• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit just sitting in his house, not eating

I'm really sorry Onanu is poorly. I seriously doubt it's anything you've done wrong. A lot of us find that the changes in the season and the ensuing moults can trigger a gut slow down.

I agree with what the others have said, the vet should usually give you oral meds (gut stimulants and pain relief) to administer yourself at home until he's better. It's also a good idea to try and get some recovery food down him as well to keep the gut moving.

Syringe feeding bunnies can be really difficult and stressful. I've found that it helps massively if you do it in a room they don't usually go in. They seem to play up a lot less in an unfamiliar environment.

Graciee makes a very good point about the vetergesic. I've found a lot of vets like to give that at the start of a stasis episode, however they don't warn owners that it's an opiate and that it can make their bunny seem very flat and unresponsive. It often sends people into a panic that their bunny has taken a sharp turn for the worse.

I really hope that Onanu starts to feel better soon and lots of vibes also for your dog.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I will try. Thank you.
Our vets are very good, I do trust them and have been always very satisfied with Onana and Lukaku. But now I feel like wanting to trust nobody, just want my Onana to get well again. I have put all food he likes and two water bowls around him.
How is Clementine? Is she better?

I forgot to ask what the injections were. He just said one is for pain, the others for the guts moving. He did not do a glucose test.
I think Onana is in bad pain. He sits with his head down, which I don't know from him.

It's so hard I know :(

You could always ring up and ask, or maybe it's on your bill? I normally get given a print out with everything they were given on it. Only asked because if it was Vetergesic it makes them very very sleepy and lasts maybe 8 hours? (Jane correct me pls [emoji51]) so that could explain his behaviour?

Clementine is finally doing much better, thank you for asking, she had stasis for about a month [emoji849] she's nearly off all meds all together.

Sending lots of vibes for him, now he's home he can relax x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you all. Also for your good wishes for our old boxer dog Watson. Unfortunately, he will leave us very soon, but he is very old and had a wonderful long life. Onana is not even a year old! He was so enjoying his life. I just can't believe it.

I am so glad to hear that Clementine is better. I hope she will stay totally fit and well now and enjoy her life.

I don't have any recovery food here. What should I get? With the syringe feeding I don't believe I will have any success. My other rabbit Lukaku was no problem, but Onana just hates the syringe. I will definitely try if it could save him but I am also scared to stress him even more.

Thank you all. Also for your good wishes for our old boxer dog Watson. Unfortunately, he will leave us very soon, but he is very old and had a wonderful long life. Onana is not even a year old! He was so enjoying his life. I just can't believe it.

I am so glad to hear that Clementine is better. I hope she will stay totally fit and well now and enjoy her life.

I don't have any recovery food here. What should I get? With the syringe feeding I don't believe I will have any success. My other rabbit Lukaku was no problem, but Onana just hates the syringe. I will definitely try if it could save him but I am also scared to stress him even more.

For syringe feeding, you can add water and mash up their normal pellets if you feed pellets? Into a paste and syringe that, if you don't have a wide tipped syringe you can use a fat one like 2.5ml one and cut the end to make it easier to get the liquidy paste out. Or you could buy critical care from your vets probably and they do a large syringe feeding syringe, but I'd see if given a few hours he'll eat by himself personally especially as you've said it'll really stress him out and I think it's better to get them to eat on their own.

You could ring and ask your vet if they think you should be syringe feeding though.

Sorry to hear about Watson x

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Graciee. You think I can still wait another hour? It is now two hours since we are back from the vet. Seems like so much longer

Thank you, Kattymieoww.

Thank you, Graciee. You think I can still wait another hour? It is now two hours since we are back from the vet. Seems like so much longer

Thank you, Kattymieoww.

Have you ascertained the name of the pain killer he was given ? If it was Vetergesic (Buprenorphine) then he is likely to remain very 'flat' for several hours. If he has shown no interest in food/water/moving in the next hour I'd call the Vet again for further advice. It is a shame that he was not given any fluid therapy (fluids given subcutaneously or IV) as fluids are very important in cases of gut stasis. You may already have read this information, but I'll post it again just in case you haven't

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Just spoke to the vet again. Yes, it was vetergesic what he was given. I am taking him back, so he can be given some fluids and food. I am so sad. Yesterday he was still so happy. I don't want him to lose his life.

I completely understand how worried you are as many of us have been there. I know stasis in bunnies is frightening, but try not to think of the worse case scenario. You've given him the very best chance of getting through this by getting him prompt veterinary care.

Best of luck at the vets.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Just spoke to the vet again. Yes, it was vetergesic what he was given. I am taking him back, so he can be given some fluids and food. I am so sad. Yesterday he was still so happy. I don't want him to lose his life.

Dont panic. Vetergesic can really knock some Bunnies right out, almost as if they are anaesthetised. So he probably seems a lot worse to you than he actually is. Some fluid therapy and syringe feeds will help. Personally I'd request a blood glucose test as a high blood glucose level is indicative of a potential GI tract obstruction.

https://veterinary-practice.com/article/working-together-on-gut-stasis

Sending lots more vibes

well done on getting to a vet asap. i'm hoping for the best, you have been very prompt with your actions which gives him the best chance possible. xxx.

You must be so stressed. Thinking of you and I have everything crossed for good news. x

Wishing you all the best. I can appreciate how stressful and worrying this is, fingers and paws crossed he starts eating soon.

Thank you all so so much for all your help and thoughts. At the vets we were for almost two hours and I am just so grateful for our lovely vet and a wonderful nurse who loves rabbits and said: "They are the most fascinating, most exotic, most complicated animals of all - and yet they are sold over the counter." Onana was given fluids via injection and then I was taught how to proper syringe feed him. I fed him recovery food and pineapple juice and infacol every two hours through the night and had him on a warming disc and he made it through the night. There is almost no outcome at the other end - only two balls, but they look normal but he is livelier and has started eating a bit of hay. We are back at the vets at 9. Please keep us in your thoughts!

Thank you all so so much for all your help and thoughts. At the vets we were for almost two hours and I am just so grateful for our lovely vet and a wonderful nurse who loves rabbits and said: "They are the most fascinating, most exotic, most complicated animals of all - and yet they are sold over the counter." Onana was given fluids via injection and then I was taught how to proper syringe feed him. I fed him recovery food and pineapple juice and infacol every two hours through the night and had him on a warming disc and he made it through the night. There is almost no outcome at the other end - only two balls, but they look normal but he is livelier and has started eating a bit of hay. We are back at the vets at 9. Please keep us in your thoughts!

It can take a good few hours for any real output to resume after Bunny had stopped eating. It sounds as though Onana is improving and I hope the Vet confirms this at today's appointment. Good luck xx

seems like an upward turn. so happy for you & fingers crossed for more improvement today xxx

I'm really pleased to read this update. I hope that Onana makes further improvements today. Well done for your actions yesterday. I hope today's vet visit goes well.

Really hope your bunny has improved overnight, and that he has started nibbling a bit more. Good luck at the vets x

I hope he’s continued to improve under your excellent care :love:topping up the vibes and sending you some hugs xx

Back