• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Green vegetables

OliveTree

Warren Scout
So I understand that rabbits would enjoy (but maybe not need?) about 10% of their diet to be leafy green vegetables - but not lettuce. I've read the thread about identifying garden weeds (plenty of those in my garden!) but I'd like to know what I can give them from the kitchen. I assume spinach, kale, cabbage and chard are all ok but what about broccoli and Brussels sprouts - stem, leaves or the bits that we eat? And are things like celery and cucumber ok? Finally, I've seen that herbs can be given - are there any herbs that I might buy from the supermarket that are not ok?

Thank you!

Everything you've mentioned is OK. Even lettuce in moderation. I give most of my kitchen veg scraps to either the bunnies or the guinea pigs.

No garlic or onions of any type (eg Spring onions).
No potatoes or potato peelings
Nothing cooked.
Tomato plants are toxic

Don't assume that just because it is OK, that the bunnies will actually eat it (eg parsnip, cucumber)

Have a look at this page and the ones linked to it as there are lists of suitable veg:
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

i find they LOVE brussel sprout tops.
also apple (sparingly), parsley, kale, carrots (sparingly), carrot tops, swede, sweetcorn, brocolli stems (which is handy 'cos i don't like the stems.
basically any green veg is worth trying. i think rabbits are pretty cautious when it comes to food - even tho it might be safe if may take a while before they choose to eat it - worth trying agiain if they turn their noses up at first.

Thank you, that's good to know. I was hoping they'd eat broccoli stems too, because no one here does! It's useful to know that they might be cautious at first, too. We're happy to keep persevering! Do you think it's better to offer the same thing a few days in a row, so they get used to it, or mix things up in the hope of finding something they like?

Thank you, that's good to know. I was hoping they'd eat broccoli stems too, because no one here does! It's useful to know that they might be cautious at first, too. We're happy to keep persevering! Do you think it's better to offer the same thing a few days in a row, so they get used to it, or mix things up in the hope of finding something they like?

this is what i would do to find out what they immediately like, but don't assume they don't like something at first as they may eat it in the future.
E.G. i grew lots of parsley this year for my buns as my previous buns loved it but (new bun) Pepper doesn't go for it at all but after about 3 months of offering it to Tulip she has finally started to eat it.

obviously it's handy if you can get them to eat the same stuff as yourself such as the brocolli stalks.

don't forget the free stuff too, like dandelion leaves, apple tree leaves (mine love them) etc

there's a foraging thread n here that might give you some good tips on free stuff. just make sure bun's vaccinations are up-to-date
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?455755-my-foraging-diary

Last edited:
Good to know all the options.
Any Change in diet should be introduced with small amounts at first. Some bunnies can also get gas from certain foods too, so another reason to start slowly.

Thank you. I think we'll try for a variety but small amounts of each to start off with so it's not too much of a shock to the system for them.

Back