Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sweet dreams Rudey

My dog has calcium oxalate stones and I'm not sure if it's the same in bunnies but he has no difficulty urinating and his wee doesn't look sludgy. He had big stones at one point but no symptoms. The results normally do say positive/negative. Craig has summed it up nicely from what I've picked up at the vets! I hope you get some clarity from the vet soon

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Results back. I wasn't expecting positive & negatives written. do they normally look like this

Please find in this email Rudy's urine results and our recommendations based on these as discussed over the phone.
    Leukocytes neg -No white blood cells, which would be present when bacterial infection is involved

Nitrite neg- as Craig mentioned, supports the above findings

Urobilinogen neg- In cases of Liver Disease Urobilinogen would probably be detected

Protein + On a Diptest there are various parameters shown as '+' '++', '+++' etc depending on the exact amount of protein found. Traces of protein in the urine of adult Rabbits is usually not clinically significant. If the urine is very dilute it may indicate renal problems

pH 8 Normal Range for Adult Rabbits is 7-9.

Blood neg - if blood were to be present it means there is some inflammation somewhere in the Urinary Tract/genitals. If present in the Urine of an entire Doe it *might* point toward Uterine Cancer

Ketone neg- These would be present in cases of Anorexia, Hepatic Lipidosis ('Fatty Liver' ), Pregnancy Toxaemia and Diabetes Melitus

Bilirubin neg See explanation re 'Urobilinogen' above

Glucose neg -if found may be due to stress or an underlying disease process. Repeated testing in a 'low stress' environment needed. Glucose is also likely to be found in the urine when Hepatic Lipidosis is involved , in renal failure and sometimes in Diabetes Melitus

SG 1.015 -SG is 'Specific Gravity' AKA relative density. In Rabbit urine it may be difficult to measure accurately because of the crystalline content

Sediment exam: lots of aggregations of the Ca oxalate, no blood, few cocci - In Rabbits lots of crystals are often found and this is 'normal'. After the process known as 'centrifugation' or 'settlement' the crystals in a 'normal' Rabbit urine sample should resuspend when the sample is shaken.
    If there is no sediment at all this may point to a few conditions such as hypocalcaemia (low blood calcium), renal failure,pregnancy and lactation. It can also occur in young Rabbits who are still growing

'Few Cocci' indicates that a small amount of the gram positive bacteria were found. This may not be of clinical relevance but it might point toward kidney stones

What does everybun think? xx
    Put my answers in red !! Will be interested to hear what your RS Vet says, my thoughts are totally unqualified
    Last edited by Jack's-Jane; 08-10-2019 at 05:24 AM. Reason: typo

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Edgar needs a Forever Home http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...nham-SW-London

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    My dog has calcium oxalate stones and I'm not sure if it's the same in bunnies but he has no difficulty urinating and his wee doesn't look sludgy. He had big stones at one point but no symptoms. The results normally do say positive/negative. Craig has summed it up nicely from what I've picked up at the vets! I hope you get some clarity from the vet soon
    Poor boy. Do they bother him & how were they diagnosed.

That's useful to know - I guess the stones just wouldn't be blocking anything, therefore weeing normally

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Put my answers in red !! Will be interested to hear what your RS Vet says, my thoughts are totally unqualified
    JJ you are a superstar, thanks so much. Very kind of you (& Craig) to go through everything for me

Had an email fail last night. Called Crab Lane this morning & my vet is off til Thursday

Poor boy. Do they bother him & how were they diagnosed.

That's useful to know - I guess the stones just wouldn't be blocking anything, therefore weeing normally
    No, they were a completely incidental finding. He had swallowed a fruit stone so had an X ray and ultrasound and that's how they were found. They're being managed now luckily. I'm sorry your vets away until Thursday so you're still waiting

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

I'm pleased your doggies issue is managed well Liz

I've just read online that some bunnies form sludge, others form stones & they don't know why - found that interesting.

So is a scan better than xrays?
    If he has stones would he have an op to remove them?

Poor mite. He actually looks brighter the past few days & is eating healthier stuff (he was off hay & forage for a while)

I've just read online that some bunnies form sludge, others form stones & they don't know why - found that interesting.

Poor mite. He actually looks brighter the past few days & is eating healthier stuff (he was off hay & forage for a while)
    Anything calcified is really easy to see on x-ray, I suspect that would be more useful but that's a hunch. I have only known FHB and co use scan on a couple of occasions (looking for liver tumour/torsion and Heather checking Esme's fatty lump before removing it) everything else they seemed to go for x-ray.

Do you anticipate stones rather than sludge, is there a reason for that?
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Idk Tbh but my vet used ultrasound and xrays to look at Clementines sludge, she did an ultrasound whilst she flushed the bladder too I think? Idk what's better though and every xray we do it's easy to see if there's sludge in the bladder or not, xrays seem to be the best way of quickly seeing what's going on in the bladder

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    Anything calcified is really easy to see on x-ray, I suspect that would be more useful but that's a hunch. I have only known FHB and co use scan on a couple of occasions (looking for liver tumour/torsion and Heather checking Esme's fatty lump before removing it) everything else they seemed to go for x-ray.

Do you anticipate stones rather than sludge, is there a reason for that?
    Thats good to know - thanks. I'm hoping they will do a conscious one. I don't think there is anything to suggest sludge ? My wee is sludgier than Rudeys