• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit just sitting in his house, not eating

Onana & Lukaku

Warren Scout
Please help me!
Onana, my almost one year old male rabbit, who normally is very active and eats lots of hay, is since two hours just sitting in his house and not touching any food, not even treats. I have tried everything. I am so worried about him but I can't get him to the vet before 5pm. His belly feels soft and normal and he has eaten and done a normal poo last night. I am just so helpless. Is it safe to wait to this afternoon?

Please help me!
Onana, my almost one year old male rabbit, who normally is very active and eats lots of hay, is since two hours just sitting in his house and not touching any food, not even treats. I have tried everything. I am so worried about him but I can't get him to the vet before 5pm. His belly feels soft and normal and he has eaten and done a normal poo last night. I am just so helpless. Is it safe to wait to this afternoon?

I am sorry that Onana is unwell.

Does he feel colder to the touch than usual ? Is he drinking ?

Maybe you could call your Vet for some advice, they may be able to see him before 5pm.

I'm sorry that Onana is unwell today. I have to admit that I would prefer one of my rabbits in this situation to be seen by a vet before 5pm. As is so often the case with rabbits, when you find a rabbit in this situation early morning, you'll have no way of knowing when the condition actually started.

If it's the case that the receptionist has said the vet cannot see you before 5pm, I would ring again and stress that you are concerned. They should be aware that a rabbit not eating is somewhat of an emergency.

Best of luck and I hope that Onana is soon better again.

Thank you Omi and Jane. My vet would see him immediately, and I would also leave my work, as I can't concentrate anyway. But I do have a very sick dog at home that cannot be left alone under no circumstances. I will keep phoning people and ask them if they could come and sit with my dog so I can take Onana to the vet. He doesn't feel colder to me, but he doesn't eat or drink. At least he has come out of his house now but still sitting in one spot, which is not like him.

I do think I know when it started, as when I started working at 5am he was eating. It was when I came back into my office at 8am after seeing my husband and my son off, that he was like this. He has had mornings when he wouldn't eat so much but he would always take a treat.

One question: We are at the moment trying to re-bond him with my other rabbit Lukaku and had to separate them yesterday just before a fight broke out. Could that have to do with it? There were no injuries.

Yes, the bonding attempt could certainly have been a factor, but not definitely.

Sending lots of vibes for your poorly dog.

We are back from the vet. Onana's guts are not moving. He got three injections, one for the pain and two for the guts. Temperature, teeth and weight he found good, and the belly not hard. He thinks he will start eating now, and we should then come back tomorrow in the morning. But now he is sitting here, not touching food at all, not moving, just like before and I am scared to death. He was totally stressed out at the vet, otherwise I would take him right back.

Did the vet give you any gut meds to give him at home? Did they tell you to syringe feed him at all? Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and he will feel like eating. topping up the vibes xx

We are back from the vet. Onana's guts are not moving. He got three injections, one for the pain and two for the guts. Temperature, teeth and weight he found good, and the belly not hard. He thinks he will start eating now, and we should then come back tomorrow in the morning. But now he is sitting here, not touching food at all, not moving, just like before and I am scared to death. He was totally stressed out at the vet, otherwise I would take him right back.
Will he be tempted with any herbs? Or veggies? Really sorry he's not eating, hopefully after he's calmed down and the meds have kicked in he'll start to nibble some bits. Sending lots of vibes xx

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

No, he didn't give me anything. He said he doesn't think syringe feeding is needed as he should start eating when the medicine starts working. If not we phone anyway. But syringe feeding is totally impossible with Onana, he will not take it. I had that with the medicine after his neutering. I just phoned him again and he said I should leave Onana alone, no stress, it takes more time to work. But I feel it is wrong me just sitting here doing nothing.

Thank you, Graciee. I have just tried everything he normally likes. He is not touching anything. Coriander ,Mint, Basil and Dill are his favourites. He wants none. And his favourite food of all his hay, which he always eats but now when I put it in front of him, he bites it in half and let the halves fall down.

I love him so much. If anything happens to him I never want a pet again. He is such a young, happy playful little friend. How can he be so sick so suddenly? Have I given him something wrong?

Is your vet rabbit savvy? He needs to be eating, lots of vibes that he starts eating soon. I'm surprised they didn't keep him in for a bit to make sure he was eating or at least give you meds to give to him if he doesn't when the others wear off. Looks like he's still in pain to me.

Doughnut is hard to syringe feed as she wriggles so much but I sit her up with one hand and tilt her head back a bit with the other and the syringe.

Thank you, Graciee. I have just tried everything he normally likes. He is not touching anything. Coriander ,Mint, Basil and Dill are his favourites. He wants none. And his favourite food of all his hay, which he always eats but now when I put it in front of him, he bites it in half and let the halves fall down.

Ahh yes the classic biting the hay in half move, my bun Clementine has that move down [emoji38]

I'd try to let him relax a little and keep everything chill and calm and see if he starts to nibble in a while. I'd also make sure there's veggies and herbs near him if he feels like it.

Did the vet do a blood glucose test? Is the vet rabbit savvy?

It would take a little while for the medication to kick in, the good thing is he's had it. Do you know what the injections were exactly? Was one Vetergesic?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

No, he didn't give me anything. He said he doesn't think syringe feeding is needed as he should start eating when the medicine starts working. If not we phone anyway. But syringe feeding is totally impossible with Onana, he will not take it. I had that with the medicine after his neutering. I just phoned him again and he said I should leave Onana alone, no stress, it takes more time to work. But I feel it is wrong me just sitting here doing nothing.

I agree with this. Just try to let him rest for a couple of hours. I know that it is hard, but try not to be all stressy yourself when you are with him as he will pick up on that. Just leave a variety of foods and a bowl of water nearby and try to stand back and observe from a distance for a while x

I will try. Thank you.
Our vets are very good, I do trust them and have been always very satisfied with Onana and Lukaku. But now I feel like wanting to trust nobody, just want my Onana to get well again. I have put all food he likes and two water bowls around him.
How is Clementine? Is she better?

I forgot to ask what the injections were. He just said one is for pain, the others for the guts moving. He did not do a glucose test.
I think Onana is in bad pain. He sits with his head down, which I don't know from him.

Back