• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Replacement for towel

Hi, just a quick question regarding flooring used for rabbits. So my rabbit lives in a large pen in my bedroom. She is fully litter trained so there's no need for there to be newspaper, sawdust etc on the floor. My bedroom floor is very slippy laminate so she can't really run or hop on it. Up until the last few days, she has had a large, old towel on the floor for friction with no problems but recently she's been chewing on it a bit which has got gradually worse until this morning when I removed the towel all together. She is now just mainly sitting in her bed or litter box, not wishing to get up and move about as it's too slippy. So I'm wondering what I can put in instead to provide the surface she needs to run which would be safe or impossible for her to chew. (she is neutered and has plenty of toys and furniture designed for her to chew on.) . Thank you x

My bunnies aren't keen on walking on smooth floors either. I use a medley of quilt covers, fleeces etc. Or you can buy thin cotton rugs . Towells get more chewed than other things in this house - I've no idea why

Maybe get a length of non slip vinyl floor covering if you can, and put that down, as long as bunny cant chew the edges. I got an offcut once from a carpet shop, which didn't cost too much. Make sure your bunny has plenty of other things that they can chew on, which are bunny safe. You will find some ideas on here for making your own bunny toys.

My bunnies spent much of their time on towels or Carefresh bedding and I had only one who liked to eat them...you guessed it, it was my lionhead. :roll:

I think I had issues with her during her entire life of her eating flooring material. Sadly I don't think we ever successfully fixed the problem, but she learned to enjoy exercise while I supervised her on an old blanket, which she navigated well. Her sleeping time was pretty much spent in a pile of hay or in her litter tray. If you have a way to section off an area that you could leave a "hay floor" for her (needless to say, some waterproof/bunnyproof material underneath is a good idea as bunnies tend to wee/poo in their hay, or at least mine did) this might give her a better form of traction, or at least give her a place she feels comfortable "burrowing in."

Sorry, I wish I had better suggestions. Ideally I wish I could've had my bunnies spend some of their daytime out of doors but where we lived in the north the weather wasn't cooperative. They never got to enjoy the garden we have now, unfortunately.

Hopefully a solution can be found for Alaska.

I put a piece of plywood under Madelyn's pen. The edges are outside of her pen. I tried a length of runner walk off mat but she chewed through rubber backing. Some of my bunnies chew towels or fleece yet do not eat pieces.

Back