• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sweet dreams Rudey

My dog has calcium oxalate stones and I'm not sure if it's the same in bunnies but he has no difficulty urinating and his wee doesn't look sludgy. He had big stones at one point but no symptoms. The results normally do say positive/negative. Craig has summed it up nicely from what I've picked up at the vets! I hope you get some clarity from the vet soon

Results back. I wasn't expecting positive & negatives written. do they normally look like this

Please find in this email Rudy's urine results and our recommendations based on these as discussed over the phone.
Leukocytes neg -No white blood cells, which would be present when bacterial infection is involved

Nitrite neg- as Craig mentioned, supports the above findings

Urobilinogen neg- In cases of Liver Disease Urobilinogen would probably be detected

Protein + On a Diptest there are various parameters shown as '+' '++', '+++' etc depending on the exact amount of protein found. Traces of protein in the urine of adult Rabbits is usually not clinically significant. If the urine is very dilute it may indicate renal problems

pH 8 Normal Range for Adult Rabbits is 7-9.

Blood neg - if blood were to be present it means there is some inflammation somewhere in the Urinary Tract/genitals. If present in the Urine of an entire Doe it *might* point toward Uterine Cancer

Ketone neg- These would be present in cases of Anorexia, Hepatic Lipidosis ('Fatty Liver' ), Pregnancy Toxaemia and Diabetes Melitus

Bilirubin neg See explanation re 'Urobilinogen' above

Glucose neg -if found may be due to stress or an underlying disease process. Repeated testing in a 'low stress' environment needed. Glucose is also likely to be found in the urine when Hepatic Lipidosis is involved , in renal failure and sometimes in Diabetes Melitus

SG 1.015 -SG is 'Specific Gravity' AKA relative density. In Rabbit urine it may be difficult to measure accurately because of the crystalline content

Sediment exam: lots of aggregations of the Ca oxalate, no blood, few cocci - In Rabbits lots of crystals are often found and this is 'normal'. After the process known as 'centrifugation' or 'settlement' the crystals in a 'normal' Rabbit urine sample should resuspend when the sample is shaken.
If there is no sediment at all this may point to a few conditions such as hypocalcaemia (low blood calcium), renal failure,pregnancy and lactation. It can also occur in young Rabbits who are still growing

'Few Cocci' indicates that a small amount of the gram positive bacteria were found. This may not be of clinical relevance but it might point toward kidney stones

What does everybun think? xx

Put my answers in red !! Will be interested to hear what your RS Vet says, my thoughts are totally unqualified :)

Last edited:
My dog has calcium oxalate stones and I'm not sure if it's the same in bunnies but he has no difficulty urinating and his wee doesn't look sludgy. He had big stones at one point but no symptoms. The results normally do say positive/negative. Craig has summed it up nicely from what I've picked up at the vets! I hope you get some clarity from the vet soon

Poor boy. Do they bother him & how were they diagnosed.

That's useful to know - I guess the stones just wouldn't be blocking anything, therefore weeing normally

Poor boy. Do they bother him & how were they diagnosed.

That's useful to know - I guess the stones just wouldn't be blocking anything, therefore weeing normally

No, they were a completely incidental finding. He had swallowed a fruit stone so had an X ray and ultrasound and that's how they were found. They're being managed now luckily. I'm sorry your vets away until Thursday so you're still waiting :(

I'm pleased your doggies issue is managed well Liz

I've just read online that some bunnies form sludge, others form stones & they don't know why - found that interesting.

So is a scan better than xrays?
If he has stones would he have an op to remove them?

Poor mite. He actually looks brighter the past few days & is eating healthier stuff (he was off hay & forage for a while)

I've just read online that some bunnies form sludge, others form stones & they don't know why - found that interesting.

Poor mite. He actually looks brighter the past few days & is eating healthier stuff (he was off hay & forage for a while)

Anything calcified is really easy to see on x-ray, I suspect that would be more useful but that's a hunch. I have only known FHB and co use scan on a couple of occasions (looking for liver tumour/torsion and Heather checking Esme's fatty lump before removing it) everything else they seemed to go for x-ray.

Do you anticipate stones rather than sludge, is there a reason for that?

