• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden lopping in 'middle-aged' bunny

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Aboleth has gone all helicoptery on us. I am sure I read on here sometime in the last 5yrs(!) that this might indicate something, but I can't for the life of me remember what, and a search has proven unfruitful. We noticed Saturday that one of her ears was more consistently loppy than usual (she does often semi-lop them if she's tired etc.) and this has only gotten 'worse' (more real-loppy) over Sunday and into this morning. Here's some (terrible, sorry) pictures:

Saturday night ('normal' loppiness for Aboleth when tired, but lasting longer):

71479944_10103583461218788_910958775320444928_n.jpg

Last night (full on trying to look like Lopsy on one side):

71724116_10103583461143938_2173744529746690048_o.jpg

71940719_10103583461173878_1531848550529368064_n.jpg

It'll go back up when I move it, but lops back down after a while: she's not fussed by me moving it about, in fact she might even be less fussed by me moving it about now than she was before, which is probably the only other change although she does sometimes let me manhandle her ears and sometimes not. I haven't been able to get a good look inside in daylight, but nothing feels untoward around the base or on the ear itself, so it's not any warmer than it should be, and it doesn't look noticeably red from what I've been able to see (but, as I said, i haven't been able to get a good look inside in good light yet). She's otherwise totally normal as far as we can tell, and Lopsy's reacting to her normally as well. Interestingly, it's on her eyeless side, so I dunno if that might affect it, but at least she's not lost any vision from having an ear in the way ;P

She's no younger than 5.5yrs: we adopted her as an adult in July 2015 and she seems the same age as Lopsy (now 6.5) but could be older. She's never had any known health issues that needed vet treatment apart from her eye abscess (when at the rescue) but she has had very acute discomfort episodes for up to a couple of hours during spring moult, due to fur ingestion. Her adoption card from the rescue indicates she could be a dwarf lop cross, and her teeth are more rubbish than Lopsy's (but have never needed vet attention) but she has no other lop signs. She's moulting into winter coat now, her face was super tatty-looking on Thursday and Friday :)

She's not the best vet visitor, and I'm inclined to wait and see for a week or so to see what happens unless something else starts being weird. But anything I should be looking out for, potential causes etc., would be appreciated :)

I think sudden lopping is often caused by ear problems, although I’ve not experienced it.

Unusual lopping usually indicates the start of something. Could be anything. The last one of mine that did this had EC and started dragging her back legs a bit a week or two later, but the ears went first and, although I noticed, there was initially nothing else of note.

Often in warm weather they can lop due to extra blood in the ear for a cooling effect (so the ears are heavier than normal).
Could be an ear infection.
Could be something else, or could be just one of those things and it will pass. Not easy to decide. You know your bunny - keep a close eye on her for anything else and if anything else isn't right, get her looked at.

Thanks both. We'll 'watch and wait' and if something else starts to show, she'll be off to the vets :)

I agree that it could be the beginnings of an ear infection and it wouldn't be something you'd necessarily see a lot of sensitivity with until it gets bad. I'm hoping not but a quick trip to the vet wouldn't go amiss. I use to keep an otoscope handy for Mimzy because he was prone to infections and then developed head tilt (probably EC related) but when it came down to it, the doc could find stuff better with a swab than I could with my scope.

Sometimes they get little plugs of ear wax lodged deep down too, so that might be something going on around a bend in the canal that you mayn't be able to see outright.

Does she seem to hear well out that side or is her response diminished at all?

Does she seem to hear well out that side or is her response diminished at all?
Yesterday when Matt came home with the usual ton of forage, both ears were responsive, but I don't know if she hears any worse out of it really. I was trying to attract their attention to some chickweed I dangled through the run top yesterday as well, so i rapped the bars with my fingers (it makes a tinkling sound) and she heard that just fine.

Her loppy ear hasn't got any less loppy, and since Monday afternoon has been definitely warmer to the touch (inside) than the other, although it wasn't as warm last night but was warmer again this morning. It's not any different looking, maybe a bit plumper but not red or anything. I'll book an appointment for her on my way home from work today: she won't be happy about that (nor will Lopsy as he'll have to come too!) but better safe than sorry while she's still being normal (she was trying to hump Lopsy yesterday :roll:)

Thanks again everyone!

So., I booked a vet appointment for Friday on my way home yesterday: I could have gone today but I'm in my second day at my new job, and she was still right-as-rain so I felt Friday would be fine. The vet nurse booking did give me a proper dirty look when I said it could wait though, which I appreciated! Anyway, today, the little madam has very similar ear temperatures and is keeping her loppy ear up most of the time :roll: If it's still OK or better when I get home I'll probably cancel the appointment so someone with more urgent issues can be seen :) Also saves stressing the poor things out!

Bigwig did this recently, although she is only 1 and her brothers are full lop. Just the one ear, within a few days it went back to being 'uppy'! They like to keep us on our toes!

I hope the ears stay up and you are able to cancel the appointment for tomorrow. They just like to worry us half the time :roll:

Thanks everyone! She was even better when I got home. Not 100% but more than 80%, much improved since this morning so I cancelled it :) Bloomin' rabbits :censored: :lol: If it gets warm and/or loppy again, we'll be off to the vets much quicker than 4 days this time! :D

Back