• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female rabbit is actually a male

Layla124

New Kit
I recently bought two Netherland Dwarfs who I were told were sisters and are now around 12 weeks old, however, this morning I noticed that one was trying to hump the other so decided to check the genders just to be on the safe side and discovered that one of them is in fact a boy. I plan on getting him neutered in a week or so but I’m unsure what to do in the meantime. Should they be kept separate? Or would that upset them as they’ve been together since birth? And if I did separate them how would I go about introducing them again? All advice appreciated

I would perhaps consider separating although potentially it may be too late. It may unsettle them but it would remove for the time being, any possibility of more mounting.
Hopefully there will be some much more expert advice from more experienced ru’ers after my post.
I hope the neutering goes well for your buck and hope to see some pics of your buns soon.

I would perhaps consider separating although potentially it may be too late. It may unsettle them but it would remove for the time being, any possibility of more mounting.
Hopefully there will be some much more expert advice from more experienced ru’ers after my post.
I hope the neutering goes well for your buck and hope to see some pics of your buns soon.
I agree, I'd definitely separate, otherwise you could end up with a lot more rabbits [emoji51][emoji51]

Did a rabbit savvy vet confirm their genders? Only reason I ask is, my male rabbit was thought to be a girl for ages by loads of different vets, until I saw a rabbit savvy one who confirmed he was definitely a boy [emoji38] they're very hard to sex tbf.

I separated my male and female pair at around 12 weeks, then they were bonded back together after both their ops, and they'd recovered from them :)

Also should mention a female rabbit will hump another female rabbit [emoji38]

My female rabbit was always humping my male, she's top bun.
Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would take them both the a vet to get them accurately sexed. You could even have 2 boys. Either way, they will need neutering before they get too mature and you can get advice on this from the vet. Girls can usually be done from 6 months, boys from as soon as their testicles drop (so maybe quite soon in this case). Boys will still be fertile for a few weeks after neutering, and will show hormonal behaviour for a few months after. So if he was neutered now and you kept the pair together, there is a chance that girl could still become pregnant - so the advice would be to separate them now to avoid pregnancy and fighting as the hormones kick in (whatever mix you have), then re-bond after neutering.

Don't forget to ask the vet about vaccinating them as well - there's one for RHD1&2 and a combined myxo/ RHD1 vaccine. They need a 2 week gap between them, and 2 weeks again between vaccinating and neutering.

I had this same situation when I first got my two dutch rabbits. My vet recommended that they stay together as long as possible and get them both neutered on the same day, which is what I did. I don't think that my girl rabbit allowed him to get close enough to mate, but even if they did, they were getting spayed anyway. Best to get her spayed at the same time as you get your boy done.

Back