Idk Tbh but my vet used ultrasound and xrays to look at Clementines sludge, she did an ultrasound whilst she flushed the bladder too I think? Idk what's better though and every xray we do it's easy to see if there's sludge in the bladder or not, xrays seem to be the best way of quickly seeing what's going on in the bladder :)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Anything calcified is really easy to see on x-ray, I suspect that would be more useful but that's a hunch. I have only known FHB and co use scan on a couple of occasions (looking for liver tumour/torsion and Heather checking Esme's fatty lump before removing it) everything else they seemed to go for x-ray.

Do you anticipate stones rather than sludge, is there a reason for that?

Thats good to know - thanks. I'm hoping they will do a conscious one. I don't think there is anything to suggest sludge ? My wee is sludgier than Rudeys

Idk Tbh but my vet used ultrasound and xrays to look at Clementines sludge, she did an ultrasound whilst she flushed the bladder too I think? Idk what's better though and every xray we do it's easy to see if there's sludge in the bladder or not, xrays seem to be the best way of quickly seeing what's going on in the bladder :)

cheers graicee, good to have more confirmation xrays should do the trick

If he has stones would they be removed?
Idk... I would assume so.. Unless they aren't causing any issues...? But Idk if that's possible in buns.. Obviously in humans you can have them and it be okay.. We need Jane [emoji38]

Thats good to know - thanks. I'm hoping they will do a conscious one. I don't think there is anything to suggest sludge ? My wee is sludgier than Rudeys
My vet said most if not all bunnies have some sludge, because of the way they absorb all calcium in their food. Normally sitting in the belly of the bladder (am I making any sense? [emoji38]) so even if he has some sludge and it wasn't causing issues I'd say that's probably fine.. Clementines bladder was full of sludge, when she was on her diuretic the bladder was crystal clear, now she has a little bit in the bottom of it, like I normal amount which seems to be staying the same.

All her xrays have been conscious, except a couple, one at trinity where they basically did every possible test on her, and I think a couple when she was put out for the bladder flush.. But majority have been conscious xrays.

There was nothing to suggest Artie had sludge in his bladder as he never weed any out until the day he was in agony and did a massive, massive wee full of blood and chalk :cry: It turned out that he didn't fully empty his bladder (for reasons unknown to FHB as his spine looked okay so not a positional problem). So he only passed the clear part of the urine and the sediment sunk and stayed in his bladder. Thinking about it, Arthur also has bladder sludge and I had no idea (again no sludgy wee), I only know because when he was in stasis and had an x-ray it showed in his bladder. So, clear wee could actually, strangely, be bladder sludge issue.

There was nothing to suggest Artie had sludge in his bladder as he never weed any out until the day he was in agony and did a massive, massive wee full of blood and chalk :cry: It turned out that he didn't fully empty his bladder (for reasons unknown to FHB as his spine looked okay so not a positional problem). So he only passed the clear part of the urine and the sediment sunk and stayed in his bladder. Thinking about it, Arthur also has bladder sludge and I had no idea (again no sludgy wee), I only know because when he was in stasis and had an x-ray it showed in his bladder. So, clear wee could actually, strangely, be bladder sludge issue.

ahhh, I see. So much to learn about this. No one has mention sludge until now. Well i'm guessing xrays are next up & we'll see whats what. He is a super chilled bunny - he sat still during consult & was apparently really good having bloods too. He'd be perfect for a conscious xray

That was very readable. Thank You. I can cope with graphic much better than complicated

I feel a tad better that there might be stuff to help him now

He's a lucky lad to have you as his Carer. He has sneaked online to message my lot though & they say that in his situation extra forage and scrummy herbs are an essential :lol: I told you it was a bad idea to give your Bunnies Internet access.................... ;) :lol:

He's a lucky lad to have you as his Carer. He has sneaked online to message my lot though & they say that in his situation extra forage and scrummy herbs are an essential :lol: I told you it was a bad idea to give your Bunnies Internet access.................... ;) :lol:

ha ha - he can have as much forage as he likes :love: He is tucking in to winter rations of dried as we speak. He had geranium & pear leaves for breakfast followed by a massive chunk of cucumber. Booble & Rudey love cucumber, Mouse & Joey are like WTF are you eating

Back