• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which pellets?

OliveTree

Warren Scout
Hi, newbie here! Can I ask for pellet recommendations please? Preferably something that is fairly easy to get hold of as I live in a small town - we have a Pets at Home, and Wilkinson's sells some food I think, but I'm not sure where else I could buy something.

The bunnies are currently in a shelter and being fed whatever is donated, as far as I can tell, so they're not used to a specific brand.

Supreme Science Selective pellets are widely available and liked by bunnies. They are easy to hand feed as well as they are extruded.

mine like Burgess pellets. my local Tesco usually has it.
but pellets are only fed once a day & very sparingly. imo rabbits should have grass (or hay) & other natural veg as their main diet.

Thanks Mike. My Tesco doesn't have any rabbit food, unfortunately - cat and dog only in the pet aisle. I have read one egg cup of pellets per day per rabbit - does this sound right? Plus unlimited hay or grass, and green veg (which I've started another thread about). They're getting pellets and/or muesli (which I understand isn't great) in the shelter, along with their hay, so I was assuming we'd continue with that (minus the muesli) but only if it's good for the bunnies!

Eta: it looks as though I can have Burgess pellets and hay with my Tesco delivery, which might come in handy.

Thanks Mike. My Tesco doesn't have any rabbit food, unfortunately - cat and dog only in the pet aisle. I have read one egg cup of pellets per day per rabbit - does this sound right? Plus unlimited hay or grass, and green veg (which I've started another thread about). They're getting pellets and/or muesli (which I understand isn't great) in the shelter, along with their hay, so I was assuming we'd continue with that (minus the muesli) but only if it's good for the bunnies!

Eta: it looks as though I can have Burgess pellets and hay with my Tesco delivery, which might come in handy.

yes

yes

i don't know for sure but inclined to say muesli isn't great

my comments are just my opinion. i'm not an expert. i'm sure others on here with much more knowledge will advise.

I like burgess excel pellets too, especially how small they are, because as much as I like science selective they are large and bunnies have chocked on them before. With excel some peoples buns seem to suffer from excess cecotropes, so that's something to look out for if you feed those. I've not had an issue but I know some people have. Oxbow do some pellets which are even higher in fibre than both the excel and science selective ones, harder to get hold of though and my lot didn't really love them that much. There's also fibrefirst sticks which are great and high in fibre :)

Oh and pets at home will sell all the different science selective and excel pellets they do, fibrefirst amazon sell and VetUK sell different pellets too :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi mine have a small amount of the Sainsburys version of Burgess pellets and lots and lots of hay :)

Mine were always on burgess excel but recently I felt there was an awful lot of dust in each bag, and the rabbits weren’t eating all their pellets when I gave them then (same small portion as always). Now moved to science selective which have definitely been less dusty. I think some rabbits have their own preferences, I have had foster rabbits who will only eat certain brands and weren’t interested when trying to transition them to burgess.

Have the shelter said they don’t stick to a specific brand? The rescue I foster for always use burgess as standard although if the rabbits have been using a different brand prior to surrender we will feed that to start with then transition them over.

Thanks Casco. It sounds as if it will be a bit of trial and error then - I may not go for the largest bag!

I asked the shelter what they give them, and they said they use whatever has been donated. I'm wondering if I should start with a mix of muesli and pellets, because they've definitely been having some muesli and I've read somewhere that you shouldn't go straight from muesli to pellets.

Personally, I wouldn't use muesli at all. Pellets should form quite a small part of the diet anyway, and the bunnies are used to a variety of brands. Pick a couple of small bags and see how it goes. I still use a mix of two brands as I've had problems when a recipe changes, or the size of pellets changes - it helps to smooth out the blips.

Personally, I wouldn't use muesli at all. Pellets should form quite a small part of the diet anyway, and the bunnies are used to a variety of brands. Pick a couple of small bags and see how it goes. I still use a mix of two brands as I've had problems when a recipe changes, or the size of pellets changes - it helps to smooth out the blips.
I agree :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Back