the best ways to bond them? Is it going to be more difficult with 3 rabbits? And what natural toys (as cheap and accessible as possible) are there to decorate their outdoor area? Thanks x

Lots of people have their hutches/runs on slabs as it means the bunnies can't dig out or predators dig in. What sex are your rabbits and are they neutered?

Slabs is fine I think, mine are on a concrete base and I’ve got a hide house with another hay tray, tunnels, different paving slabs and a large rubber mat in there, as well as a large wooden log, a terracotta pot with loose soil in for digging (which they don’t use, haha) Then more recently I’ve slowly added runaround tunnels and doors to a smaller grass run which gets moved around then blocked off at nights. I did have turf in a grow bag tray but it didn’t last long, but they still liked it. I had a section on top of the hide house too. Some people renovate small hutches into hide houses.
Making toys with cardboard tubes stuffed with hay is nice for them.

If you can make a solid roof, (weld mesh or corrugated sheets with a slightly uneven height for rain to run off) it’ll give better protection from predators and since you are making it nice and tall could be protection for you in all weathers ;) It certainly sounds like you are getting it all ready and it’s going to be great :)

I haven’t bonded rabbits so I don’t know the best approach but there should be lots of information in the forum sections.

What are the best ways to bond them? Is it going to be more difficult with 3 rabbits? And what natural toys (as cheap and accessible as possible) are there to decorate their outdoor area? Thanks x

If you go onto YouTube and look for "mypamperedpets" which is mischief and tinker's mum from here, she has posted several trio bonding videos.

As an additional note, M&TM has recently posted a bonding post in the bonding section

"Mairwen Guard" has also posted pair bonding videos on YouTube, which includes videos from bonds that worked out and bonds that didn't work

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

What sex are your rabbits and are they neutered?
My rabbits are all male, which I kbow can sometimes be tricky. They are all neutered now. One has just been done yesterday so I am waiting a minimum of a month before starting to introduce himto the others.

Back